Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large timber letters

• 26-10-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭

Want to get 3 letters done on wood for bedroom wall.... Checked online & price are ridiculous so thinking of getting sheet of ply & cutting out myself but how can I get letter transfer onto wood ( want letters about 20 inches of do) - any ideas???

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could copy the letters out on tracing paper then lay the paper on the plywood and tape it in place then go along your lines with a nail or something pointy and punch along them, then remove the tracing paper and join the dots on the plywood.
    DSC00436.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Thanks ... Think I can just about manage that alright .... Will get letter templates printed in print shop and go from there. Best prices I got online were €80 per letter ....

Thank you!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you could find a workshop with a large CNC router they could cut them out for you for a few quid, €80 a letter is taking the p..s :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

With most printers even A4 ones you can print out 3ft letters. One letter could be on 6 pieces of paper but you can tape them together and use fergal.b's method above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I'd be inclined to ask your local stationary shop to blow up a small letter on a commercial photocopier. It should manage 20 inches ?
    Also, unless you use something like 3/4" Baltic ply it will have a tendency to warp. MDF would be more stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've no connection with this business but it might be worth contacting them:

http://www.adverts.ie/shops/bens-signs/

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Unless you're planning on using some god-awful spirally font for these letters, ten minutes with a jig-saw and a rub of sandpaper afterwards will do the trick. To transfer the letters to the board, print each letter A4 sized, and blow them up on a photocopier to the size that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If you have to shape thickish material like 3/4" ply its better to make a template out of 6mm MDF which will sand and cut easily and then cut your main material with a bearing guided router bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I use carbon paper to transfer patterns to timber. Its old fashioned stuff but you can get it in a good Office Suppliers. Tape to the wood, put pattern on top and trace away, works good for complex stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jack of all

Fingalian wrote: »
    I use carbon paper to transfer patterns to timber. Its old fashioned stuff but you can get it in a good Office Suppliers. Tape to the wood, put pattern on top and trace away, works good for complex stuff.

I'll give you my poor man's version- works in a pinch if you don't have carbon paper on hand! Hold your pattern up against a window pane, back to front, and shade the outline of the pattern with a soft (2B or similar) pencil. Remove from the glass and you now have a carbon sheet that'll do for one use at least. I've used this method in the past to transfer lettering to signboards for subsequent hand painting.

Advertisement