Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Composite or steel/metal front door?

• 22-11-2020 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I've read a lot of threads discussing wood vs. composite vs. upvc, but haven't seen much discussion on composite vs steel/metal front doors.

From what I gather - steel doors seem cheaper that the palladio doors that people tend to recommend - and I'm wondering what the benefits are for each.

Re security - I can't imagine that the composite is more secure than the metal one - and if you opt for windows with either them - then that becomes the weakest spot anyways.

Insulation wise - I can see the composite doors being better there.

Any other differences? Are the install costs much different or does the weather in Ireland influence this decision much?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭geo88

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't found any other information on this over the past few weeks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can you post what a steel front door looks like?
    I’ve never seen one. It’s either PVC, Timber or Composite that’s I’ve spec’d in the past.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Gumbo
    Most of the External doors I spec are Galvanneale steel Polyester powder coated.

BryanF wrote: »
    Gumbo
    Most of the External doors I spec are Galvanneale steel Polyester powder coated.

I might just use “entrance door to clients specifications” in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭geo88

@BryanF - as you're familiar with these - I'm curious, what would you get for yourself between a Palladio and a steel door and why?
    Gumbo wrote: »
    Can you post what a steel front door looks like?
    I’ve never seen one. It’s either PVC, Timber or Composite that’s I’ve spec’d in the past.

Sure, here's one: 6-Panel-Security-Front-Door-1536x1536.jpg

• Advertisement

geo88 wrote: »
    @BryanF - as you're familiar with these - I'm curious, what would you get for yourself between a Palladio and a steel door and why?

Sure, here's one: 6-Panel-Security-Front-Door-1536x1536.jpg

Can you link the supplier/manufacturer please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Is a steel door at risk of rusting asunder the galvanised coating gets scrept or chipped? Could rot from the inside out.

I doub't they'd be much use to keep an intruder out. If they want to get in, they'll get in, if they can't kick the door open in one go they'll just go in a window.

Advertisement