Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Started here now as well. 1/30 the way there! Nice heifer calf with a wee pull. Cow calves herself but she messed about all day doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

22 Calved

12 Friesian heifers
    1 AA heifer
    9 Friesian bulls

1 heifer from above was a conventional straw and rest sexed
    3 of the bulls were sexed straws

we lost 1 of the 12 heifers, left the heifer/1st lac for 30 mins to progress after handling and came back calf out and gone, would of been granddaughter to cow that done near 800kg solids last year.

lost a set of twins but they were gone a day or so before calving for whatever reason. we have one live set of twins so 21 live calves from 22 calved

• Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a heifer calved this morning. She wasn't supposed to be in calf.. had a fr heifer calf. Reckon it was a fr bull that nearly died about 20 times that I was afraid to squeeze in case he died that put her in calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Surprise set of twins second calf dead.
    6 calved so far 3 have had twins, one cow lay on one of the twins and this mornings disaster.
    Ever onward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

First one born last night, a little charolais heifer. 2 more for tonight I'd say in calf to the sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Kicked off here today, 2 calved, both had heifer calves. Closest we've been to the due dates starting in a long time, normally would be a week to 10 days before planned start they'd be landing, only 3 days this year.
    Dried off a row of cows as well, will dry off the last of them in 2 weeks time.
    Best of luck everyone for the season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Cow due the end of December still holding on here :o
    Heard roaring from the shed at 6am (I sleep with the window open) so went down to see what was up. Bull having a field day roaring at a heifer in the pen opposite him. Ass :pac:

Took her til 303 days, nice bull calf, came very CH-ish like the mother, big boney, growthy calf, took a pull on the ropes alright.

First one born last night, a little charolais heifer. 2 more for tonight I'd say in calf to the sim.

First sim on the way.

First sim on the way.

Do you still have the bull that had all the calving difficulties last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭tanko

What's the breeding of your Sim bull?

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do you still have the bull that had all the calving difficulties last year?

No I sold him, he wasn't doing much for my mental state.

tanko wrote: »
    What's the breeding of your Sim bull?

Bruchag glenfiddich X clonagh direct debit x raceview King. Another one after calving a handy little heifer to him outside there now as well.

He should be easy calved so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Have cow here not eating since Thursday. Her time is up. Had vet Friday morning and he couldn’t see anything wrong with her but still not eating today so I injected to induce her at 12pm today.

Playing the waiting game now.

He should be easy calved so.

So far so good anyway, pulled a handy little bull calf with just the ropes out of the black cow but she'd have had no bother if I left her to it. Hopefully it stays going like this, some difference to winching the calves out of them like last year.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Have cow here not eating since Thursday. Her time is up. Had vet Friday morning and he couldn’t see anything wrong with her but still not eating today so I injected to induce her at 12pm today.

Did he check her for mastitis?

Did he check her for mastitis?

Yep. No mastitis and very minor temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Had a limousine heifer calf yesterday evening. I gave her a saler bull hoping for a heifer and out pops a bull. Good strong lively calf and mad to suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Grueller

16 calved here. 17 calves.

9 fr heifers (4 from sexed semen)
    6 fr bulls
    1 set of fr twins (1 bull 1 heifer)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Grueller wrote: »
    16 calved here. 17 calves.

9 fr heifers (4 from sexed semen)
    6 fr bulls
    1 set of fr twins (1 bull 1 heifer)

Great start!!Some difference with the 2nd calvers coming into the parlour in comparison to last year with all heifers. We in the same boat here.

• Advertisement

Any improvement today? Could she have twins in her?
    Did you try getting her to eat ivy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

10 calved 10 heifers

dzer2 wrote: »
    10 calved 10 heifers

Sexed?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

4 calved since 10 yesterday evening and another 3 dropped on the pins. Just got another couple of hours in bed
    34 calved so far.
    7 Saler bulls
    21 fr heifers (7 by sexed semen)
    6 fr bulls (1 by sexed semen)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

Sexed?

No stock bull
    Had 31 last yr 24 heifers

Any improvement today? Could she have twins in her?
    Did you try getting her to eat ivy?

She’s back eating and drinking this morning which is good. but no no sign of her to pop albeit pins are well dropped.

I went out this morning to get ivy and I caught her eating on the phone so left the ivy in the ditch as fairly wet morning here.

She was chewing the cud away too this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

40th calved here now, good ratio of bulls to heifers so far

She’s back eating and drinking this morning which is good. but no no sign of her to pop albeit pins are well dropped.

I went out this morning to get ivy and I caught her eating on the phone so left the ivy in the ditch as fairly wet morning here.

She was chewing the cud away too this morning.

Good to hear! :)

6 calves today. Last one there had one leg bent back. Massive fr bull out of fr4728. Missed liverpool's first goal .

• Advertisement

6 calves today. Last one there had one leg bent back. Massive fr bull out of fr4728. Missed liverpool's first goal .

Maybe the calf thought he was kicking it :D

Advertisement