Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Words no longer used.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Courting (dating)

wooing as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

VHS
    VCR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭threetrees

The Pictures (the cinema)
    P&T (pre An Post/eir/eircom/telecom eireann)
    Callcards
    Gur cake

Dial up (internet)
    Inter cert

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Blackguard.
    Bleedin Rapid.
    Frig off and flip off.
    The craic was 90.
    Guttys and rubber dollys - runners.
    Gravy ring - donut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Analog

• Advertisement

Think it came from a folk song circa 40s,50s........"Molly bawn" is simply someone( male or female) giving you the run around, as in messing you about........ say you were on phone to customer services & getting passed around without any progress/ success.....you'd say " they're playing Molly bawn with me"

That's a new one on me, never heard of that.

Where I'm from, Bawn is an alias for people who must once have lived in a Bawn (forecourt of a tower house). So our neighbours are Hogans, for example, but to differentiate them from other locals with that surname, you'd say 'they're Bawn Hogans', because they live on an old bawn.

So for argument's sake, let's say Bawn refers to someone who lives next to a big house.

Moll, or Molly, is a slang term for a prostitute. 'Molly House' refers to a brothel; 'Molly' usually has sexual connotations.

I wonder if a "Molly Bawn" might be a prostitute who lived beside a tower/ big house?

Just a guess, I might be making wild leaps and assumptions, but maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

56k modem, bulletin boards, the flicks, old word for films.
    Dial up Internet, showband,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Fraudband for 3G - how quickly we forget.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Molly Bawn song is a tragedy where she is mistaken for a swan and shot by her boyfriend.

Come all you young fowlers, who carry the gun, beware of going shooting by the late setting sun. It might happen to anyone as it happened to me, to shoot your own true love in under a tree.

Smegma use to know someone that used it all the time for any sort of dirt they didn't like the look of not heard the word in years.
    Always find it funny when people spend thousands of euro to put a fridge called SMEG in their kitchen. How can you not think of smegma? Disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Smeg came up in a crossword I was doing recently, in connection to Red Dwarf. I knew the kitchen appliance name, but never heard of it as a swear word.

Smeg is a vulgarism or expletive used throughout the series of Red Dwarf. Although no specific meaning is ever given, it and its derivatives are regularly used as a derogatory term. On 14 February 2015 at the MCM Midlands Comic Con, Robert Llewellyn explicitly attested that smeg is a shortened version of smegma.

The term "Smeghead" is used very commonly throughout as an insult towards characters in the show.

Smeg came up in a crossword I was doing recently, in connection to Red Dwarf. I knew the kitchen appliance name, but never heard of it as a swear word.

Smeg is a vulgarism or expletive used throughout the series of Red Dwarf. Although no specific meaning is ever given, it and its derivatives are regularly used as a derogatory term. On 14 February 2015 at the MCM Midlands Comic Con, Robert Llewellyn explicitly attested that smeg is a shortened version of smegma.

The term "Smeghead" is used very commonly throughout as an insult towards characters in the show.
    Anyone here who ever rode horses as a child would know the word 'smeg'/ 'smegma' pretty well.

Geldings must have their willies washed pretty rigorously, it's fairly sick. You have to get your arm up there, as far as the elbow, washing all the cheese off. And it stinks. I gagged twice just posting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

cornerboys
    Slaphead
    Loathsome ****ehawke
    the dogs bollix
    Face on that like a head o cabbage

• Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Anyone here who ever rode horses as a child would know the word 'smeg'/ 'smegma' pretty well.

Geldings must have their willies washed pretty rigorously, it's fairly sick. You have to get your arm up there, as far as the elbow, washing all the cheese off. And it stinks. I gagged twice just posting this.

I'm going to regret this, but get your arm up where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Smeghead will be commonly used by a large part of the human race three million years into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,736 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Baluba.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Guttersnipe

Sketch!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

fornent

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Triboro wrote: »
    fornent

Forninced
    Meaning in front of or beside? That's one that's rarely used where I'm from. Local explanation is that it's an Elisabethan word that comes from the plantation of my county.

• Advertisement

Fecund - as in you fecund eejit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Fenian
    Gobsheen
    Quare hawk

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Blue rinse :cool:

Remember when auld ones used to go about with lovely permed or set hair in a dashing shade of blue or purple, hah.

loads of older women going round with Pink and Lilac hair nowadays.

I'm really looking forward to the day when I can have a blue rinse

Poltroon

Means coward

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I'm going to regret this, but get your arm up where exactly?

Under the hood? Must be able to bags of 5c coin in there.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

riclad wrote: »
    Every article i read about music,,eg its pop singers stans like her new music,
    eg it seems to be illegal to use the word fan.
    As in i,m a fan of taylor swift.
    stan brings to mind some enimem type weirdo whos obessed with a singer.
    its like 1984 ,the word no longer exists.
    betamax. vhs. 8 track.
    video nasty, from the 80s.
    Yeah that's exactly what a Stan, it's usually meant in a derogatory way towards fans

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Blue movie
    Jazz film. :D
    Mimon wrote: »
    Yeh, when did this change and why? Suddenly had this new BCE sh!te forced on us :mad: Don't even know the new AD term.
    Do not get me started. Common era and Before Common Era, neither make any sense. They've actually been around as terms for a while, used by a minority of atheistic and Jewish scholars, but the latter shift came from those bastions of robust thought US academia because it's supposed to be culturally sensitive to non Christians or something daft like that. The Muslim calendar uses its year zero as the year Muhammed brought the faithful to Medina and established the first permanent Muslim community. And fair enough. If I were living in a country or dealing with someone using that calendar I wouldn't be insisting they faff about with daft euphemisms for the exact same damned thing because I might be "sensitive" to it. :rolleyes:

I will still use poxbottle on the fairly regular. EG; anyone using BCE/CE is an utter poxbottle.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Wibbs wrote: »
    Common era and Before Common Era, neither make any sense.

Yeah, but BC and AD don't make any sense either, since (as I know you know), neither count time from the year Jesus was born.

Either way, it's just a convention. And conventions don't necessarily make any sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah, but BC and AD don't make any sense either, since (as I know you know), neither count time from the year Jesus was born.
    Actually nobody knows his birth year. Some put it between 4 and 8 AD IIRC. Year One was decided on again IIRC in the 5th century as the date they believed he was born.
    Either way, it's just a convention. And conventions don't necessarily make any sense.
    Indeed, but it makes little sense to change them for some nebulous cultural sensitivity notion either. I wouldn't want the Chinese, or Jewish, or Islamic calendar conventions changed either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭mehico

Sometimes you see the word "ilk" used on Boards but I don't think I have ever heard anyone use it in a conversation in person.

Advertisement