Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planer chips

Options
  • 03-04-2017 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Lads what do you do with planer chips? I recently acquired a planer thicknesser and bought a chip collector to go with it but I filled the bag in one afternoon! I only have one bag at the mo so currently it's sitting full off to one side and the chip collector is spitting chips out into a knee deep pile in the corner! Don't think the binman will be to happy if I leave it sitting on top of me wheelie bin so how do ye dispose of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Lads what do you do with planer chips? I recently acquired a planer thicknesser and bought a chip collector to go with it but I filled the bag in one afternoon! I only have one bag at the mo so currently it's sitting full off to one side and the chip collector is spitting chips out into a knee deep pile in the corner! Don't think the binman will be to happy if I leave it sitting on top of me wheelie bin so how do ye dispose of them?

Mix them with grass cuttings to make compost. It takes about two years and will swallow a lot of bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

recipio wrote: »
    Mix them with grass cuttings to make compost. It takes about two years and will swallow a lot of bags.

i think you need to be carefull about exotic timbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I've about 2 bags worth of poplar at the mo, that OK for compost?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how big a garden do you have? you could use them in the same way you'd use bark chippings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bov5hW3j_8
    or you could make one of these out of a scheppach log splitter

• Advertisement

Have about half an acre of garden and herself is currently planting a large veggie patch so I could use it that way. Although that briquette maker is more along the lines of what I was originally thinking!

dathi wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bov5hW3j_8
    or you could make one of these out of a scheppach log splitter

Now that is on my xmas list. Any wood will compost down,even the exotics - bacteria don't discriminate.;)

I thought it did somethin to the ph of the soil. I could be wrong.

I burn all mine.
    I have a few wheelie bins and put a small bucket of it into the outside burner every time. Great heat and gets rid of it quick enough

Do you need to prepare the chips somehow before burning or just chuck them onto a going fire?

I've seen clips of stuffing cardboard boxes with saw dust. Are chips the same?

we hav an outside burner.
    you can put half a wheel barrow into it. the chances of sealing off the fire are slim. problems happen when you seal off the fire too much.

we have a small bucket (I think its fence life) . I fill the fire with turf or timber then throw the bucket of chip on top.

I do it with all kinds of chips and sawdust.
    I havnt tried it with just fine dust . I think that could be dangerous.

if I have a small box in the workshop I just fill that and put it in the fire

• Advertisement

you can put half a wheel barrow into it. the chances of sealing off the fire are slim. problems happen when you seal off the fire too much.

we have a small bucket (I think its fence life) . I fill the fire with turf or timber then throw the bucket of chip on top.

http://www.epa.ie/waste/householder/burn/

http://www.epa.ie/waste/householder/burn/
    What's your point.
    None of that is relevant to any of what I said

What's your point.

your sawdust and wood shavings are classed as waste and burning them in your back garden is prohibited under the act

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

the non-toxic stuff makes good pet bedding I believe - if you know someone with rabbits/chickens etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i dump my shavings (from woodturning) down the end of the garden. have been known to piss on them occasionally, helps them rot down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I used to have something like this,but didnt last long as you need a second smaller barrel inside the big barrel

Never made a fry on it though :D

At the moment Im looking at getting one of these stoves for the shed

http://www.woodferne.com/maeve-non-boiler-workshop-stove-12kw/

What's your point.

your sawdust and wood shavings are classed as waste and burning them in your back garden is prohibited under the act
    Still nothing like what I said.
    I burn them in an outside burner that heats the house.

Trouble is, you are going to want to burns scraps as well. I got a stove from here - www.thehotspot.co.uk many years ago and it has lasted well.The chimney cowl tends to rot away in our weather so I'm on number three at present.A bit pricey though.

I think I'm going to have a go at making one of these compound lever press machines and turn them into briquettes to heat the workshop after summer. It's a interesting project if nothing else!

..Brian.. wrote: »
    I think I'm going to have a go at making one of these compound lever press machines and turn them into briquettes to heat the workshop after summer. It's a interesting project if nothing else!

there is a guy in russia(i think) on you tube who has made much better design that makes loads of them at one time.

i tried it a few years ago.
    it works but its slow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Very fine dust was used in munitions during the war years( not that i was around then), as its highly explosive,,,

Advertisement