Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Pauldry you have me in stitches with that post!

Now don't linch me but it actually had been summer in Dublin since 31st May.

We have hit 20 degrees every day bar 1, no rain recorded at Dublin Airport in June and I've been in summer clothes everyday and never cold, that's a record!

Yesterday was very windy no doubt but still over 20 degrees.

I'll take this summer in Dublin as the song goes!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This week has been very good in the east, it has to be said. I know it's been the opposite in many other parts, which is a pity, but that's the price we pay for a moist subtropical southwesterly.

Very good here in Meath too since May 27th, similar to Dublin with temperatures reaching 20C or slightly higher most days and with the exception of a few days it's been fairly sunny. Last summer was so bad (maybe 6 decent days over the 3 months) that even if the weather turns next week and remains rubbish all the way to September, this summer is already better than last summer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

appledrop wrote: »
    Pauldry you have me in stitches with that post!

Now don't linch me but it actually had been summer in Dublin since 31st May.

We have hit 20 degrees every day bar 1, no rain recorded at Dublin Airport in June and I've been in summer clothes everyday and never cold, that's a record!

Yesterday was very windy no doubt but still over 20 degrees.

I'll take this summer in Dublin as the song goes!

Yea it’s been decent in Dublin so far this month. Looking forward to Saturday and Sunday because from the middle of next week it all goes downhill especially with the temperatures.

Really tempted to book a sun holiday for August because I’m almost certain it will be crap here around then.

Hurry up vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Gonzo wrote: »
    Very good here in Meath too since May 27th, similar to Dublin with temperatures reaching 20C or slightly higher most days and with the exception of a few days it's been fairly sunny. Last summer was so bad (maybe 6 decent days over the 3 months) that even if the weather turns next week and remains rubbish all the way to September, this summer is already better than last summer here.

Spot on Gonzo. I'll get a 'beach day' again on Sunday for second time in short while so that's a sign of good summer.

Now we live near coast so at sea all year around but a real 'beach' day when it's actually lovely and warm and can swim in sea without being freezing is rare enough for me.

Last year we went over June Bank Holiday and never a nice enough day again over the whole summer.

After a dull start
    Super Sunny in Arklow now
    20c atm

• Advertisement

Did I miss M.T. posting that summer has been locked down till 2022? Kilkenny has been miserable for the most part the last few days and I've had to put the heating in June for the first time since the end of February. :(

End of Feb! Were you wearing the heavy pyjamas in March through May? The spring was cold. It’s a bit cooler today in Dublin but not cool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sun beginning to break out here again too, however it is feeling alot fresher, temperature only 16C.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

appledrop wrote: »
    Spot on Gonzo. I'll get a 'beach day' again on Sunday for second time in short while so that's a sign of good summer.

Now we live near coast so at sea all year around but a real 'beach' day when it's actually lovely and warm and can swim in sea without being freezing is rare enough for me.

Last year we went over June Bank Holiday and never a nice enough day again over the whole summer.

It was lovely enough for me on 24th June last year also when I was greeted with a display of altocumulus floccus ahead of the storms later on the 25th which made for a rare sunset with all the sun's rays vividly scattered in the sky. I posted a pic of it in the summer thread last year.

July there were no beach days at all that I remember. If it wasn't too cloudy, it was too chilly. If it wasn't too chilly, it was too cloudy and or too wet. The one day I did go to the beach all month for a stroll (19th) had a sunny evening with good visibility after a cloudy start once the cold front had passed but the temperature was only 13C by that time in a north to northwesterly airflow so felt pretty cool.

8th August was another beach day for me. There was a short period of high cloud around midday which turned skies hazy for a bit but still on the bright side and didn't last long. This was the one day of the August 'warm spell' that I can speak positive about. Nice evenings on 7th, 13th, 14th and 15th August but much of those days were cloudy. Other times, we had low cloud and fog come in off the Irish Sea with the airmass being of a very humid nature.

Have personally found this June so far meh and forgettable in Dublin. It's not been disastrous but not brilliant in my opinion either. Been dry and temperatures above average although nothing noteworthy with sunny spells many days but no standouts like 30 May was. Goes without saying that I'd still take it over what the west have had this month, and 2020 though, no doubt about that. Besides, at least got to see the partial eclipse yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Last Summer was much much better in Sligo.

Had good sunny days most of June.
    Granted it wasnt roasting but 18c a lot of days. Then from June 26th through most of July was bad.
    2nd half of July was OK but 1st half was like this June. Very little sun but its warmer this June.

Got a flukey good 10 days of fine weather last August.

An absense of real warmth and sun this year. Even the warm days are so windy youd set off a forest fire if you had a barbeque.

Spring is always sunnier than Summer here. Even the freezing one weve just had.

Maybe the cooler and fresher weather will at least mean more sunshine for the West in between the rain ...and wind.

Also just saw the UK Met Office weekend weather
    They predict cloud all day tomorrow here until 7 or 8pm
    They predict RAIN Sunday morning then cloud until about 4pm then maybe sun.
    Jeez

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

An 'Ag' 7 day report from this time last year. To my untrained eye, it would seem the Dublin region, though still below average, was still doing better for sunshine than most other parts of the country, at least during this period of the month, so the claim made yesterday that 'the west is only getting a small dose of what the east suffered last June' seems a bit suspect to be perfectly honest.

1.png

That data table is C/O Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Thats shocking Oneric.

I must have Dementia.

The grass is always greener in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Bit disappointing here on Meath/Westmeath border. Sun trying to break through but nothing more than a few fleeting glimpses.

Was hoping to be in the garden with beer in hand but bit too chilly san sunshine. Hopefully get some soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Broken cloud in East Cork, thats it really today.

But it got over 20C for just a few minutes - and thats the first time this year!

It’s only June 11. Why are people writing off summer?

I personally think Dublin has done ok in spring and summer so far. I’ve written one day off from cycling or hiking since April and I’m a wimp - no rule 5 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

superb weather here in Dublin 5 since end of May. Looking like a really warm weekend, bring it on!

I have a much better feeling about this summer. Last year was unusual in that it was the driest spring for something like 30 years.......March, April and May in Dublin were unbelievably dry and sunny, just as well because that was during the 1st lockdown. I think the weather turned in mid June and the summer was a poor one.

This time May was poor but every since about 28th May, the weather here has been excellent and its been over 20 degrees nearly every day. I was having evening pints the other day and when walking back at 10pm, it was 20 degrees. It felt like walking around on the continent on a balmy evening.

Lets hope Summer 2021 is a good one, very good so far

Decent sunny spells over the past hour and it's feeling warmer compared to earlier. Temperature 18C.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Broken cloud in East Cork but mostly good, especially after the muck of the last few days. Sitting out the back now in a bit of warmth with a nice cool beer. Bliss.

Good to see Cork and the south coast in general finally getting some summer time temperatures and sunshine. Back here in Meath it's lovely, it may not be as warm as yesterday but with a lighter wind and much more sunshine it actually feels warmer. Temperature now back up to 19C.

Warmest day of the week in Arklow
    Reached 20c
    Currently 18c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Stunning evening here in Celbridge. Breezy, but not cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Less windy
    Less cold
    Good drying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

It’s only June 11. Why are people writing off summer?

I personally think Dublin has done ok in spring and summer so far. I’ve written one day off from cycling or hiking since April and I’m a wimp - no rule 5 for me.

Cracking summer here so far in Dublin.. One of tge better ones.. Long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Miserable misty day in Donegal, has been an extremely cloudy month again here so far.

The sky has brightened up a lot in the past couple of hours at least so hopefully a precursor for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

June so far in these parts of South Laois has been fairly decent. No substantial rainfalls - just 3.7mm in the first ten days, and today looks set to make that eleven. Temperatures have been above average with 18c or higher recorded on seven out of ten. Likewise overnight minimums have remained in double figures for around the same amount. Got decent sunny spells at times too - no blue sky days but partly cloudy days have given way to clear evenings.
    The only fly in the ointment has been the relentless breeze but it wasn't over-bearing either. The humidity has been high alot of the time too.

Overall a 7/10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Yesterday evening was a beautiful proper summer evening. Really nice sunny and quite warm and today shaping up to be the same. The reports from Dublin are amazing to be honest it’s like a different world up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Fairly disappointing morning, low grey thick cloud hanging around and looks difficult to budge. I was watching ME forecast last night and it had a clear sunny morning forecast until 11 o clock or so.
    On the bright side no wind and a nice mild morning.
    Weather has been very decent around the midlands here. Very little rain, quite warm and sunny spells most days.
    TbH if you told me this would be like this everyday during Summer, despite the heavy clouds, I would take it and run. Especially looking at what the weather is going to bring next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Groundhog day

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Edit spoke to soon. It’s actually partly cloudy and 15 degrees. Saw some article on my newsfeed about ireland being warmer than Marbella this weekend. I had a quick look at Marbella and it’s 25 degrees and sunny currently.

https://m.independent.ie/weather/261d0/40529720.ece/AUTOCROP/w1240/eather20210611p1970

Yes it's 15c currently in most of Ireland.

It's notvthat warm yet and it's midday.

Even drizzle and mist in Sligo for a while at 10am.
    Dry but cold June so far but not freezing just meh and dull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What is going on with forecasting lately, maybe I'm missing something, but it seems completely off the mark (obviously I know its not an exact science), but not exactly a heat wave, not a minute of sunshine here in the slieve bloom mountains, 15 Degrees, very cloudy, mild yes but not the temperatures forecasted.

We're do I complain :) apart from on Boards :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement