Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I had a flexible cystoscopy (google it at your peril) this morning. Guess what the consultant had on in the background as I was having it? Focking Tubs. I was almost about to ask him “is the pain you’re about to inflict not enough without this?”.

I had a flexible cystoscopy (google it at your peril) this morning. Guess what the consultant had on in the background as I was having it? Focking Tubs. I was almost about to ask him “is the pain you’re about to inflict not enough without this?”.

Did you have sedation caller?

Love watching de pathology on de screen as scopes are being done. Colonoscopies, gastroscopies, bronchoscopies, Ileoscopies. Love when they take de biopsies and then with a pilaff of laser smoke, cauterise it. Never had a cystoscopy, though, much easier in a woman due to length of urethra and it being pushed past sensitive prostate and that.

Did you have sedation caller?

Love watching de pathology on de screen as scopes are being done. Colonoscopies, gastroscopies, bronchoscopies, Ileoscopies. Love when they take de biopsies and then with a pilaff of laser smoke, cauterise it. Never had a cystoscopy, though, much easier in a woman due to length of urethra and it being pushed past sensitive prostate and that.

Local anesthetic so to speak....i.e. gel applied to area, about as useful as a chocolate tea pot. Huge reluctance in hospitals at the moment to put anyone under unless absolutely necessary because of COVID etc. Needless to say, I am in absolute agony. I should call Mr. Duffy and describe the pain in minute detail as the scope went down my "shaft" and into my bladder. Howe many sharp intakes of breath do you think I could get describing that?

Local anesthetic so to speak....i.e. gel applied to area, about as useful as a chocolate tea pot. Huge reluctance in hospitals at the moment to put anyone under unless absolutely necessary because of COVID etc. Needless to say, I am in absolute agony. I should call Mr. Duffy and describe the pain in minute detail as the scope went down my "shaft" and into my bladder. Howe many sharp intakes of breath do you think I could get describing that?

Wrap a Versatis cylindrically around it. If you ever saw de aftermath of an adult circumcision that had to be performed for prostate surgery, as I saw, it is very sobering, never saw anything so painful looking in my life and it causes immense swelling with de stitches buried in de flesh. Can't be compared to nature's expansion, so to speak. People always go on about what women go through but most women don't actually see men's stuff with their own eyes.

Wrap a Versatis cylindrically around it. If you ever saw de aftermath of an adult circumcision that had to be performed for prostate surgery, as I saw, it is very sobering, never saw anything so painful looking in my life and it causes immense swelling with de stitches buried in de flesh. Can't be compared to nature's expansion, so to speak. People always go on about what women go through but most women don't actually see men's stuff with their own eyes.

I'd need a few if I'm wrapping them lengthways so to speak. ;)

• Advertisement

I'd need a few if I'm wrapping them lengthways so to speak. ;)

I once called someone's bluff on dat, so to speak. Always carry a measuring tape.

Expect this at 9am...

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f297cb50e1179b55c3297a7014c0317983d08fb8861&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

He wouldn't be lying, but he'll play it out to the hilt-from what I can see, we are outliers. We are a hundred per cent right, but most of the populace don't see it.

I have a feeling that in a couple of years, the rest of the world/Irish viewing and listening public will catch up, and I don't mean to be arrogant when I say that.

To my mind, he's light years worse than Kenny, and that man got ROASTED when the hosted the show.

He wouldn't be lying, but he'll play it out to the hilt-from what I can see, we are outliers. We are a hundred per cent right, but most of the populace don't see it.

I have a feeling that in a couple of years, the rest of the world/Irish viewing and listening public will catch up, and I don't mean to be arrogant when I say that.

To my mind, he's light years worse than Kenny, and that man got ROASTED when the hosted the show.

Vast majority of people are not moved to actually express opinions one way or the other on social media. Those who are interested in throwing a light on our broadcasting media are moved to post, as are some genuine admirers plus the sizeable cohort that is part of the presenters' support campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Did you do anything interesting this weekend, Ryan?
    Yeah, I recorded a man having an emotional breakdown and broadcast it to the nation.

• Advertisement

Dust mites.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

By jaysus hes talking some rambling $hite this morning.
    I've already switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Tubridy's logic:

Use the late Roger Moore to launch a personal attack on Grace Jones, and broadcast it on national radio - ok.

Use Twitter to criticise someone - bad.

Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

It's sad really. Hope he never bumps into Grace Jones, she'd eat him up and spit him out.

Today's show is brought to you by 'small talk' and some 'Big talk'

Must be sponsored by Barry's tae.

"Folks if you've nothing nice to say about somebody, don't say it at all. I'll say it anyway, so this woman in the Wicklow mountains commented about my appearance..."

"Did you know that Roger Moore didn't like Grace Jones. I looked it up on Wikipedia."

Followed by a thinly-veiled diatribe about social media and virtual graffiti, they're lost down that rabbit hole Ryan...lost forever...unless they sing your praises then they are suddenly rehabilitated.

Still talking about "It's a Wonderful Life".

Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Late tuning in.
    Just wondering has he plugged the Barry McGuigan interview on the LLS yet?

One of the most uncomfortable, unsettling and exploitative things I've watched on RTE in a long time.:(

Expecting him to direct any viewers who missed it to the RTE Player this morning to fully appreciate the "emotional power" of it all.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    It's sad really. Hope he never bumps into Grace Jones, she'd eat him up and spit him out.

Today's show is brought to you by 'small talk' and some 'Big talk'

Must be sponsored by Barry's tae.

I would be glued to LLS if he were to have Grace Jones on. I was there when the late Russell Harty had that car crash interview with her :D

He would sh*t his pants if he had to interview Grace Jones. I read her autobiography, it was a good read to be fair - interesting lady with an interesting life, she certainly enjoyed herself.

Fun fact: Trevor Horn produced 12” of ‘Slave To The Rhythm’ remains one of my all time favourite pieces of music.

Still talking about "It's a Wonderful Life".

Bloody hell.

It most certainly is if you work in or for RTÉ. Not a care nor a worry in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Decided not to tune into this morning’s show for obvious reasons.

What did he say about Miss Grace Jones?

Decided not to tune into this morning’s show for obvious reasons.

What did he say about Miss Grace Jones?

Were there extra obvious reasons not to tune in today? I don’t watch TLLS so don’t know how bad it was (compared to the usual awful baseline level of course), or did the BoyMan do something extra ridiculous this weekend that I missed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

He would sh*t his pants if he had to interview Grace Jones. I read her autobiography, it was a good read to be fair - interesting lady with an interesting life, she certainly enjoyed herself.

Fun fact: Trevor Horn produced 12” of ‘Slave To The Rhythm’ remains one of my all time favourite pieces of music.
    Heeeeeere's Grace :)
    She was 62 in this video - in 2010

I don't think bland, beige people are Grace's priority!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kSZVtLFygs

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Tubs: So Grace, as a black woman born and bred in Jamaica, can you tell us about your Irish roots?

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Fun Fact: The 12” has a vocal intro by Ian McShane. This is why I’m banned from pub quizzes.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Most critics say Frankie’s ‘Two Tribes’ is ZTT’s finest hour, but for me ‘Slave To The Rhythm’ is far superior. Everything from the vocals to the production (obviously) to the musicians used - no OTT bombast, no clutter. Precise, sleek, and still sounds amazing over 35(!) years later. :)

Most critics say Frankie’s ‘Two Tribes’ is ZTT’s finest hour, but for me ‘Slave To The Rhythm’ is far superior. Everything from the vocals to the production (obviously) to the musicians used - no OTT bombast, no clutter. Precise, sleek, and still sounds amazing over 35(!) years later. :)

Agree 100%. On a good system, it is glorious.

I love a lot of the ZTT extended versions and remixes (all of the Frankie stuff), of which there are many versions and reissues, notably 'The Art of the 12"' Collections from a few years back, from which Slave is absent from memory....I assume licensing reasons.

Also worth checking out though are the Blank & Jones Frankie reworking (made from the original master tapes):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/So80s-So-Eighties-Presents-Ztt/dp/B00I9NJHD6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=blank+and+jones+ztt&qid=1610974343&sr=8-1

"Rage Hard" in particular is a standout:

They didn't have access to the Grace Jones back catalogue, would have been very interesting to see what they would have come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Late tuning in.
    Just wondering has he plugged the Barry McGuigan interview on the LLS yet?

One of the most uncomfortable, unsettling and exploitative things I've watched on RTE in a long time.:(

Expecting him to direct any viewers who missed it to the RTE Player this morning to fully appreciate the "emotional power" of it all.
    just watched it now, feel bad for barry, he wanted to help us all, but it wasn't the right time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

"Folks if you've nothing nice to say about somebody, don't say it at all. I'll say it anyway, so this woman in the Wicklow mountains commented about my appearance..."

"Did you know that Roger Moore didn't like Grace Jones. I looked it up on Wikipedia."

Followed by a thinly-veiled diatribe about social media and virtual graffiti, they're lost down that rabbit hole Ryan...lost forever...unless they sing your praises then they are suddenly rehabilitated.

To be honest his speech about the hateful comments on social media struck a chord with me. The vile abuse that men on this site dole out at tubridy is nothinv short of shameful. Angry bitter people with so little going on that the purposefully listen to a show they hate in order to give out about it.

And before someone says "Hi Ryan", you are not as original or funny as you think. Get a hobby boys.

• Advertisement

Agree 100%. On a good system, it is glorious.

I love a lot of the ZTT extended versions and remixes (all of the Frankie stuff), of which there are many versions and reissues, notably 'The Art of the 12"' Collections from a few years back, from which Slave is absent from memory....I assume licensing reasons.

Also worth checking out though are the Blank & Jones Frankie reworking (made from the original master tapes):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/So80s-So-Eighties-Presents-Ztt/dp/B00I9NJHD6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=blank+and+jones+ztt&qid=1610974343&sr=8-1

"Rage Hard" in particular is a standout:

They didn't have access to the Grace Jones back catalogue, would have been very interesting to see what they would have come up with.

On the subject of ZTT, I was particularly taken with Duel, by Propaganda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnQ2zOmb6Hg

Advertisement