Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Seriously?
    You think it's ok to post that ?

Everyday, it's why women are terrible drivers

Their tits get in the way of the steering wheel

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    99nsr125 for that kinda nonsense don't post in this thread again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Wibbs wrote: »
    99nsr125 for that kinda nonsense don't post in this thread again.

So it's ok to call trump an eijit and a thundering prick but I can't use satire

By the way the tits and steering wheel is a reference to campaign that says car safety design is sexist

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    One is an opinion on an individual politician and celebrity, the other is pointed at a whole gender. Take a week off to consider the difference

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭cms88

Tomorrow is International Day of Women and Girls in Science. It is a good time to look at those barriers and also to see how we might break them down. The Women on Walls project, which has been putting a series of portraits of women on walls since 2016, is a great way to highlight women’s often-overlooked achievements.

Genuine question. What are these barriers? As far as I can see there's far more supports for girls getting into science, than there are for boys.

It's funny how they never actually have an answer for this question. At the same time the question is never asked.

Then again none of these women like to be questioned.

It's like the whole cervical cancer thing in recent years. Men can get it, granted not often, yet it's reported as a women only issue. At one point someone was questioned about that and she said because it's rarer in men it's not really a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

With ‘I Hate Men,’ a French Feminist Touches a Nerve
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/books/pauline-harmange-i-hate-men.html

I think this article would almost certainly have been written a lot differently if it was discussing men who had written articles about why they hate women.

Also it doesn't make clear that the French civil servant who complained about the book was, as I understand it, referring to some law that banned hate speech with regard to gender and the like. Not sure whether it is this law:
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/news/france-adopts-tough-law-against-online-hate-speech/ or another one but I remember another article discussing the law.

It looks like there is one standard for men and one standard for women, i.e. double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lucalux

cms88 wrote: »
    It's funny how they never actually have an answer for this question. At the same time the question is never asked.

Then again none of these women like to be questioned.

It's like the whole cervical cancer thing in recent years. Men can get it, granted not often, yet it's reported as a women only issue. At one point someone was questioned about that and she said because it's rarer in men it's not really a problem

Do you mean the fact that men can get HPV and related head neck throat and oral cancers? Cos that's very true, but men can't get cervical cancer, having no cervices.. Just saying is all, no hate!

lucalux wrote: »
    Do you mean the fact that men can get HPV and related head neck throat and oral cancers? Cos that's very true, but men can't get cervical cancer, having no cervices.. Just saying is all, no hate!

Yes of course HPV. It would be quite interesting if a male was to get cervical cancer....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Yes of course HPV. It would be quite interesting if a male was to get cervical cancer....

Well.....given the way things are going with the T's it's not outlandish to suggest that somebody will insist a man could get cervical cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40231397.html

It doesn't get much more blatant than this...

A couple who carried out a targeted fraud campaign against banks and credit unions were jailed today.

Keith Flynn, 46, was sentenced to four years in prison backdated to October 27, 2020, when he went into custody.
    His wife and co-accused, Lyndsey Clarke, 37, was sentenced to two years in prison commencing today. Both are former solicitors.

Judge Seán Ó Donnabháin said that to explain the difference in how the parties were treated at sentencing it could be stated that it allowed for the differences in the personal circumstances of the two accused.
    What does that even mean - "differences in personal circumstances"? If Keith was any way smart he would have self ID'd as a women and shaved 2 years off his sentence.

• Advertisement

CageWager wrote: »

What does that even mean - "differences in personal circumstances"? If Keith was any way smart he would have self ID'd as a women and shaved 2 years off his sentence.
    I don't know any more about this case, but I remember a case in Ireland a number of years ago where a surgeon and a wife claimed she had had one or more operations she hadn't had or something like that (I can't remember the exact details of this stage).

Anyway, he was sentenced to 4 years in jail, but she got a suspended sentence because somebody had to look after the kids.
    A fairer sentence would be to divide up the time between the couple, but no, the man got all the time and the woman got no time.

When I was a teenager on nights out I'd always be grabbed down there by mature women.

Only a bit of craic if a woman does it, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭alexv

CageWager wrote: »

I think by "differences in personal circumstances" the judge meant that she had (slightly) bigger tits than her co-accused solicitor.

maybe
    Let's dial back the "tits" type talk. We can get our opinions across without that. Thanks.

Aer Lingus have a new female CEO. The first time they've had and that's fine. Yet on social media people, mostly women, were complaining she got the job after ''men destroyed the company'' Nothing to do with Covid no it's all down to men.

Now she could well be very good in the job only time will tell. But would you ever hear comments like that if a man took over from a women as CEO of a company that they could a run into the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Aer Lingus have a new female CEO. The first time they've had and that's fine. Yet on social media people, mostly women, were complaining she got the job after ''men destroyed the company'' Nothing to do with Covid no it's all down to men.

Now she could well be very good in the job only time will tell. But would you ever hear comments like that if a man took over from a women as CEO of a company that they could a run into the ground?

i agree. and when the lock down is over and we can freely travel again she will be praised for saving the company . she will then be trotted out as some kind of saviour and be used to show how women are better than men

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

I doubt you'd hear it from many people just like I'd doubt you'd find the media pushing the opposite in genders, a false narrative, (https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0244531) that female lead countries are faring better than male led ones in terms of covid.

Sarcozies wrote: »
    I doubt you'd hear it from many people just like I'd doubt you'd find the media pushing the opposite in genders, a false narrative, (https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0244531) that female lead countries are faring better than male led ones in terms of covid.
    There is a stray bracket; here's a working link:
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0244531

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

TBF I'd imagine you'd find exactly those comments on social media if you go looking, the trick is to not bother. If it's in the news that's a bit different but a few tweets from gobsh/tes isn't worth the time of day.

hots wrote: »
    TBF I'd imagine you'd find exactly those comments on social media if you go looking, the trick is to not bother. If it's in the news that's a bit different but a few tweets from gobsh/tes isn't worth the time of day.

Actually, I'd say there's little difference between the news and what you find online from twitter or such. If it matches a particular agenda that they support, you'll find a variety of broadcasters plugging the line, even if it hasn't been put on the news itself.

It's like the support that RTE have given to Ebun Joseph regarding racism, where she's been used as an expert, and has promoted all manner of racist related material... because it fits the agenda that RTE want to push about diversity. You'll likely find the same on similar shows where they present the views of feminists, and how men are working against them... because, again, it fits an agenda that RTE have been plugging for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Actually, I'd say there's little difference between the news and what you find online from twitter or such. If it matches a particular agenda that they support, you'll find a variety of broadcasters plugging the line, even if it hasn't been put on the news itself.

It's like the support that RTE have given to Ebun Joseph regarding racism, where she's been used as an expert, and has promoted all manner of racist related material... because it fits the agenda that RTE want to push about diversity. You'll likely find the same on similar shows where they present the views of feminists, and how men are working against them... because, again, it fits an agenda that RTE have been plugging for years now.

Yeah you could well be right tbf, I try not to watch too much of any of that nonsense either :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's the biggest tax payer funded knees up next week, International Women's Day...expect a bumper, the day where we have to treat grown women like they are children and tell them how great they are whilst they claim to be oppressed by those same tax payers!!!

Its international women's week at this stage.

Dont begrudge the poor oppressed creaturs a few days of relief from the brutal patriarchy they all live under.

Its international women's week at this stage.

Dont begrudge the poor oppressed creaturs a few days of relief from the brutal patriarchy they all live under.
    Yes, at our weekly meeting of the local patriarchy group (we share the venue with the local tooth fairies and Santa's elves) this was the message we heard had been passed down from head office. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

make it stoooooppppp!!!!! , the "facts" are so convenient lol

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1368891521936850949

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Apologies if this was ever posted before. It showed up on my Facebook feed today.

More women leaders would have made world more peaceful: Dalai Lama
    https://indianexpress.com/article/world/dalai-lama-world-leaders-6498090/

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

iptba wrote: »
    Apologies if this was ever posted before. It showed up on my Facebook feed today.

More women leaders would have made world more peaceful: Dalai Lama
    https://indianexpress.com/article/world/dalai-lama-world-leaders-6498090/

Why does Margaret Thatcher come to mind?

The usual types having a field day today and a always it goes unchallenged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

The usual types having a field day today and a always it goes unchallenged.

Even if you make a reasonable point or counter point today it's going to be shot down and you will be labelled.

I think that's why alot of people don't bother and corporations have jumped on board too. I never got as many notifications via email from companies with offers or reductions for IWD

Advertisement