Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COMMENTS THREAD FOR RANDOM PHOTOS LVI

Options
  • 11-03-2021 5:39pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

PLEASE PLACE ALL COMMENTS REGARDING PHOTOS POSTED ON RANDOM PHOTOS 56 IN THIS THREAD.

THANKS.
    Post edited by CabanSail on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Great Work Myksyk!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

51136317729_492342a0ba_b.jpg

Gregor Samsa ... great capture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Myksyk wrote: »
    Gregor Samsa ... great capture.

Thanks! It was taken at a Crab Apple tree in my back garden that was in full bloom and covered in bees. I had been trying (unsuccessfully) to get them with a 90mm macro, but they were moving too much and too fast. So I fell back to the 70-400 (Sony A mount on an E-mount A7iii) and a load of cropping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117415407&postcount=166

i hope that hog was alright - usually it's not a good sign if they're out and about in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

He seemed perfectly content wandering in and out of the hedgerows. He was under a bird feeder taken advantage of the fallen peanuts when I first saw him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

51258110912_5f807fa374_c.jpgHappy Fathers Day by washburn2157, on Flickr

That's weird. Usually it's the snow that's on top of the mountains, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The folks who take photos on the dodder, is there a particular place or time of day that's good for bird photos? Thinking of taking my young fella out and seeing what we can see around there.

Well guys ... all new platform and your guess is as good as mine about how how it will work and what changes it has automatically made to our forum. Photos seem to be posted now in a smaller format .. can others confirm this? Also, how have people found posting bbcodes from Flickr, doesn't seem to be working for me although it does look like you can upload directly from your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Yeah the images are smaller alright and you cant' see the like on the photos(well I can't)

Yeah, images are being resized pretty small on the desktop site. The mobile site seems to be ok, and if you put your phone in portrait orientation, you’ll see embedded photos good and large.

I was on my 27” monitor earlier, and threads display as a thin strip in the centre 1/3 of the screen, which is a total waste of screen space. Hopefully they’ll sort it out.

I couldn’t get Flickr to embed at all. Neither BBcode nor HTML worked. At least uploading an image is easier now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

It would be nice if there was some guidance posted on how we can post images - whether to upload from PC's (what resolution etc.). Also, when we upload images there is no access to EXIF data, unlike when we linked to Flickr or 500px before, where others could see the settings, if made public, and maybe benefit from that information.

My initial reaction - bring back the old site. Of course, that will change, but only if we get the appropriate information on how to use the new site to its best potential.

It may be posted elsewhere, but I am too lazy to look!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Image embedding test:

Well, that was easy! Bog standard URL copied from image hosting site, and pasted into the comment box using the MEDIA button, not IMAGE

Looks like it needs a proper (image) file extension to work, though. Won't display google images, and there doesn't seem to be any way to link the image to a corresponding third party site.

And I see that it comes with that damned white space above the image ... :rolleyes:

I wonder does the size of the images matter now, since Vanilla seems to be resizing them for both desktop and mobile anyway?

Heres a non-resized jpeg from my 24mp camera, uploaded directly:

Looks like the width might be constrained but the most recent shot on Random Thread seems to have no constraint on length.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Is there a way to get the images on the Random any larger than mine appear?( like postage stamps). I'm uploading direct from computer - before I used to upload via BBCode from Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Dunno, I just posted 2 shots into the random photo thread, one linked from flickr, the second one uploaded directly. The first one is grand, fills the post content, and if you click on it it'll expand to the linked content size. Second one is postage stamp sized (or maybe small postcard sized :-D ). It's possible the upload just limits the size dramatically regardless of what you upload, but it does seem pretty arbitrary. Best thing seems to be to use the 'insert image' button and use the direct URL of the image i.e. given the BBCode like this of a flickr image:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mfFJTe][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51362012475_01090e5b72_b.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2mfFJTe]Marlay[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/dairequinlan/]Daire Quinlan[/url], on Flickr

the image url is that link https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51362012475_01090e5b72_b.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could try and display the picture in a new tab, then take a screen snip/screenshot of it and post that instead.

I'm ... not sure that would be useful. I guess the problem is that high res images are being uploaded and the forum software is resizing them to small images. On other forums you upload and it'll store a medium image for use on the post, and a larger image for when you click into it. It's possible that we might have to ask for the photography forum to be treated differently in terms of upload de-res and in-post display of images.

Sadly, I don't think that the photo forum will be treated differently from others in terms of display size of images

Post edited by keps on

Daire - I think that Hellfire photo might look even better in B&W but knowing you - you've probably looked at all options

• Advertisement

Sat down to start catching up on POTWs but I'm unable to see the 'thanks' for all posts. Some show thanks and others show none but when I thank it myself I can see a number of people already have done so. Are other people experiencing this? There used to be a 'log' button which is no longer there?? Also some posts show -1 thanks?

The 'thanks' system is no longer fit for use as far as I can see! Just as an example after your last POTW - I responded and my response got 4 'thanks'. However this now shows as one 'thanks' unless you click on the thanks icon- in whih case the names of the 4 'thankers' appear. Some upgrades are retrograde!

Post edited by keps on

Yeah it probably would look good now that you mention it, it has that hazy washed out thing going on already that would play well with a B&W conversion. I generally don't though. I rarely shoot B&W and when I do I tend to shoot different stuff than when I'm shooting colour.

I've been in contact with Arts Mods and they have recently changed the maximum size of photos to 900x900 and are agreeable to change that size up again to 1024 for our forum.

They acknowledge the 'thanks' system wasn't working as expected but seems to be ok now. I will probably have to just restart POTW from more recently and skip the few that coincided with the site change ... I'll see what I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

New size updated I think. 1084 x 1084 but that may have been a typo?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Dartz

Following on from: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118092759/#Comment_118092759

I've had a similar sort of experience with Google's Pixels. They make a lot of things a lot easier when you don't want to think about them or when you don't understand what's going on inside the box and just want it to look like what you see. The Pixel's Night Mode doesn't really work where there's a lot of dynamism where stuff's moving because (I think) it's a stack of exposures or a highly stabilised long exposure. But it lowers the barrier for entry for stuff like that.

On the other hand, it still struggles with stuff like having the moon in the same shot and it never really seems to do exactly what I want or expect. It doesn't let things go to dark when you want them to go dark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

here's a without & with night sight, taken on a pixel 3, from a month or two ago:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Hi guys,

I just noticed that the majority of photos posted in this thread over the last couple of weeks are from me. I have been careful to not post more than one photo a day, but was embarrassed when I realised how many were mine. Am I posting too many or has everybody just moved to other platforms? I don't want to be "that annoying person" but .......

Speaking for myself, I love them. I don't mind who posts them.

• Advertisement

Keep it up. Place is dead enough already without people voluntarily cutting back their posting.

Advertisement