Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Basic crush headgate

• 20-11-2020 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all. we're hoping to apply for a herd number and had a guy from the dep't here yesterday giving us some advice, regarding the cattle crush, which was no problem. However we need to get a head gate, but due to the amount of land and the quality of the land that we have made our minds up on Dexter's. We will eventually, only be having one heifer with calf, which we're growing for meat for ourselves and will be running with the sheep, so the headgate only needs to be a basic one. We're near Charleville, in Co Cork, Does anyone know where the best place to get one from or does anyone have any second hand ones? I have looked on Done deal, but not much apart from the all singing all dancing head gates which are far too expensive for what we want? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tancoman

Get local lad with a welder to make up a practical one with 50mm heavy wall box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

Put a wanted ad up on donedeal. Im sure plenty of lads have one thrown in the corner of a yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Dairygold surely have them for sale or any general merchant does them did u check out the auction I told u about in the other 2 threads you have started

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Holly Tree Farm

tancoman wrote: »
    Get local lad with a welder to make up a practical one with 50mm heavy wall box

Thanks, we do know a welder but unfortunately he doesn't have any welding gear at the moment!!

lab man wrote: »
    Dairygold surely have them for sale or any general merchant does them did u check out the auction I told u about in the other 2 threads you have started

After I posted the original msg, I phoned a fabricator in Rathkeale, so I now have a price for a new one, I haven't had chance yet to go down to the agri store, but need feed tomorrow, so on my to do list!! Yep had a look at the auction was a long day in between the two head gates. Both went for similar money, 165 & 170 euro, but factoring in time and diesel were too expensive for what we need. Thanks for the heads up!!

• Advertisement

jimini0 wrote: »
    Put a wanted ad up on donedeal. Im sure plenty of lads have one thrown in the corner of a yard.

I've had a private message from someone who has one, as hes got a new crush, so waiting for a reply back from them? fingers crossed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tancoman

Something like this should do the trick.

That would be perfect, just need to find one lol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

Don't suppose you know what company made that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

That would be perfect, just need to find one lol:)

I bought one similar to that recently. Brand new, was €300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Any engineering firm or metal fabricator would make you one of them. 100 euro tips for it. It really only swiveling on a few bolts. Not really suitable for heavy or wild cattle. I have seen cattle rock them open when agitated.

Slava Ukrainii

Any engineering firm or metal fabricator would make you one of them. 100 euro tips for it. It really only swiveling on a few bolts. Not really suitable for heavy or wild cattle. I have seen cattle rock them open when agitated.

We are only looking at getting a couple of Dexters, so I think it would be ok for our needs ?

Advertisement