Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

The football commentary was much better today without Dave Mcintyre roaring and bawling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Lads I'm all over the gaf with the scedule. Why was Henry McKean on at 6 or 7 in the evening?

What's the craic with Talking History?

Is there any reason to listen to Talking Books?

Why is the TED radio hour nowhere near as interesting as you'd think it would be? Is it the awful music?

Haha! Questions I asked myself today as well! Henry McKean on at 7pm was a strange one....

The Talking Books presenter's voice when reading out a script is infuriating. When interviewing normally, it's fine.

Saying that, I like the idea of the show, mainly because I love books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the Henry McKean thing is all the more odd considering it's a repeat of the show that goes out around 9 or 10am that morning too.
    surely they could find a repeat of something else in the evening instead?

the Henry McKean thing is all the more odd considering it's a repeat of the show that goes out around 9 or 10am that morning too.
    surely they could find a repeat of something else in the evening instead?
    And it often features items lifted directly from McKean's 'out and about' slot on Moncrieff.

I heard his vox pop on 'bad breath' three times. Three times too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭maebee

As Tara Duggan was presenting today's lunchtime programme, the ad break jingle continuously played "Lunchtime with Jonathan Healy".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

Will the new schedule be fully in place next monday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

He just wasn't pulling decent numbers in his previous timeslot, he was up against guys like Tubridy and Pat Kenny at the time. It was fairly light content also, quite similar to Moncrieff actually.

He's in his element presenting the type of show he has now imo. He's back to what he does best.

Tom is the kinda guy I'd liked to have a chat with. Always liked his style of presenting.

I'm listening less and less to Newstalk since they started shuffling around the presenters. Really off putting not knowing who gonna be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Tom is the kinda guy I'd liked to have a chat with. Always liked his style of presenting.

I'm listening less and less to Newstalk since they started shuffling around the presenters. Really off putting not knowing who gonna be on.

I like that they're willing to change,certainly keeps the presenters on their toes.

Unlike its rival station whose presenters have to be dragged out feet first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

It's so strange they haven't announced anything concrete regarding start dates.

Probably don't want to remind people how terrible the current schedule is..!

Surely they must all return the same week. 7 hours of Pat, George and Moncrieff sounds great to me!

Aside from all that, Tom Dunne is the master of this time slot. He doesn't do anything better than this and nobody does it better than him imo.

As much as I bash some of their programming/ers. I would consider 9-4 and 7-12 of the new schedule as the best on Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,573 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yeah, I'd like to have a few pints with Tom. He has to have some deadly stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Who's the guy presenting the right hook at the moment? His voice is horrific, he shouldn't be allowed near a microphone. Is he getting a regular slot? Please say no...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I know the OTB lads mentioned that they were getting their pictures taken yesterday for the website, and I'd assume the new presenters were in to get theirs done too, so you'd presume that it's in advance of Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

One has got to question the thought process behind their musical chairs approach at the moment. Aside from Moncrieff and Off The Ball its a mess.

The dial at home is usually stuck to Newstalk, but in recent weeks now I am going across to The Last Word more and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

so you'd presume that it's in advance of Monday.

According to Chris Donoghue's Twitter profile the new schedule starts Sept 12th...
    Journalist & Broadcaster. New program @NewstalkDrive starts Sept 12th 2016 (4-7pm Mon-Fri).

https://twitter.com/chrisrdonoghue?lang=en

FFS. Ian O'Doherty should be permanently housed in Marconi House and be placed in regular combat with these NT "panels". They are about as fair and balanced as Fox News claims to be.

If you want to wear a burka/burkini and live by Islamic "law" go and live in a Muslim country. Laughable hypocrisy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

FFS. Ian O'Doherty should be permanently housed in Marconi House and be placed in regular combat with these NT "panels". They are about as fair and balanced as Fox News claims to be.

If you want to wear a burka/burkini and live by Islamic "law" go and live in a Muslim country. Laughable hypocrisy.

This mornings debate was pathetic and I am none the wiser as to what any of them wanted apart from shouting oppression. The whole burqa/burkini debate has the all feminazis panties in a wad (and dare I say the libtards) but not knowing which way to turn "ban the oppressive burka/burkini now!!! wait, don't dare make women wear a burkini on the beach!!! wait, don't dare tell us what not to wear!!! wait, that doesn't equate to what I just said before this...um f**k all religion and repeal the 8th now!!!!!"

mc6iig.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I was going to make this point earlier this week with regard to their news bulletins about Donald Trump. Their subjective stories about him are bordering on incitement to hatred, which is sort of ironic. And I'm no huge fan of Donald Trump, but I just dont appreciate the way that they are trying to influence my opinions on this issue.

Sarah Carey's initial "question" at the start of the show this morning was indicative of what was to come. She had her mind made up from the start, and it was up to the panel to convince her otherwise. Which is rare in Newstalk, as there is not usually a dissenting opinion. Apart from George, everybody in Newstalk seems to have the same opinions about everything. except for Hook.

I was going to make this point earlier this week with regard to their news bulletins about Donald Trump. Their subjective stories about him are bordering on incitement to hatred, which is sort of ironic. And I'm no huge fan of Donald Trump, but I just dont appreciate the way that they are trying to influence my opinions on this issue.

Sarah Carey's initial "question" at the start of the show this morning was indicative of what was to come. She had her mind made up from the start, and it was up to the panel to convince her otherwise. Which is rare in Newstalk, as there is not usually a dissenting opinion. Apart from George, everybody in Newstalk seems to have the same opinions about everything. except for Hook.

It may be representative of a lot of the MSM worldwide but aside from Hooky and a short segment on Pat Kenny a couple of weeks ago you hear absolutely nothing about the almost daily scandals surrounding the Clinton Foundation.

I can't make my mind up on Trump. I suspect he'd be better for the USA but worse for the rest of us. The Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson would be in with a real shot had he been even given a shake at it.

Shane Coleman must be the moral compass that the rest have to follow. I do give them credit for giving George air time though as he is the only dissenting voice on Irish radio that I am aware of.

Is it just me or does someone cover for Pat a LOT?

Like, he's off more than he's on (recently, anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Is it just me or does someone cover for Pat a LOT? Like, he's off more than he's on (recently, anyway).

He has been away a lot Donie, but not much more than any of the equivalent radio "stars". But NT has been a joke since they announced the new lineup. It's like a student station, where whoever happens to be walking past the canteen has to present the show.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's been a bit crazy alright. Only till next week, though.

Of all the shows, though, I think Pat's suffers the most when's he's not there.

Well, except Moncrieff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is it just me or does someone cover for Pat a LOT?

Like, he's off more than he's on (recently, anyway).

Pat is sleeping it off. https://i.imgur.com/oN7OOfu.jpg

Haha very good! Hopefully he is back tomorrow.

Am I the only one who wants to take a sledgehammer to the radio everytime this new newsreader is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Am I the only one who wants to take a sledgehammer to the radio everytime this new newsreader is on.

Thankfully it's not just me...!!! She's is a complete dose, I assume this is michelle mcmullen you are speaking of. I mean the news can be repetitive a lot of the time but she has a way of making your ears bleed.....

"I've been on the housing list since I'm 19. It's disgraceful". GOOD!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a real we don't want the outsiders coming in to our area going on in Ringsend isn't it. They're far from the only people who would wish to live in the area they grew up in, but don't due to costs. "That's our land". The modern day Field.

Too many foddeners. Dublin city could certainly do with a bit of gentrification.

Should have moved the scobies out years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I was only ranting to my husband about her yesterday. Her pacing and intonation while reading the first line of a news story/the headline is bizarre. She...reads...the...line...so...slowly...overpronouncing...every...syllable with strangely placed pauses but then reads the rest of the story at a normal speaking pace. It absolutely wrecks my head :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Anything would of sounded good after a couple of years of Eamon Keane. Healy was originally paired with Damien Kiberd, but Kiberd left due to ill health.

If anyone is wondering what he is at these days, he is filling in for Billy McCarthy on WLR. Still impossible to listen to with the same mix of faux hard man and oily ingratiation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

If anyone is wondering what he is at these days, he is filling in for Billy McCarthy on WLR. Still impossible to listen to with the same mix of faux hard man and oily ingratiation

he's still looking for his NAMA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement