Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does ACA stand for?

Options
  • 19-01-2021 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭

1st time looking for a job since qualifying so never had to worry about that :pac:

anyone know what it stands for so I can put it on my CV?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

1st time looking for a job since qualifying so never had to worry about that :pac:

TIA

Not a whole lot you'll realise soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

All Coppers Are...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bliger

Association of Consulting Actuaries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

This is why CIMA is better, you get 8 letters after your name to have no idea what they stand for

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mackcracknsack

Association of Chartered Accountants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

TIA

When you are an ACA you are an Associated Chartered Accountant and a member of Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
    When you have done the needed years you become an FCA a Fellow Chartered Accountant I don't remember right now if it is 10 or 15 years being a member of Chartered Accountants that you need to become one
    CA mean that you are a Chartered Accountant

Using the abbreviations indicates in a subtle way your level of experience basically for the ones that know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

tanit wrote: »
    When you are an ACA you are an Associated Chartered Accountant and a member of Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
    When you have done the needed years you become an FCA a Fellow Chartered Accountant I don't remember right now if it is 10 or 15 years being a member of Chartered Accountants that you need to become one
    CA mean that you are a Chartered Accountant

Using the abbreviations indicates in a subtle way your level of experience basically for the ones that know

It's 10 years for FCA, but afraik CA is unrelated to CAI.

Similarly ACCA becomes FCCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

ACA: A Chartered Accountant

ACCA: A Crap Chartered Accountant

CPA: Car Park Attendant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

davindub wrote: »
    It's 10 years for FCA, but afraik CA is unrelated to CAI.

Similarly ACCA becomes FCCA.

CAI are the awarding body for ACA membership/designation in Ireland.

ari101 wrote: »

They don't like being called CAI anymore. It is the ICAI now.

To the OP, the key difference is that you will typically find a better quality of Accountant if they are Chartered. Nevertheless, ACCA is a very decent qualification, as is CIMA.

I wouldn't go next to near CPA. Not with a forty foot barge pole. You may aswell get your qualification from the University of Wikipedia. It will be just as good. I know a former president of them, one of their best, and I don't rate him at all at all. Shockingly bad.

It all depends what you are trying to achieve. If you can post up here then people may advise. ACA may be the best fit, CIMA may, who knows. Let us know your goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

myshirt wrote: »
    They don't like being called CAI anymore. It is the ICAI now.

Well they spent a lot of money changing from ICAI to CAI a decade ago if they are going to decide the 'Institute' should come back ;-p

Well they spent a lot of money changing from ICAI to CAI a decade ago if they are going to decide the 'Institute' should come back ;-p

You're right. Ignore my post. Long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Yes as posted ACA and FCA are CAI (or ICAI previously).

But CA isn't.

ACCA and FCCA are ACCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

hilarious

To call CPA car park attendants is offensive to be honest. Its the person and not the qualification that is important in my opinion and idiotic remarks like yours do no one any favours.
    I qualified as ACCA and moved from ACCA to CPA many years ago and I dont regret it one bit.
    To dismiss an entire body of Accountants in the way that some people have commented above and say you would not go within 40 foot of them says more about the type of person that some bodies attract than anything else.
    I have worked in Chartered, and ACCA firms for the majority of my working like and trust me they are nothing special. I once worked with a Chartered Accountant who stole money from elderly clients and got jail time for it. He didnt pay his annual subscription to his body in the year it was discovered and his institute washed their hands of it as he was no longer a member. Shocking in my opinion.
    Look at a lot of the scandals with poor audits and tell me what firms were the auditors? Anglo Irish and F.A.I. both come to mind immediately, both audited by firms of Chartered Accountants and both ended up costing the country millions
    ACA: A Chartered Accountant

ACCA: A Crap Chartered Accountant

CPA: Car Park Attendant

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yes as posted ACA and FCA are CAI (or ICAI previously).

And E&W.
    But CA isn't.

It's Scottish I believe

I wouldn't go next to near CPA. Not with a forty foot barge pole. You may aswell get your qualification from the University of Wikipedia.

There is nothing wrong with the qualification per se, it is just that it is now widely known and as such can be problematic in a job search, as you are always going to be explaining that it is the same as.....

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Jim2007 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the qualification per se, it is just that it is now widely known and as such can be problematic in a job search, as you are always going to be explaining that it is the same as.....

CPA holds a lot of weight where I'm from. 150 credit hours minimum (Macc) 5 years of college and many state exams. Was thinking about moving home to Ireland and figured it would be hard to convert my though.

CPA holds a lot of weight where I'm from. 150 credit hours minimum (Macc) 5 years of college and many state exams. Was thinking about moving home to Ireland and figured it would be hard to convert my though.

In other anglosaxon countries Chartered are unheard of: Canada, America and Australia. The main bodies are CPA and Chartered have agreements on those countries GAA - Global Accounting Alliance so if you try to convert your license for those countries you would be a CPA there not Chartered.

Regardless, being one body or another does not make you a better person or a better accountant. Hard work and good ethics is what it makes the difference, I have personally dealt with ar******* from all bodies and can attest you can find them everywhere.

It does make a difference finding a job being Chartered and being Big 4 trained or at least Big 10. Being CPA in Ireland unfortunately it can make things more difficult due to the brand of being Chartered better considered in Ireland and the UK for historical reasons. Those reasons apply for instance in America and Australia the other way around being CPA is the brand of value there and not Chartered

CPA in Ireland and CPA in USA are absolutely unrelated.
    https://nasba.org/international/mra/
    Edit: Chartered Accountants is very much an Anglo Saxon thing. The charter is/was derived from whatever King or Queen granted it.
    Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand has 128k members.
    CPA in Canada stands for Chartered Professional Accountant 217k members.

If you go back to what this thread title was it was along the lines of what does ACA stand for. After reading some of the posts here i think it stands for taking the piss out of other professional bodies.

• Advertisement

duffysfarm wrote: »
    If you go back to what this thread title was it was along the lines of what does ACA stand for. After reading some of the posts here i think it stands for taking the piss out of other professional bodies.

And your contribution is just to add more noise...

I wouldn't agree with that.
    In my post I made the point that it " Its the person and not the qualification that is important in my opinion". I would consider this a fair and balanced opinion and I was trying to bring some balance to this thread rather than labelling people and professional bodies.
    When some one else took the piss of the qualification that I hold I then highlighted that some of the professional bodies that some people hold in such high regard have their own skeletons in their closets.

I didn't come on here to offend anyone but I didn't come here to be offended.

Finally I would have expected the Mods not to allow slurs on other profession be openly posted on this forum by allowing members of other professions to be labelled as crap and car park attendants without anything to back up these allegations.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And your contribution is just to add more noise...

duffysfarm wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with that.
    In my post I made the point that it " Its the person and not the qualification that is important in my opinion". I would consider this a fair and balanced opinion and I was trying to bring some balance to this thread rather than labelling people and professional bodies.
    When some one else took the piss of the qualification that I hold I then highlighted that some of the professional bodies that some people hold in such high regard have their own skeletons in their closets.

I didn't come on here to offend anyone but I didn't come here to be offended.

Finally I would have expected the Mods not to allow slurs on other profession be openly posted on this forum by allowing members of other professions to be labelled as crap and car park attendants without anything to back up these allegations.

To be honest I agree with the whole bashing of certain bodies for the sake of it, I think it is unacceptable. I am Chartered Accountant and I don't think being from a certain body makes you any better person or accountant, the work you perform and how you conduct yourself is what truly makes you a better accountant and person. Those types of jokes only show the type of person and accountant you are (not a very good one)

I think the conversation about the differences between the bodies between different countries is an interesting one and mostly definitely the original question for a newly qualified accountant but the rest is pretty pointless.

Advertisement