Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carpentry tools for a teenager

• 23-11-2019 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

My son who is 14 has a big interest in carpentry. He loves the subject in school, his teacher said he is excellent and hasn't had a student like him in years. He has made a few bits out in the garage at home, a potting table, shelves etc

He is asking for a lathe or a router for xmas, we are trying to pull him back on these ideas for the moment. While he uses them in school, I wouldn't like him on his own using these in the garage just yet.

I would like to start him with a tool kit of his own though, stuff that's decent enough quality. What would you start him with for around €300.

Comments

..board.. wrote: »
    My son who is 14 has a big interest in carpentry. He loves the subject in school, his teacher said he is excellent and hasn't had a student like him in years. He has made a few bits out in the garage at home, a potting table, shelves etc

He is asking for a lathe or a router for xmas, we are trying to pull him back on these ideas for the moment. While he uses them in school, I wouldn't like him on his own using these in the garage just yet.

I would like to start him with a tool kit of his own though, stuff that's decent enough quality. What would you start him with for around €300.

Are you looking for hand tools, I'm guessing so from the content of your post in that you don't want him using a router/lathe.

Not sure what he already has in terms of tools so would perhaps be an idea for you to post what he had, but If he has a bench and vice, I would go with a veritas dovetail saw and either a no 5 or no 4 plane.
    In terms of the plane if you don't want to go the ebay route fine tools or dictum tools in Germany do good copies of the lie neilsen planes at less than half the price.
    Sharpening has many different systems available, but a Trend double sided diamond stone would do him along with a strop and honing compound for the plane blade and any chisels that he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ..board..

I'm thinking more hand tools for now. My husband has a circular saw, jigsaws, drills etc

We have a bench, vice, clamps, a few different sanders.

I'd was thinking of a hand saw of his own, he doesn't have a decent plane or chisel set either.

Thanks for those recommendations

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lathes would be generally safe to use, worst I've had over the five years I've had one is a couple of bashed knuckles when turning eccentric pieces. Most woodworkring tools come with a potential to hurt yourself if you're being stupid, except maybe things like hand planes (unless you drop one on your toes).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I don't think he would be too happy with a few hand tools for Christmas. I'd get him a router and a router table and eye and ear protection.
    Seriously though if these are the kind of things he wants for Christmas I'd hazard a guess he is a very responsible young chap and you should treat him that way and give him a bit of credit and trust him to use the tools correctly. He's been shown the correct methods and safety procedures in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iamtony wrote:
    I don't think he would be too happy with a few hand tools for Christmas. I'd get him a router and a router table and eye and ear protection. Seriously though if these are the kind of things he wants for Christmas I'd hazard a guess he is a very responsible young chap and you should treat him that way and give him a bit of credit and trust him to use the tools correctly. He's been shown the correct methods and safety procedures in school.

How much would a router, with a router table set you back?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »

A quick Google and a decent table is 269: https://www.iedepot.ie/router-tableskreg-router-table/ but I'm sure you could get both in the budget.

Oh, ye are making me think twice now about the lathe or router

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Wanderer78 wrote: »

A router table and router are serious bits of kit for a 14 year to get if they dont receive proper training.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mycro2013 wrote:
    A router table and router are serious bits of kit for a 14 year to get if they dont receive proper training.

Yea I'm aware of that, I'm fairly nervous of the one in our local mens shed, newbies such as myself aren't allowed use them, and rightly so

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Yeah I know what your saying but it sounds like he would be well able. That's just what I would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Oh, ye are making me think twice now about the lathe or router

I routed out a stair stringer in fifth year for woodwork,he has been shown the safe way in school so I'd be of the mind to let him at it. Get your husband to ask him for an instructional once he gets it in case your husband has been doing something wrong all these years;-). Just to gauge his capabilities.

iamtony wrote: »
    Yeah I know what your saying but it sounds like he would be well able. That's just what I would do.

And to put it in to perspective no first year carpentry apprentice would be left use a router on site. And these lads would be 18.

He will have to learn how to correctly and comfortably use hand tools prior to getting power tools. It's the main route to progress in any trade. I wouldn't be in any rush to buy him any power tools as yet. Good quality hand tools will last a lifetime, are a great investment will have a nostalgic value which isn't to be disregarded. Every tradesman has some bit of kit which they bought while serving their time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a lathe would probably be out of budget, certainly if you were to buy new. you can get a decent enough lathe for under €400, but there are a few other bits and bobs which would probably add €200 to the purchase.

He will have to learn how to correctly and comfortably use hand tools prior to getting power tools. It's the main route to progress in any trade. I wouldn't be in any rush to buy him any power tools as yet. Good quality hand tools will last a lifetime, are a great investment will have a nostalgic value which isn't to be disregarded. Every tradesman has some bit of kit which they bought while serving their time.
    He already uses this stuff in school and they will of shown all the correct safety procedures.
    I'm not saying handtools aren't great, I'm saying it's Christmas and he isn't asking for a playstation or the rediculously priced clothes my son and his mates are looking for as Christmas presents so give him a bit of credit.
    At that age he will be more than capable and probably better than most adults at using safety procedures.

sure get him a few rusty but good quality baileys in a car boot sale, and tell him they're his christmas present once he restores them. job done, €50 spent.

A playstation hasn't the same potential to cause injury as woodwork equipment has.

While any 14 year old may be capable to use this equipment the key question is, are they competent.

A playstation hasn't the same potential to cause injury as woodwork equipment has.

While any 14 year old may be capable to use this equipment the key question is, are they competent.
    My 10 year old daughter uses drills and a bandsaw and a few other bits I can't remember under my supervision. Just saying we don't give young people enough credit these days.
    Actually as I say that would he be interested in a bandsaw? that could be a good compromise they are generally considered pretty safe to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

That's great that he has an interest and talent for carpentry. I didn't learn any woodwork until I was in college for fine art and had to make panels and frames and I really struggled at first, because I never had a father to show me how to use tools and unfortunately in my school they only put the less academic or more troublesome kids into the wood or metal shop classes. Wrong way to do it IMO, as carpentry is very useful.

I later found out that my uncle was an excellent carpenter who kitted out half the pubs in the town my mother is from and made a mint working in England. I really wish I had been taught more about carpentry at an early age, as my college degree is useless for employment.

A good quality handsaw (the type that gets wider towards the handle) and various clamps are the tools I use the most, and a mitre box for making joints, which came as a set with a small rectangular handsaw. In college we had a thing that was like a hacksaw on a swivel that was clamped to a workbench, not sure what it's called. It was still powered by hand but it would click into the different angles which was handy, better than a mitre box but a mitre box is much cheaper.

Another thing(s) I use a lot that shouldn't be underestimated are measuring tools, I have a metre long metal ruler that has a handle in the middle and a level built into it, a clear plastic half metre one with a steel edge for cutting straight lines with a stanley blade (sometimes i start cuts into ply that way) a T square, and another metal ruler that is shaped into a right angle. Measure twice cut once and all that.

I was looking into buying power tools but the price and the prospect of injuring myself put me off getting a table saw (was warned about kickback injuries, googled it and yeah, no thanks) and for what I do it turned out I didnt really need it, I just needed to practice more with the hand saw, and get a better, more stable work bench.

Another item that isnt a tool per se but might come in handy is a respirator mask. I do a lot of sanding, and though I usually do it outside and my sander has a thing that sucks up dust, I have one on hand anyway cuz sometimes I use MDF which can be harmful and also I use lots of paint and solvents. Gotta protect the old lungs. They vary a lot in price I use a cheap 3m half mask was like 20 quid i think.

Thanks for the discussion.
    Excuse the everyday life surrounding the pics.
    This is what he mas made that is knocking around the house.

Pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Power tool time.

Under initial supervision he will be fine afterwards

Thanks for the discussion.
    Excuse the everyday life surrounding the pics.
    This is what he mas made that is knocking around the house.

He is brilliant, I wish he was my child:D
    As listermint said its power tool time:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I don't think a router is the right choice at this point in time - just because you can enable him more with other options within the budget.

Given the budget and what he's built so far, a mid-range tracksaw like the Triton would make sense, it will enable him to jump to the next level of accuracy for fine furniture, and it's a tool he can expand on by using it to construct his own jigs and benches for finer work. Add a strong trim router later (one that can handle being in a table) and he'll be flying.

For example Jacksons in Kilcoole do Triton tools at solid prices (not the cheapest, but a "family business located in the country" level of support): https://www.jjacksontools.com/en/1400w-plunge-track-saw - so it's possible on your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Good shout above especially trim router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I'd recommend a lathe for him. I was about that age when I got one and got a huge amount of use from it, I used to turn coffee tables legs etc for leaving cert students construction projects 🀑. That was before schools had lathes though.

Avoid the router, a dangerous tool for an inexperienced power tool user.

Thanks for that suggestion, everything is "rustic" at the moment. He goes to the local sawmill and buys from the off-cuts in the corner.
    Or we have a field of hazel to take from.

Thanks for that suggestion, everything is "rustic" at the moment. He goes to the local sawmill and buys from the off-cuts in the corner.
    Or we have a field of hazel to take from.

Is there any local cabinet maker you/he could approach and ask for some Saturday work helping to install units or the like for the busy Christmas period. As good as the woodwork department in the school maybe they are limited by what they can do due to the curriculum and time constraints.

would anyone running a business take a minor on like that though, especially on a job which requires power tools?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

iamtony wrote: »
    My 10 year old daughter uses drills and a bandsaw and a few other bits I can't remember under my supervision.

Absolutely fair play to her. That was my big regret in going to an all girls secondary school. I even asked if a woodwork class could be added to the TY programme.... My school actually had a fantastic TY programme but no joy.

I was lucky to an extent as my dad was a tradesman so he'd do all the diy jobs in the house so you'd be roped in. While I'm confident enough with flatpack (not really a huge achievement) I would love to be more confident in general diy..... There's zero hope of me drilling walls or embarking on anything that would result in a huge bill to clean up my mess :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Pics

He is so talented!! Fair play to him.

Advertisement