Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tracy Chapman

• 16-01-2021 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

People forget her songs. Superb as they are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Was never a fan. Completely overrated by Irish people, like David Gray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Shes no Biggie or 2pac.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

David Soul, who never killed any of the Hutch gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Mulbert wrote: »
    People forget her songs.

Not I

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Very talented artist but apparently painfully shy. I love a lot of her stuff. 💕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Mulbert

About 20 years ahead of herself in reverse!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Mulbert

If only she had sang a few tunes with bodycount and ice t ,
    bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I thought Charlie Chaplin for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Ah she's a superb musician now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

She's got a fast car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

She's got a fast car

She had in her hole, a e10 with a big box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Mmmm fast car

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Lauras Law

I remember being very young when she released Fast Car and thinking she was actually the guy from Kenan & Kel

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Mulbert wrote: »
    About 20 years ahead of herself in reverse!

So a 90's Joan Armatrading?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

VeVeX wrote: »
    Was never a fan. Completely overrated by Irish people, like David Gray.

White ladder is nothing short of perfect. Nothing overrated about David Gray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Has she really got a fast car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aslanroars

saw her live in the Baggett inn.think within 2 weeks she was number 1 in UK.later that year she played with hothouse flowers deacon blue in the rds .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Lauras Law wrote: »
    I remember being very young when she released Fast Car and thinking she was actually the guy from Kenan & Kel

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/back-on-track-1.219960
    Tracy Chapman zoomed into the Top 10 with her debut single, Fast Car, in July 1988...

Fast-forward to 1998, and Tracy Chapman's debut album is back in the Irish charts - no one knows why

Theory one is that Tracy Chapman was made available on mid-price earlier this year, making it a more attractive buy. But that hardly explains its huge resurgence - loads of old albums are available at mid-price, but you don't see them hanging round the Irish Top 10 for 18 weeks. And besides, why would thousands of Irish punters wait around for 10 years just for the price of a CD to come down? We might be divils for the fags and drink, but we're definitely not mean, are we?

Theory two puts the blame squarely on the shoulders of Boyzone, who covered one of the songs on Tracy Chapman. When the Boyz topped the charts with their version of Baby Can I Hold You?, goes the logic, everybody rushed out to buy the original, shooting Chapman's debut album back into the charts. Yeah, right. Next they'll be telling us that Boyzone revived the career of The Bee Gees, or that Radiohead rescued Joe Dolan from certain obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

chrissb8 wrote: »

I'd say he's overrated by compares with some great artists that were seriously underrated

Loudon Wainwright 3rd wrote some genius song melodies and lyrics esp 70's, 80's. He's more famous for fathering son, Rufus.
    Loudon hardly saw light of day in Ireland. Yet, he was arguably up there with Waits and Dylan

Joan Armatrading (already mentioned) was a far more capable artist than T Chapman. Compare 'down to zero' with 'fast car'

I know 'the mob', the 'lowest common denominator' vote with their money and create the Number Ones. But it doesnt always make em right

Of course, you cannot blame folk for their musical taste but it hurts to see really gifted artists overlooked for fairly mediocre stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm not a fan but she was ahead of her time, she really set a template for the future singer/songwriter genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Can't stand him myself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

As albums go, its absolutely brilliant! He never hit the heights again but that album was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

6541 wrote: »
    Has she really got a fast car ?

She has a pcp Dacia duster with 4wd sticker on the boot lid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Moving to the Music Forum, reminder to read local charter before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Fast Car never appears on 80s compilations. Not at the time or since.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

I like her. We listened to her often when my kids were small. Reminds me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Alfred123 wrote: »
    I'd say he's overrated by compares with some great artists that were seriously underrated

Loudon Wainwright 3rd wrote some genius song melodies and lyrics esp 70's, 80's. He's more famous for fathering son, Rufus.
    Loudon hardly saw light of day in Ireland. Yet, he was arguably up there with Waits and Dylan

Joan Armatrading (already mentioned) was a far more capable artist than T Chapman. Compare 'down to zero' with 'fast car'

I know 'the mob', the 'lowest common denominator' vote with their money and create the Number Ones. But it doesnt always make em right

Of course, you cannot blame folk for their musical taste but it hurts to see really gifted artists overlooked for fairly mediocre stuff

It's not a competition. When I hear people talk like this I wonder if they're even music fans. You can certainly like one more than the other, fair enough.

But to belittle or say one is not important because XYZ did this or that is fairly reductive.

Just gives a sense that one is trying to extol their music taste as superior to another.

This years love, Babylon, sail away are master pieces and will be covered by probably many artists you will come to love in the future. Songs like that in of themselves are great as stand alone without having to be compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

But to belittle or say one is not important because XYZ did this or that is fairly reductive.

Just gives a sense that one is trying to extol their music taste as superior to another.

This years love, Babylon, sail away are master pieces and will be covered by probably many artists you will come to love in the future. Songs like that in of themselves are great as stand alone without having to be compared.

You seem to be the one here extolling their music 'babylon' 'sail away' .. as being superior. 'Masterpieces', you say ..

No harm in that. Its your opinion. I am simply expressing mine

I hope you don't mind me not ever wanting to hear these songs again

Sorry if it offends. But there it is.

In fact, if that Gray fellow comes on the tranny again, I swear, i'll fling it at the wall
    Lols

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

aslanroars wrote:
    saw her live in the Baggett inn.think within 2 weeks she was number 1 in UK.later that year she played with hothouse flowers deacon blue in the rds .

I saw her there too. Wasn't it a free gig? I think it was April '88. I remember the shock in the room when she asked people not to smoke. Different times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Tracy chapman sounded a bit like a fella. Songs were very catchy and unusual for the mainstream music media at the time, same with David Grey.
    I'd like to hear TC sing some of DG s songs and vice versa.
    Captain beef heart was streets ahead of TC of course and much underated... don't you know..😬

Advertisement