Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escape from Tarkov

• 11-02-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.pcgamer.com/escape-from-tarkov-is-a-hardcore-mmo-with-shades-of-stalker/

Anyone pre ordered this?
    Escape From Tarkov is a "hardcore story-driven MMO" that takes place in the Russian city of Tarkov, which for some reason has been sealed off by the authorities and is now a ruined battleground overrun by private military companies and local raiders. It combines elements of shooters and RPGS, and also, as you can see in this "looting and inventory" trailer, looks an awful lot like STALKER.
    The video isn't the most action-packed showcase ever, but it's meant to demonstrate some of the less two-fisted aspects of the game, like inventory management, weapon modification, and interaction with the environment. If gunfire is more your thing, an "Action Gameplay" video released last month (and embedded below) has plenty of that. Both are taken from pre-alpha builds of the game, but even so they look pretty good.
    The Escape From Tarkov website doesn't have much more to say about it at this point, but a closed beta is planned to start sometime in 2016. If you'd like to give it a shot, you can put your name in the hat at escapefromtarkov.com.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

been following this aswell, looks really good, will most likely be preordering but have my name in for the beta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Anyone in the alpha? Looks really well polished already, but not sure what the plan is or where they are taking it, seems pretty easy to get geared up from the videos and streams out there, interested if anyone is playing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Young lad is on the alpha and not impressed, levels are not as big as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

This game has been around awhile,my worry is they dont seem to have done much with it in that time. Id fear it could end up being a perpetual alpha game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I've been playing the Alpha since August, but I can't say much due to a NDA alpha testers signed, some high profile youtubers and streamers had their NDA lifted so you can see raw gameplay from them.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Young lad is on the alpha and not impressed, levels are not as big as expected.

This is one of the disappointments from many interested people, they were expecting a massive open world type of game, but the information about this has been around for a long time (check their FAQ on the official site). But how the game will work is there are 10 raids that need to be completed in sequence, once you complete all 10 raids then the open world will be unlocked which is essentially all 10 raids connected, the overall map size is 16km² (about same size as Rust legacy map). The raids will be the bread and butter of the game, they will contain side quests, hidden areas and multiple ways to complete them etc (e.g you might find a key/keycard in a later raid that will open a door in one of the previous raids)
    cadete wrote: »
    Anyone in the alpha? Looks really well polished already, but not sure what the plan is or where they are taking it, seems pretty easy to get geared up from the videos and streams out there, interested if anyone is playing

The streamers/youtubers were given press accounts that had a whole bunch of money and weapons to show off, it will be alot harder to acquire gear ingame.

There's certain questions I could probably answer but nothing directly related to the Alpha itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I watched Frankies video on it and I loved it. Though visually it looked a bit bad. I wonder if it was just me.

I signed up for Alpha, but never got it. :(

I watched Frankies video on it and I loved it. Though visually it looked a bit bad. I wonder if it was just me.

I signed up for Alpha, but never got it. :(

You could never sign up for the Alpha (could only get access via preorder), you likely signed up for the closed Beta, which should be Q1 at some point.

There's still work that needs to be done on the graphical side, they haven't implemented anti-aliasing yet and probably why it looks a little off.

EoinHef wrote: »
    This game has been around awhile,my worry is they dont seem to have done much with it in that time. Id fear it could end up being a perpetual alpha game

Game has been in development since 2012 but the Closed Beta is Q1 this year with a 2017 full release.

cadete wrote: »
    what the plan is or where they are taking it

Kinda skimed over this last time but basically the game is focused as being a Story Driven hardcore MMO FPS. Basically the game has a story, which will be unraveled when you do raids until you eventually escape Tarkov. There will be replayability in the raids since as mentioned before, you can revisit raids with new keys/keycards and explore new areas and find new secrets etc. There hasn't been any proper details yet on how the open world aspect will work. There will be an arena mode for pure PvP.

Eventually there will be new DLC which will likely be more raid locations.

Primarily however the main attraction of the game is the PvP, realistic weapon handling & customisation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any concrete release date? It has a single does it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Watched quite a few hours of this on twitch tv the last few days and it really looks fantastic.
    Anyone playing it at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Very tempted to try the beta, does look very good

Some streamers are giving away 7 day trial codes, i managed to nab one lastnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Bit the bullet and bought the standard edition. Been keeping an eye on this for some time so I’m not too fussed splashing out. 25% of all editions just now for anyone who’s looking at this game.

Played one game so far, very intense gaming. Sound is everything!

Played the 7 day trial and loved it, felt like PUBG and the Division had a baby with Stalker.
    I would buy it straight away but 2 maps from the 4 available were unplayable for me performance was that bad, if and when they address this i will buy straight away, never played a game with this much tension before.
    I thought PUBG was tense until i played this :)
    My games library is full of realism shooters,arma,red orchestra,rising storm,insurgency,day of infamy to name a few so i love how brutal this game can be.

Fix the performance and im allover it as my go to game, also it needs better starting gear for new players or maybe a very basic set of gear that one can never lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What specs are you playing on?

The kid has 7600K /1080 /SSD and it runs fine in 2K.

It is starting to look like a decent game now.

i5 2500K 4.3ghz gtx 970 , first game i cant run at 1440 with decent settings.
    Yeah i know my rig needs updating for 1440 thats coming soon.
    The two maps im struggling with are the ones most people have issues on ie customs and shoreline, factory and woods are fine.

Game is fanstastic, no coincidence its in the top 10-15 on twitch the last while, word is getting out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Bought this last night, had some issues with server host, not able to sign in, join maps, customize weapons /character etc, but re-launching the game seemed to fix it. Played Factory map and couldn't exit, ended up killing myself to get out of the level. Played multiplayer Shore map, killed a player but had an emergency at home, so got killed myself then went to bed. A lot of lag, graphics were woeful(may need to tweek video gettings), limited game to run 60hz max.

Game has been Alpha/Beta for a while, hoping it doesn't stay that way. Expensive at €45 for basic package.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

I've had this game since early last year, it's come a really long way since then.

The graphics are amazing, not woeful. Optimization isn't great but improving all the time. You'll need lots of RAM, GTX 1070 or better, decent CPU.

The game recently went through a stress test, that's why it's been laggy and lots of server-side issues. Having said that it still has issues at peak times, but it is getting slightly better but slowly. That's the biggest issue so far, they've promised to expand their server infrastructure.

Dispite those issues, it's easily the most hardcore and realistic FPS I've ever played. It's aiming to be something of a mix of ARMA, DAYZ and PUBG with a STALKER aesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Just bought this, really looking forward to playing

but posted for a quick tip to get around the added 23% VAT, download Opera browser and enable the built in VPN and choose Asian server

Then just buy the game, got the basic package for €35 instead of €44

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Been playing it since before Christmas, It's good. But the server lag and net code sucks. I've been getting some deaths that are nothing short of frustrating. But the idea for the game is awesome and I really enjoy it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I can predict it becoming a money sinkhole.

Play to collect a few bits. Die and lose everything you're carrying...

I predict that the majority of players are going to devolve to being naked with pistols over time as they won't be able to loot enough to replace their losses.

CruelCoin wrote: »

I predict that the majority of players are going to devolve to being naked with pistols over time as they won't be able to loot enough to replace their losses.

I think you need to approach it differently

You can insure your gear.

you get your gear back. If no one steals it.

Gun can be bought by trading items you pick up its really no that bad tbh

I',m also a casual player with 1.5 million

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

CruelCoin wrote: »

It's not that hard to get gear. People who are bad at this game will struggle, but it is a hardcore shooter after all.

Right now some people run around with a knife/hatchet, but eventually you'll get punished for dying or getting injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

the 0.9 patch is out and man it is so good. How is everyone else finding it?

• Can't bring myself to support that payment model

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

Can't bring myself to support that payment model

what?

• what?

The tiered payment model where you have an advantage if you pay more

https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/preorder-page

The tiered payment model where you have an advantage if you pay more

https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/preorder-page

It's not much of advantage and I have the top tier.

its a great concept as a game, its just a shame the lag is god awful, and the bugs within the game are just appalling. And really ruin the game.

In terms of the way the game plays its great theoretically, I think the biggest issues is the engine they're using and the servers.

I can't even play at the moment because its hack detection soft wear is so dumb, I can't even figure out whats causing it to detect a "hack" which obviously I don't do.

• Advertisement

• I just bought it after all my criticism :pac:

Its hard.

I've been dropping in with only a pistol to get the hang of it and until I run out of pistols. Got a few kills on Factory but anywhere else is too tough.

I thought my train was coming on this one

Advertisement