Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTPI backend system to be updated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Capwell

In my home solution I do start with tripUpdates and work from there. I have a bit of config in Home Assistant which specifies the Routes and Stops I am interested in, i.e. those near my house. The solution stopped working after I updated to the new static data and the issue was the change in Route IDs. Once I changed these in my config, everything works fine again. I was just wondering why they changed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Who knows why the route_id changed. While it is GTFS best practice to persist it across feed iterations it is not a requirement of the spec.

You might find the route short name works better but there would be an extra level of indirection. Basically while you may get away with TripUpdates as a starting point, the design of GTFS is that it supplements the static feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

Looks like realtime coverage has disappeared again for Dublin Bus. GoAhead seems fine. There must be something very unreliable that bridges between Dublin Bus' realtime system and the NTA's GTFS system as DB journeys have been intermittently missing from the GTFS-R system for months now. Very frustrating :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Has the RTPI.ie service been discontinued?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Has the RTPI.ie service been discontinued?

It is still working fine for me currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's working now.

It use to show real time now it seems to only show predicted. It's been like this since the update in early December.

It use to show real time now it seems to only show predicted. It's been like this since the update in early December.

Now that I double check it, it's showing predicted times for Dublin Bus routes - go ahead, LUAS and Bus Eireann are still showing real-time however.

It can be fun figuring this out but if you're looking for an easier way you're welcome to leverage of my backend. Send me the stop ids of the stops you are interested in and I will construct the URL(s) for you. Data is returned in JSON format
    Who knows why the route_id changed. While it is GTFS best practice to persist it across feed iterations it is not a requirement of the spec.

You might find the route short name works better but there would be an extra level of indirection. Basically while you may get away with TripUpdates as a starting point, the design of GTFS is that it supplements the static feeds.

Yes, I replied too quickly last time. I start with Trips and find the next trips passing my local stops for today and then eliminate the ones I am not interested in before applying the realtime data to the relevant stops on the trips selected. During the early part of the pandemic, there was often no stop time update as I guess the buses were running on time as per the schedule. This is probably also true over the holidays.

if anyone is interested in how it fits into Home Assistant (as a 'bus' sensor) follow the link below where I posted the code. I use it to drive a permanent display in my kitchen for my 2 local buses. Uses a Nextion LCD display.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/gtfs-and-or-gtfs-realtime-not-working/147761/17?u=jerry_or

• Advertisement

Not sure if this was recent or not, but the updated gtfs realtime feed has now been fully integrated into Google & Apple maps

p_haugh wrote: »
    Not sure if this was recent or not, but the updated gtfs realtime feed has now been fully integrated into Google & Apple maps

Times are completely different to DB. Real time never recovered from it going down before Christmas. Only the DB seems to be in any way accurate.

Times are completely different to DB. Real time never recovered from it going down before Christmas. Only the DB seems to be in any way accurate.

Apologies but what is "the DB" ?

Apologies but what is "the DB" ?

No bother at all, it's Dublin Bus.

Anyone else find the GTFS realtime feed has no data ? From about 4am this morning

Anyone else find the GTFS realtime feed has no data ? From about 4am this morning

Yep down for me too. Have sent an email to NTA but no reply. Suspect it won’t be fixed until next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

No bother at all, it's Dublin Bus.

Could be Deutsche Bahn I suppose :D

GT89 wrote: »
    Could be Deutsche Bahn I suppose :D

Only thing I could see in my head at the time was DataBase. That's what you get from years of working with them ðŸ˜

Reply from NTA just now:
    Hi,

We are currently investigating the upstream system to identify the root cause

regards

NTA

EDIT: looks like its back up now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I just get 404 error on rtpi now. Also DB has not been actually live tracking since Christmas on any route I take anyway. Go Ahead is live but DB is just giving the timetabled arrival time regardless of reality. Surely that is utterly unacceptable at this stage?!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I just get 404 error on rtpi now. Also DB has not been actually live tracking since Christmas on any route I take anyway. Go Ahead is live but DB is just giving the timetabled arrival time regardless of reality. Surely that is utterly unacceptable at this stage?!

Is that on the DB or TFI app?

GT89 wrote: »
    Is that on the DB or TFI app?

Well the 404 error is from here:

http://www.rtpi.ie/text/WebDisplay.aspx?stopRef=495&stopName=Westland+Row

The lack of live tracking is on the TFI app and was also an issue on that site. All since the issue in December.

That RPTI endpoint is now dead as per the first post in this thread. There are some DB routes still not tracking in the new GTFS-R system and on TFI's own realtime app. Ones I've noticed are 7A, 39A and 41C but I'm sure there are more. The NTA acknowledged the issue when emailed about it, and I was given a date of March 15th for this to be resolved which has come and gone. Will follow up with them again.

smackyB wrote: »
    That RPTI endpoint is now dead as per the first post in this thread. There are some DB routes still not tracking in the new GTFS-R system and on TFI's own realtime app. Ones I've noticed are 7A, 39A and 41C but I'm sure there are more. The NTA acknowledged the issue when emailed about it, and I was given a date of March 15th for this to be resolved which has come and gone. Will follow up with them again.

OK, thanks. I don't really understand the terminology, but I think I get you now. Someone here had linked to that text site years ago and it was more reliable than the app. Is there a link to the replacement?

I have been using the TFI app for the moment but only Go Ahead routes have a flashing Real Time icon apart from the 40, of the buses I use. So 25a/b, 66/a/b/x ,15b, all not tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

smackyB wrote: »

Would it be something got to do with the bus routes having suffixes? I notice for example on the next bus dublin app. The Go Ahead Commuter routes are listed as 120-1,120-2,120-3 instead of 120A,120B,120C for example. This also seems to affect Dublin Bus 120 or 130 showing in the bus route list.

Fizzy Duck wrote: »
    Would it be something got to do with the bus routes having suffixes? I notice for example on the next bus dublin app. The Go Ahead Commuter routes are listed as 120-1,120-2,120-3 instead of 120A,120B,120C for example. This also seems to affect Dublin Bus 120 or 130 showing in the bus route list.

It does seem to be something to do with suffixes but doesn’t affect all e.g. the 46A is unaffected. It only seems to affect Dublin Bus routes.

The NTA has the 120 route variants named like that for some reason, it also affects a few others like the 45A and 63A but I’ve done some manual work to rename those routes, will add the 120 to that list too.

The Dublin Bus routes 120 & 130 not showing in NBD is a bug I need to address for sure.

Hi,

My system is not working this morning and I noticed that the calendar has expired for some services, e.g.

"1#1","0","0","1","0","1","1","1","20201224","20210327"

I've downloaded the latest data but it is unchanged. Anyone else seeing the problem?

Capwell wrote: »
    Hi,

My system is not working this morning and I noticed that the calendar has expired for some services, e.g.

"1#1","0","0","1","0","1","1","1","20201224","20210327"

I've downloaded the latest data but it is unchanged. Anyone else seeing the problem?

Expired services in the GTFS calendar is normal enough and is due to overlapping schedules. All active schedules however should reference a service with active dates.

Hi,

I guess I was expecting some new time slices for the existing service codes. As I scrolled down the Calendar file further, I see that a whole new set of service codes has been introduced. Loading the new database this morning, test later.

• Advertisement

Everything is loaded and the system works again. Takes about 3 hours to load on a raspberry Pi 3b.

However, some of my local route codes have changed, an exact reversal of what was done at the end of 2020.

e.g.

route: '60-16-b12-1' has changed to '60-16-d12-1'

Does anyone have an explanation for why those changes are made?

Advertisement