Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards in 1945

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

We fought for five years and now we’ve to give up our colonies? Where will we get good staff from now? Domestics will be looking for higher wages.

Any spare jobs as a truck driver on the Autobahn? Would Odessa hire me?

I knew we were ****ed when the Luftwaffe started to use it as runway.

Don't anyone worry about sickness or cold / flu.

ANTIBIOTICS

They're the cool thing now. Apparently what some unemployed rocket scientists have gotten into!

Reliable Sources say that the fella who made the A4 / V2 will have humankind landing on Planet Mars soon enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Some little 11yo rapscallion really getting on my nerves for saying Roll It There Colette all the time. Get a job like the rest of us you loser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

We fought for five years and now we’ve to give up our colonies? Where will we get good staff from now? Domestics will be looking for higher wages.
    I'm sure that's what most of those who did the fighting will be thinking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We'll have bananas any day now. Some school kids have never seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

We'll have bananas any day now. Some school kids have never seen one.
    Ah, I love the taste of a Gros Michel banana. Long may they thrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Someone got 90 pounds for a terrace in Rathmines! That's 10 pounds over the asking price!

Our chisselers will never be able to afford to live around here with 17 chisselers of their own, on a messenger boy's salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The next one will be totally atomic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

where am i going to send all these rabbits i shot . it's all well and good the emergency is over but i could be stuck with them and at a thrupence each i could use the money

I'm glad that the war is over, in a way. But God help us we'll never hear the end of it now the Brits have won. There'll be books and films and God knows what into perpetuity and poor aul Paddy laughing at the lot of them knowing that there isn't a 'Great Power' on the face of the earth brave enough to take on the Republic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh wow, we finally get a chance to vote for a presidential.
    Seán Mac Eoin's going to walk it,

They are nationalising the buses and trains under CIÉ :eek:

Cycling Is Easier

where am i going to send all these rabbits i shot . it's all well and good the emergency is over but i could be stuck with them and at a thrupence each i could use the money

Don't forget to advertise whether it's true or not the rabbits have no myxomatosis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

xieann wrote: »
    Don't forget to advertise whether it's true or not the rabbits have no myxomatosis
    im not that stupid , I don't shoot the one's with the mixo, can't afford to waste ammo . i just walk up to them and clatter em with a stick shur i wont be eating them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'm sure that those boards progressives are right and the Soviet armies return to their country and respect the boundaries of Eastern Europe.

Hello, yes, yes, und welcome to meine fellow patiotic island monkeys. Meine name is Columcille Swift Murphy unt I am eine real Irish man zat is returning from ze America, unt I am looking for a woom to went in ze wemote rural area IMMEDIATELY. Vill take unseen. Vill pay 10 year on ze advance for ze rent. Up ze Republic!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Do we all agree that Germany and Korea will be reunited countries by 1950? I can't see this new spirit of international cooperation endind!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Kind of crazy to imagine the extent of primary sources which will be available to future historians. Not just a diary here and there but in depth real time discussion of every major event at their fingertips. Imagine reading a thread about d day etc written by people back then, would be fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭badabing106

The biggest crime against humanity happened this year. THe U.S.A dropped two highly destructive Atomic bombs, killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people in seconds.This Nation will never be forgiven for this abomination

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have no doubt that there would be a significant debate on the merits of the firebombing of cities and dropping of the A-bombs, combined with conspiracy theories as to how the German treatment of Jews and other conquered peoples was a frame-up, and how we have no -real- proof that the Japanese massacred Chinese or Korean citizens.

There might also be some discussion on how Ireland can get in on this free money thing that that American bloke, Marshall, is talking about giving to Europeans, and is Ireland missing out because it didn’t ally with them?

Also, does Ireland really need to keep the six PT boats and half-dozen fighters now that the war is over, and neutrality worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

The biggest crime against humanity happened this year. THe U.S.A dropped two highly destructive Atomic bombs, killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people in seconds.This Nation will never be forgiven for this abomination
    The war was the crime. It pulls apart the strands of civilised behaviour, and can have a momentum of it's own. Wars usually increase in ruthlessness over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Omackeral wrote: »
    Hitler is alright, he’s the fella who killed Hitler.

He isn't dead. I hear that he moved to a place in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

That's the last time I'm going to Nagasaki.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

Europe facing a housing crisis due to record shortage of supply coupled with a lack of construction.

wassie wrote: »
    Europe facing a housing crisis due to record shortage of supply coupled with a lack of construction.

Plenty of jobs for us lads! Hitler, a great man for the Irish navvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This internet thing might take off, Ireland should invest in one of these computation engines.

kowloon wrote: »
    This internet thing might take off, Ireland should invest in one of these computation engines.

Fishing will do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think that next year will see an interesting development in swimwear

Advertisement