Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do hospitals ask about religion???

• 03-05-2021 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Since over 10 years and since I have become an adult and do the check-in myself. Today a foreign friend said in the emergency services desk while he was checking in his child and confirming personal information they mentioned the religion. It has been many times before they ask about the religion.
    I mean all they ask is a few personal questions and RELIGION is one of them.
    What is the reason? Even in strictly conservative countries they don't ask about religion. Please someone expalin. Even if everyone receives the same service, why even ask. Why care. Why bother. Why highlight or mention it even.
    Edit: (1) even if someone belongs to certain religions, that doesn't mean they may object to blood transfusions. The hospitals have no right to block blood transfusion because they think someone is of certain religion and therefore won't accept it; The question instead should be "do you accept blood transfusions" :)
    (2) same for food. In fact when critical, most religions do allow any food or any life saving practice.
    (3) if one says Christian does that mean they won't give abortion for example? Who decides if this is a religious issue or another Christian's decision :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭2 fast

Since over 10 years and since I have become an adult and do the check-in myself. Today a foreign friend said in the emergency services desk while he was checking in his child and confirming personal information they mentioned the religion. It has been many times before they ask about the religion.
    What is the reason? Even in strictly conservative countries they don't ask about religion. Please someone expalin. Even if everyone receives the same service, why even ask. Why care. Why bother. Why highlight or mention it even.

Would it be because some religions don't allow blood transfusions etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Food?

Blood transfusions in case you're Jehova's Witness?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

If someone was to die and they were religious they would provide appropriate religious persons if possible for last rights or appropriate other.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

I think it’s in case someone is, or becomes, very seriously ill, to know what priest / pastor services or visits etc might be offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's to prevent them calling the imam instead of the rabbi in the case of your death.

The above used illustratively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John_caffrey

Sounds fair and that there might be an intention of respect to the patient. But the question about religion is weird and feels not needed and not the top priority. In fact even if someone says they are of such or such faith that doesn't mean they practice, that the hospital is going to decide about any religious arrangements etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

Edit: (1) even if someone belongs to certain religions, that doesn't mean they may object to blood transfusions. The hospitals have no right to block blood transfusion because they think someone is of certain religion and therefore won't accept it; The question instead should be "do you accept blood transfusions" :)
    (2) same for food. In fact when critical, most religions do allow any food or any life saving practice.
    (3) if one says Christian does that mean they won't give abortion for example? Who decides if this is a religious issue or another Christian's decision :D

Because there are very few hospitals in Ireland without a rep of the local bishop on the board of management. They may not have much power left day to day in the hospital but they will fight tooth and nail to keep that question on the form because they think having some lad whisper special words into your ear as soon as possible after you are dead will somehow make things better for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

To reassure patients going for minor surgery by asking them which last rites they would prefer.

touts wrote: »
    Because there are very few hospitals in Ireland without a rep of the local bishop on the board of management. They may not have much power left day to day in the hospital but they will fight tooth and nail to keep that question on the form because they think having some lad whisper special words into your ear as soon as possible after you are dead will somehow make things better for you.

:) if I was of a different religion and knew this would happen to me after death I would not be offended. If someone whispers any words in my ears because they decide to, I won't be punished by god. It those whispers are going to do something positive though to go to heaven then great, otherwise nothing to lose.

Had put Christian on my file when going in for heart surgery.
    I was still in recovery after a 14 hour op and the c of I minister came in. Said she knew I wasn't one of hers but said she'd see me during the week. She never did.

I was furious when I found out my wife had been refused. Entry to see me and this one had come in.

• Advertisement

I was still in recovery after a 14 hour op and the c of I minister came in. Said she knew I wasn't one of hers but said she'd see me during the week. She never did.

I was furious when I found out my wife had been refused. Entry to see me and this one had come in.

Hope you're well now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

A few years ago I was asked my religion in a hospital and I said "none". The nurse who was taking my details asked again and I again said none. She said " But who do we call if you are dying!"

I said "my family".

Really annoyed me. Thankfully they now seem to accept none as an answer.

Food, transfusions etc.

Witchie wrote: »
    A few years ago I was asked my religion in a hospital and I said "none". The nurse who was taking my details asked again and I again said none. She said " But who do we call if you are dying!"

I said "my family".

Really annoyed me. Thankfully they now seem to accept none as an answer.

So probably they meant about calling specific religious persons/reps? If answering none would they call the cremator? I suggest that they become more specific in questions then and have a full list about transfusion, food, cremation, religious funerals, donations...

Hope you're well now :)

I can hear my valve clicking. Once that's happening I know I'm alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Food, transfusions etc.

Nothing to do with transfusions. It’s basically all to go with last rites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Tork

Why are you pretending a foreign friend asked this question? It's obvious that English is not your native language.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

imagine there was a God! if you believed there was you really would be confused if people were acting like there wasn't.

ted1 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with transfusions. It’s basically all to go with last rites

I wasn't sure how to explain to the foreign friend though they have been long time in Ireland. But there used to be for example the normal schools, other than the Educate Together ones, asking about religion and perhaps certs of baptism. So means religious bodies had or still have power and oversight of schools. If this is the case for most public hospitals currently then that might explain it. Although in the case of hospitals there is no intention of discrimination or any 'lower quality service' but still weird and since most people entering hospitals don't die and don't want to think about death when asked the question about religion... maybe there is a different way or solution not sure.

Tork wrote: »
    Why are you pretending a foreign friend asked this question? It's obvious that English is not your native language.

Im not highly educated and said a foreign friend asked the question. Has nothing to do with my language or myself being a foreign or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Standard question on most forms in the country - has been superseded somewhat by sex/gender and added to this what sex/gender you consider yourself - all a lode of nonsense when you go into the hospital. One twitch of the gown and regardless of what you want to be or consider yourself the matter is resolved. Souls are a harder matter to judgement call. And some religions want you buried quickly (like before sunset) while others want you buried will all your body parts (which may need to be taken back from the tray) or you won’t get to wherever you’re going in the next life. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Also the Catholics won’t let you be buried in consecrated ground if you’re C of I. I think the Protestants might be more forgiving - but they’ve less pressure on space! Easier to find out in advance.

Language irrelevant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod:

This is a discussion of hospital policy in Ireland as opposed to Emergency Services. The question has been answered a number of times.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement