Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why haven't certain Songs, Movies and Books been cancelled yet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Wait till they hear what i call my little terrorist!!

Always bombing about I bet

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

If a sports person can be cancelled for a tweet they wrote when they were a teenager

www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/06/07/ecbinvestigating-second-player-posting-racially-offensive-tweets/amp/

Why not people who wrote songs, books, movies?

I was listening to a Rod Stewart song where he references "falling in love with a slit eyed girl" and it deeply offended my ears . I think it is time for Rod Stewart and others to be called out on this

Do you agree? Are there any books, movies or songs that deeply offend you or cause you to blush the color purple ?

I suspect you’re pulling our legs :D, but talking generally, I don’t really know what to do with people telling me they find something offensive. O....kay?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

How are people reading the Telegraph when its website has the most stringent paywall that doesn't even allow you to view the main page without registering?

Archive websites

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Dukes of Hazzard. CBF on the roof of the car is causing trouble these days.
    Speedy Gonzalez has been on the 'offensive list and we won't show it' since 1999. Despite him being being a very popular character on Mexican TV. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/mar/9/cancel-speedy-gonzales-not-so-fast-latinos-say/
    Yosemite Sam and Elmer Fudd no longer have guns. https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/entertainment/looney-tunes-reboot-guns-trnd/index.html
    Zippedy-doo-dah is also on the 'play at your own risk' level.

I've just read the odd article in the Telegraph here and there, and I never noticed political bias. Do people say it's really "Tory something something" because it actually is or because that's the accepted wisdom without need for clarification? I have no doubt it was very much to the right years ago but today?

It's no Richard Littlejohn type cesspool - or even worse, the Daily Express.

Anyway, while digging up someone's tweets from nine years ago is just sh1tty and baffling behaviour, how is he cancelled? Still playing isn't he? I do agree there are these absurd campaigns to get things banned, people fired, lose their livelihood etc but why are people using the word "cancelled"? It's not even correct English!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's ridiculous to criticise books or films made 20 years ago because they are sexist, old fashioned, not totally politically correct, now we have social media, lgbtq and women's rights
    It's a different world now
    In the 80s some women had to stop working if they got married
    They are lots of films and books from 20 years ago that could not be released now as they are sexist or insult minoritys
    Many famous people male actors took advantage of women or harassed women and it was seen as normal
    or it was not spoken about before the me too
    movement started

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

NIMAN wrote: »
    Wasn't Huckleberry Finn cancelled too, due to the use of the N word?

Talking of the N word, I am truly shocked that they still allow one of my all time favourite films to be shown on TV. Blazing Saddles.

Enjoy it while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
    That's what I said
    The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
    Or, so I've read.
    My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
    I love to sink her with my pink torpedo.
    Big bottom
    Big bottom
    Talk about bum cakes
    My gal's got 'em.
    Big bottom
    Drive me out of my mind.
    How can I leave this behind?

Absolute filth!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The Jack by AC/DC ...
    Filth shur, tis manky dirty ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6njy7mZbwdc

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

calls for far-right extremist Enid Blytons books to be burned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hadron Collider

The Rolling Stones' Stray Cat Blues is about sex with a 15-year-old girl.

I can see that you're fifteen years old
    No, I don't want your ID
    And I can see that you're so far from home

But that's no hanging matter
    It's no capital crime

You say you got a friend, that she's wilder than you
    Why don't you bring her upstairs?
    If she's so wild, then she can join in too

Oh yeah, you're a strange stray cat
    Oh yeah, don't you scratch like that
    I bet you mama don't know you can bite like that
    I'll bet she never saw you scratch my back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭xabi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Rolling Stones' Stray Cat Blues is about sex with a 15-year-old girl.

I can see that you're fifteen years old
    No, I don't want your ID
    And I can see that you're so far from home

But that's no hanging matter
    It's no capital crime

You say you got a friend, that she's wilder than you
    Why don't you bring her upstairs?
    If she's so wild, then she can join in too

Oh yeah, don't you scratch like that
    I bet you mama don't know you can bite like that
    I'll bet she never saw you scratch my back

The Stones and Zeppelin weren't exactly bastions of moral integrity.

Both massively overrated bands too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

riclad wrote: »
    It's ridiculous to criticise books or films made 20 years ago because they are sexist, old fashioned, not totally politically correct, now we have social media, lgbtq and women's rights
    It's a different world now
    In the 80s some women had to stop working if they got married
    They are lots of films and books from 20 years ago that could not be released now as they are sexist or insult minoritys
    Many famous people male actors took advantage of women or harassed women and it was seen as normal
    or it was not spoken about before the me too
    movement started
    Eh... 20 years ago is 2001.

Something like this no doubt.

bc43793bf2916dd4961c5c257e0ad1ca.jpg

Well ladies, at least your cookers weren't affected by the millennium bug. Now where's my cup of tea? And why aren't you barefoot and pregnant?

Women's marriage bar in the civil service was lifted in 1973. Decriminalisation of homosexuality was in 1993. And Ireland was one of the least progressive nations in Europe and has become one of the most progressive in not much more than a generation. What books or films in 2001 were insulting minorities or sexist? Man, your perceptions of the very recent past are interesting to say the least.
    The Stones and Zeppelin weren't exactly bastions of moral integrity.
    Yep. Members of both had well dodgy "affairs" with underaged groupies. As did Dave Bowie and Marvin Gaye.
    Yosemite Sam and Elmer Fudd no longer have guns. https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/entertainment/looney-tunes-reboot-guns-trnd/index.html
    Zippedy-doo-dah is also on the 'play at your own risk' level.
    "No mention is made of whether or not that the guns being removed was a response to gun violence and school shootings in the US". Indeed, the joke being that when Yosemite Sam and Elmer Fudd were rootin tootin and shootin with guns in the 50's and 60's gun violence in the US was significantly lower and school shootings were at pretty much zero.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Rock and Roll Ni**er by Patti Smith no one ever seems to bring up. It's a great song from a great album. But it is not racist - it is a statement and not an attack. The Cancel Culture crowd ignore context.

Yet when it is overtly bigoted they leave it alone! There are loads of 'dumb white boy' lyrics in rap and I do not see the SJWs calling that out. Have you ever heard the homophobic lyrics in Jamaican Hip Hop? 'Put a Bullet in the Batty Man' - openly calling for the murder of Gays and that never gets called out either.

The Cancel Culture mob are psychotic bitter useless types who know they will leave nothing of note when they die so they seek to level the playing field by killing culture instead. If I meet someone who even hints of a Cancel Culture mindset I will not have anything to do with them and neither should anyone else. It's a mental illness and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭reniwren

COVID wrote: »
    The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
    That's what I said
    The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
    Or, so I've read.
    My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
    I love to sink her with my pink torpedo.
    Big bottom
    Big bottom
    Talk about bum cakes
    My gal's got 'em.
    Big bottom
    Drive me out of my mind.
    How can I leave this behind?

Absolute filth!

What's wrong with being sexy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Ninthlife wrote: »
    One in a Million - Guns n Roses

Caused a stir back in the day. I imagine if released nowadays peoples heads would fall off and brains melt

Was I or am I offended by it - No
    Should it or the band be cancelled...No

On the 30th anniversary edition of Appetite For Destruction (a 4CD+BD) set, One In A Million was the only track from the era that was excluded. I have fond memories of hearing buskers on Grafton Street sing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Can't believe they left One in a Million off the re-release of Appetite For Destruction. The band only made one good album and with that now removed Guns N Roses have now made no good albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Can't believe they left One in a Million off the re-release of Appetite For Destruction. The band only made one good album and with that now removed Guns N Roses have now made no good albums.

It wasn't on the original album (it actually appeared on the follow-up G N' R Lies) but for the super deluxe edition of Appetite, everything else from that era was gathered up. Very disappointing.

Patti Smith is beloved of feminists and the queer community. Rock n' Roll N*gger is about being a woman in rock at the time. Were it not for her standing, I wouldn't be surprised if the context were ignored and offence taken. I don't think Patti (one of my idols) would have time for today's feminism though. She's a no-bullsh1t person.
    Have you ever heard the homophobic lyrics in Jamaican Hip Hop? 'Put a Bullet in the Batty Man' - openly calling for the murder of Gays and that never gets called out either..
    Yeah Buju Banton was the most notorious for that. I always found the aggressive machismo and misogyny of so much hip hop vile. Great, intelligent hip-hop artists like De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest weren't as successful. Public Enemy were for a while I guess.

• Advertisement

Nothing to add to the discussion here. Oh wait, except this maybe. Nothing creepy though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

.....Are there any books, movies or songs that deeply offend you......
    Well; anything that has Morrissey or Ian Brown on vocals. But that's mainly because neither of them could hold a note in a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Nothing to add to the discussion here. Oh wait, except this maybe. Nothing creepy though. :)

Now that is creepy it was even used in an advert; fairly recently we will have had it ringing around our homes. Subliminal devilry I tells ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Lurleen wrote: »
    Patti Smith is beloved of feminists and the queer community. Rock n' Roll N*gger is about being a woman in rock at the time. Were it not for her standing, I wouldn't be surprised if the context were ignored and offence taken. I don't think Patti (one of my idols) would have time for today's feminism though. She's a no-bullsh1t person.

Yeah Buju Banton was the most notorious for that. I always found the aggressive machismo and misogyny of so much hip hop vile. Great, intelligent hip-hop artists like De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest weren't as successful. Public Enemy were for a while I guess.

I must admit I love watching the dancers in the background in Bujus video of murderer, old grey whistle test I think it was

I must admit I love watching the dancers in the background in Bujus video of murderer, old grey whistle test I think it was

Haha you want that big bazunu up in your face :P

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Haha you want that big bazunu up in your face :P

Ah no they dance with such attitude and then at the very end the one on the right seems to give the finger to the camera

Go on it was jools. Only in your mind was it whistle test!

A minor mistake, on mature recollection it was Jools, you are correct

Advertisement