Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My '72 Challenger project

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Ok… so I’ve been doing lots of small detail work, but I figure that you’re not interested in 50 pics of the arse end of a car that you can’t really see any difference in, but let me know if I’m wrong here… but the rear panel is in primer now

IMG_8485_zps0o5gvq9y.jpg

IMG_8488_zpso7a11csj.jpg

I will no focus on the rear panel below the rear window & the top corners of the boot channels

IMG_8490_zpsw6jgx6tv.jpg

To do this I need the boot on too to work out the gaps & clearances

IMG_8491_zpsbkkmhcxo.jpg

IMG_8493_zpssfirw7ub.jpg

Time to fill that rust section I cut out

IMG_8496_zpsuk0q18tt.jpg

IMG_8497_zpseaqx4aar.jpg

IMG_8499_zpspkdcrtjr.jpg

IMG_8501_zpsjdwtezrl.jpg

IMG_8503_zpsi6l8tdcm.jpg

So now she’s looking more car shaped again & I love seeing the primer go on as it helps me how much of the car is actually done… or close too…. I may redo bits… probably will actually….

IMG_8504_zps0id2sgfj.jpg

Got around to tidying up the boot channel corners, these are odd on this car as normally when you see a repair section for this part of a car it’s a single pressing that had the curve nicely in it & the weld joins are on the straight sections of panel, that’s how they are on others I’ve used seen anyway.

These join right in the corner so they are really hard to get into with a welder tip & then again afterwards to clean up & flatten out the welds… I spoke to some folks on some Dodge forums & it seems that this area gets covered in seam sealer & then you smooth that out.. so I’ve gotten the corners as good as I can & seam sealer will finish the job to a smooth finish when I get around to that bit.

IMG_8507_zps7vuoswyc.jpg

IMG_8508_zpsmdlw3qjj.jpg

IMG_8509_zpsaflziziw.jpg

IMG_8513_zpsoypqvddf.jpg

IMG_8514_zpsxamegrkp.jpg

IMG_8515_zpsvydbt3dl.jpg

The last big dirty job to be done on this car is to take the roof back to bare metal, it’s winter here now but the weather gods smiled a bit this weekend & it was about 17deg & no rain… so I quickly pushed the car out of the shed so that all the dust & crap created from taking the roof back to bare metal would not end up covering everything in the shed.

IMG_8516_zpsac9jlhcz.jpg

IMG_8517_zps4eejy6si.jpg

The roof looks perfect apart from the fact it was covered in glue to apply the vinyl top a few years back, but as we know whilst you can’t polish a turd you sure as **** can paint one.. so we’ll see what horrors await me now

IMG_8518_zpsjatxgh2d.jpg

I really took my time with this to be sure that I didn’t do too much too fast & put any real heat into the panel as roofs are real easy to warp

IMG_8519_zpsnne1nyd4.jpg

IMG_8520_zpsgncmtyqa.jpg

IMG_8527_zpsax92r2zv.jpg

The top of the A pillars where they join to the roof panel are normally lead joined, this was long gone & now was just filled with bog.. so I’ll lead fill these again

IMG_8524_zps1m7wmb0c.jpg

IMG_8523_zpsu00z2zqk.jpg

There is a small bit of rust at the top of the rear window, you can also see yet another hidden body number that Dodge had been hiding all over the cars back then

IMG_8522_zpsaqs2aymb.jpg

The top of the A pillar on the passenger side also was lacking lead but then had a big hole in the roof that was just filled with bog, so I’ve cleaned the bog out & I’ll have to make up a patch to cover this

IMG_8525_zpsl3zuzvkg.jpg

Before the car was painted by who ever did it last time the prep wasn’t right & the bog hadn’t bonded to the metal, this has left some rust pitting that I’ll have to sort out… the bits of bog here would flake off if I blew compressed air at it

IMG_8528_zpss8dgs1gp.jpg

This is how it sits now, I’ll clean up the pitting & repair the rust during the week

IMG_8532_zpsopoobiqi.jpg

IMG_8531_zpsczanopwa.jpg

IMG_8535_zpsnipco429.jpg

Been doing some work on the roof, there is a decent dent at the front so that needs to be pulled out rather than just bogged over as it was before

IMG_8529_zpsgyklntkg.jpg

Simple fix, used my stud gun to weld a stud into the center of the dent & then used the puller to pop it out

IMG_8554_zpsbaatffbe.jpg

IMG_8555_zpsilvdm4ps.jpg

Whilst I had the stud gun out I sorted the pin dent in the driver’s side door too

IMG_8556_zpsd3d9k2bl.jpg

IMG_8557_zpsl9pruruq.jpg

IMG_8558_zps4klbu5oo.jpg

Another thing that I need to sort out is the trim buttons that are on the sides of the front & rear window frames, they have clips that attach to them that then attach the chrome trim to them

IMG_8548_zpshgsi0rbk.jpg

A few of these are missing front & rear & they had used screws to hold the clips on, but I’d like to replace them properly, so I plan to weld up the screw holes

IMG_8549_zpsebp0gcuz.jpg

Then I’ll use the stud gun to weld on some new ones, stud gun kits tend to come with a box of these as standard

IMG_8550_zps72feghaj.jpg

The only issue I have is that I’ve borrowed this stud gun kit so I don’t know if its missing a 2nd screw in tip that is supposed to be used as there is no way they will fit in the hole of the standard stud nozzle

IMG_8552_zpsofdtnxqe.jpg

Maybe I can try just pressing the tip of this nozzle against the new trim button & see if the current flow thru & welds it to the car? Or I could ask Dr Google I guess

I’ll need to make up a rust repair patch to fit to the rusted front section but I need to get myself a metal shrinker/stretcher to make the curved shape properly & my local bodywork supply shop is out of stock of them for a few weeks they say, so I’ve just rust treated all the pitted area & then primed the roof so that it’s protected & I’ll sand it back to do the repair once I have the shrinker to make the patch I need

IMG_8547_zpse8am8o9y.jpg

IMG_8561_zpscby6ivvo.jpg

IMG_8559_zpsl0xrnjsq.jpg

IMG_8562_zpsabdkew1b.jpg

There was some small rust holes here at the back of the roof, so I’ve welded them up now

IMG_8563_zpsweluqx5v.jpg

IMG_8565_zpsgyfdmhoa.jpg

I’ve also taken the rear parcel shelf back to bare metal to ensure that it was all fine… which it was & have primed that & the inside lip of the rear window too

IMG_8564_zpsd2n6mdal.jpg

IMG_8566_zpsibumlin0.jpg

IMG_8567_zpsbhgwbf8g.jpg

Next I’ll start working on alignment of the front panels whilst I wait to get the tooling to fix the roof section…. Stay tuned

• Advertisement

Ok… so I was having some Photobucket account issues… that’s sorted now, so here is the last bit from the post above with pics…..

There was some small rust holes here at the back of the roof, so I’ve welded them up now

IMG_8563_zpsm0xto6lp.jpg

IMG_8565_zpsgyfdmhoa.jpg

I’ve also taken the rear parcel shelf back to bare metal to ensure that it was all fine… which it was & have primed that & the inside lip of the rear window too

IMG_8564_zpsd2n6mdal.jpg

IMG_8566_zpsibumlin0.jpg

IMG_8567_zps3qw5y0d6.jpg

Next I’ve start working on alignment of the front panels whilst I wait to get the tools to fix the roof section to turn up…. Stay tuned

I finished cleaning up the inside of the rear taillight panel & painting that up

IMG_8571.JPG

Now it’s time spend an ungodly amount of time messing with the front hanging panels & their gaps.. I’ve put the car up on some stands to make it a little easier for me to play with

IMG_8842.jpg

IMG_8841.jpg

IMG_8839.jpg

With the panels off I’m tidying up some small areas, like this one where the inner guard meets the core support panel.. straightened it up a little, did a little more welding & then primed it

IMG_8574.JPG

IMG_8572.JPG

Also did the areas at the base of the A pillars where the firewall & cowl panels end

IMG_8575.JPG

IMG_8573.JPG

Then I threw on all the panels including the front light panel & the lower valance, the plan now is to slowly work my way around the car moving or modifying each bit as I need to whilst constantly checking to see what knock on effect every little tap I make has on the other connected panels

IMG_8577.JPG

IMG_8576.JPG

As expected this is going to be a nightmare… here is the story of the passenger side door & front guard as a teaser.. the body lines are miles off

IMG_8580.JPG

So I fixed that

IMG_8584.JPG

IMG_8578.JPG

Get a nice gap at the top of the guard & door too

IMG_8583.JPG

IMG_8579.JPG

Then this is as far as the door will open now without grabbing on the guard.. if I drop the guard so that the body lines don’t meet up then the gaps are great & the door opens fine but if I line up the body lines & set a gap that allows the door to fully open it’s a mile away & looks crap… some reshaping will be needed methinks

IMG_8581.JPG

Also when I line up the bonnet with both guards at the front the gap I’m left with on the drivers side is massive

IMG_8582.JPG

Don’t even get me started on how the bottom of the guards meets up with the sill panels

IMG_8586.JPG

IMG_8585.JPG

The passenger side of the front valance is fine

IMG_8587.JPG

But the drivers side needs work as it wants to bolt up way too high

IMG_8587.JPG

I took last weekend off as it was bloody cold in the shed & there was live V8 Supercars racing on.. so this is as far as I’ve gotten so far… but my plan is to get back out this weekend.

Also MrsXB got me a cool shrinker stretcher tool for my B’day so now I should be able to make up the repair patch for the roof section much easier (famous last words)

IMG_8880.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8879.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8878.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Mrs XB is cool!

• Advertisement

Mrs XB is cool!

Yes, yes she is... always willing to get out into the shed & get her hands dirty working on the cars if I need a 2nd set of hands... supports me buying part's, tools & more cars when I need/want, loves coming to car shows with me etc... I am very lucky

Just another front end panel update on this old ****ter… I’ve been trying not to take too many pics as lets face it the process is to:

Assemble car
    Measure a gap
    Disassemble car gain
    Then add/remove 1mm of metal at a time to sections
    Reassemble car
    Remeasure gap
    Repeat the above steps

I figure hundreds of pics of each step would drive folks mad… so here are some pics of what I guess I could consider major milestones of the passenger side panel gap saga

The front light bar doesn’t line up correctly, the eyebrow is way too far to the right of the top of the guard

IMG_8598.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This is because the holes in the guard that the pins on the lightbar don’t line up right

IMG_8602.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Do I’ve slotted this hole to allow for more adjustment

IMG_8603.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now that that’s done I’m happy with how the front looks & the bumper seems to be able to be pulled in fine too with the standard slot adjustment on the brackets so that’s good news, one less thin to have to fettle

IMG_8610.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8609.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8608.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8605.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8604.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The shut line between the top of the guard & the edge of the bonnet is pretty good on this passenger side

IMG_8612.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8611.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The same cannot be said of the drivers side… but I’m ignoring that for now as I’m only working on the passenger side

IMG_8617.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8616.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8615.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8614.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8613.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I don’t know is the pics do it justice here but the top edge of the drivers guard has a bow in it.. that’ll be fun when I get around to that side I’m sure

IMG_8619.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8618.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I wanted to try & move the doors back as far as I possibly could but the strikers where hitting the door frame, but they have some spacers on them so out they came, thanks to lots of WD-40 & heat as these buggers didn’t want to budge came very close to welding nuts onto the ends of them… but they are out now

IMG_8625.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8623.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

These doors are bloody big & bloody heavy so ended up using my engine hoist to help take the weight so I could loosen off the hinge bolts & persuade the doors rear wood

IMG_8624.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8622.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Look at that for a door to rear Qtr panel gap…. I’m soooooooooo ****ing happy with how that looks

IMG_8626.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then it was lots of measure & mark etc…

IMG_8627.JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds

The final decision was that I simply needed longer doors, I can’t bring the front guard any closer to the door or the door fouls on the guard when I go to open it… so the only solution now is to make the door longer in sections to close up the gap between the door & the guard… so out with the welder & slowly put lots of tacks on the front edge of the door… very slowly to keep heat out of the panel

IMG_8628.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8629.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then to linish this back to be the same shape & profile as the door & just like magic your door is now 1mm longer in the sections you need it to be… then rinse & repeat & if you add too much it’s easy to take it off again

IMG_8630.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8631.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now the gaps are starting to look ok

IMG_8632.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’m sure someone who knew what they where doing would be swearing at the screen about now but I’m getting close to as good as I can make this with my limited skills in my shed… there are still a few tiny spots that are just short but that’s just case of adding a tack to each one.. I threw some black paint on as I think that the bare metal makes it look a little worse that it is… it’s looking pretty close in black… I’m starting to think I might be able to do this panel gap ****e after all

IMG_8641.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8640.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8639.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8638.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8637.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8635.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now on a completely non panel gap front, I’ve managed to finally track down a part that’s been missing of this car since I bought her… that’s the rear demister set up, it’s a little quirky but I love the idea… it’s a blower motor & a directional nozzle, it’s missing the connecting hose but that’s easy fixed

IMG_8594.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8593.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8592.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It bolts under the rear parcel tray & blows hot air up the rear window, it takes up a speaker hole as you can see by default

IMG_8597.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8596.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8595.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But I’ve also found & ordered the “optional” blower relocation box that will allow me to have twin speakers in the rear & still have the rear demister

Rear_Defoger_with_speaker.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

6497494_1970cudapowerwiring1.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

72_C_body_with_resistor.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Sadly the next update will be pack to panel gaps I suspect… but at least they’ll be on the drivers side to offer a change I guess…

Daved_XB wrote: »

The final decision was that I simply needed longer doors, I can’t bring the front guard any closer to the door or the door fouls on the guard when I go to open it… so the only solution now is to make the door longer in sections to close up the gap between the door & the guard… so out with the welder & slowly put lots of tacks on the front edge of the door… very slowly to keep heat out of the panel

IMG_8628.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8629.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then to linish this back to be the same shape & profile as the door & just like magic your door is now 1mm longer in the sections you need it to be… then rinse & repeat & if you add too much it’s easy to take it off again[/URL]

Sorry, I'm only seeing this now after you've all the work done :o, could you weld a filler rod to the edge so you have less welding to do and less heat going into the door

Sorry, I'm only seeing this now after you've all the work done :o, could you weld a filler rod to the edge so you have less welding to do and less heat going into the door

I bought some filler rods to try that ages ago... but my MiG just blew them apart, if I had a TiG it would have been the way I would have gone.. but this has worked fine.

Got most of the work done on the drivers side over the weekend, it needed just as much work but didn’t take as a long as I’ve kinda got this done now..

IMG_8644.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8645.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8650.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8649.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

She’s coming together & is starting to look like a car again…

IMG_8652.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8651.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

There are some fiddly bits to be done now like some brackets that hold the tops of the front guards up don’t quiet fit now so need to be modified & then I need to clean up these upper rear side window guide pieces…. Sadly my mate was the one who removed these & I wasn’t standing there to get pics so I’m not 100% sure how they go back on… but I’ll figure it out I guess

IMG_8646.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8647.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Right a bit more happened this Sat here in the shed, the top edge of the drivers side door doesn’t line up with the top edge of the front guard but the curve of the guard lines up perfectly with the bonnet so it’s the door that wrong… this is a good thing as this is easier to fix that reshaping the top of the guard would be

IMG_8656.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8655.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Taking lots of time & being as gentle as I could be with my precision knockometer I’ve worked the curve on the door to be a much closer match with the guard now

IMG_8659.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Next up there are these brackets that support the top of the guards

IMG_8654.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The guards have a captive nut that lines up with the bracket… or at least the drivers side does, there is enough adjustable movement on the drivers side for this to line up but there is no way the passenger side will as the captive nut is welded about 5mm to far forward & there is no easy way to get to the nut to move it

IMG_8653.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8660.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So I cut the bracket in half & bolted each half to their respective homes

IMG_8662.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8661.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This way I could line up the two halves of the bracket & make them… then I tacked it together to be sure to be sure before the final welding…

IMG_8663.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8664.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Advertisement

Then I put everything back together again & I think she’s really starting to look bloody good, she’ll need a skim of filler in some places but I’ve stuck to my self-imposed limit that I don’t want any more that a 1mm of filler under the paint if possible & that has made this take a LOT longer than it could have but I hope its all worth it when she finally has a shiny coat of Black paint on

IMG_8670.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8669.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8668.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8667.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8666.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8665.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

There is more to be done of course & I want to remove all the suspension & do the underside of the car fully but that would mean putting her on a rotisserie & I already have a crappy old Muscle car on my rotisserie… so I have two options:

1. Pull the XB off the rotisserie & put the Challenger on to finish it but then have to put the XB back on to finish it afterwards.
    2. Finish the floor of the XB now & paint it so that it can come off the rotisserie & never have to go back on & then put the Challenger on the rotisserie.

Right now I’m leaning towards the latter, I know it means a few weeks of nothing getting done to the Challenger but I think all up it makes the most sense… well at least it does to me… so for now I’m putting the Challenger in a corner to rest a while & you’ll start seeing updates to the XB build thread now for a bit.

IMG_8672.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Unreal, un-fcukin-real work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Yeap. Still the best thread on boards.

Steady on..... but thanks

Unreal, un-fcukin-real work

And this is his hobby job - imagine what he's like at work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Yeap. Still the best thread on boards.

Absolutely.
    The car that is being worked on and
    The level of the work being done to it

Ok… I’ve been a bit slack with getting stuff done in the shed of late… time to pull the finger out & get back into it, the plan is that when the XB comes back from my painters the tow truck will take the Challenger back as the return trip. That means that I have to get this car finished before then, so I’m going to put her on the rotisserie now so that I can do the underside properly.

To that end, I’ve pulled her out of the corner & put her pride of place in the middle of the shed… ignore my mates Holden Ute in the corner now I’ll be doing all the body work on that for him soon… are people interested in seeing a thread on that even though it’s not my car I’m working on?

IMG_9621.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9620.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

First step (after jack up your car obviously) is to pull all the hanging panels off again…

IMG_9628.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9627.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Next steps will be to drop the front K Frame & the diff out of the rear & then make up the brackets to mount her on the rotisserie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ignore my mates Holden Ute in the corner now I’ll be doing all the body work on that for him soon… are people interested in seeing a thread on that even though it’s not my car I’m working on?
    No. Said nobody. Anywhere. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

… ignore my mates Holden Ute in the corner now I’ll be doing all the body work on that for him soon… are people interested in seeing a thread on that even though it’s not my car I’m working on?

Ute Please :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh yes Ute thread p[lease, absolute pleasure watching your ongoing work

Advertisement