Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dropping Out

Options
  • 14-04-2021 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

May seem like an odd question but I’m in 1st and due to personal reasons have not managed this year well at all and know I will not successfully pass the year. I have paid my fees in full for the year (3000) am right in saying if I drop out now I would have to pay the remaining money already paid by HEA? Should I just continue, sit exams? Are there any consequences, financially to failing the exams. I have no intention of repeating the year, I want to change direction entirely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I can't answer about costs.

Can I suggest you sit down and write down why you want to drop out. The positives, the negatives, the consequences. This could be a few paragraphs or a bullet point list. Discuss this with someone you trust - a friend, sibling, parent, etc. Then raise it with a lecturer that you have a good relationship with and then your course / department head.
    canihave wrote: »
    I have no intention of repeating the year, I want to change direction entirely.
    Passing (at whatever level) your exams this year will likely help you get in whatever direction you want to go, even if that is working something menial.

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

If you try to re enter within 4 years you will be liable not only for the “contribution” (€3000) but full tuition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Would that be the case if I wanted to do an apprenticeship , not sure what the college fees are with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭e.r

Would that be the case if I wanted to do an apprenticeship , not sure what the college fees are with that.

99% of employers pay for college associated with apprenticeships. Also you get paid your rate, when in college for said apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

May seem like an odd question but I’m in 1st and due to personal reasons have not managed this year well at all and know I will not successfully pass the year. I have paid my fees in full for the year (3000) am right in saying if I drop out now I would have to pay the remaining money already paid by HEA? Should I just continue, sit exams? Are there any consequences, financially to failing the exams. I have no intention of repeating the year, I want to change direction entirely.

Yes you will be liable for any fees reminaing for this academic year - not sure what you mean by paid by the HEA. If you do intend on returning to college having completed one year already (whether you passed or not) would have a financial implication if you return to first year of third level.

Could you use what you study now to gain entry into year 2 of a programme you are interested in - you would probably need to have completed the year.

Make use of all the resources of the college before you make your decision - careers/counselling etc. All services are still available to use. Depending on your personal reasons and if you feel you can discuss them this may help your financial situation but again you should discuss that with your college.

• Advertisement

Nope - student contribution doesnt apply to apprenticeship. There is a tuition fee but as pointed out some employers pay for same. Apologies I cant remember how much it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes you will be liable for any fees reminaing for this academic year - not sure what you mean by paid by the HEA. If you do intend on returning to college having completed one year already (whether you passed or not) would have a financial implication if you return to first year of third level.

Could you use what you study now to gain entry into year 2 of a programme you are interested in - you would probably need to have completed the year.

Make use of all the resources of the college before you make your decision - careers/counselling etc. All services are still available to use. Depending on your personal reasons and if you feel you can discuss them this may help your financial situation but again you should discuss that with your college.

He / she should definitely talk to the careers people at TU Dublin before actually making a decision to drop out. This would be one of their specialities - dealing with students who are struggling badly and thinking of quitting their course. They see this all of the time and there's nothing unusual in it. Many first years struggle every year and feel totally overwhelmed.

Strazdas wrote: »
    He / she should definitely talk to the careers people at TU Dublin before actually making a decision to drop out. This would be one of their specialities - dealing with students who are struggling badly and thinking of quitting their course. They see this all of the time and there's nothing unusual in it. Many first years struggle every year and feel totally overwhelmed.

Absolutely they are great- TU Dublin runs apprenticeships aswell so get in contact with that them too.

Changing your mind at the end of first year is totally normal.

Advertisement