Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas present ideas for farmers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Also saw this on Amazon. Delivery might be a bit expensive all the same

Nothing says you love someone like a nice bit of turf ...
    Hand Cut in Ireland and Packed in a Traditional Hessian Turf Sack. Authentic Irish fire Experience with a Unique Aroma.

https://i.imgflip.com/4ngod0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

An outside Manager for both Cork Hurling and Football regime's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

gozunda wrote: »
    Also saw this on Amazon. Delivery might be a bit expensive all the same

Nothing says you love someone like a nice bit of turf ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Traditional-Irish-Turf-Ireland-Authentic/dp/B0758FC17P

I sent one to Oz a few years ago, sure I thought it would be great to have on the xmas day bbq. Poor girl was nearly arrested over it.:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

blue5000 wrote: »
    +1 on the Silky saw, I bought just the Ibuku blade (I didn't believe all the hype and didn't want to spend €70) and stuck my own handle on it. They're amazing. Hear of a few people breaking them because they put too much pressure on the push stroke. The Silky pole for high pruning would be on my wish list.

Would such a saw be available for cutting overhanging Ash boughs? Something with a telescopic handle 3 or 4m long.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭westlander

Usually at this time of year we get ppl asking what should I get a farmer for Christmas. But for a change what would you as a farmer want to get for Christmas.
    Now don't all look for a dry week or 10 days on the 20th of January. Shopping is mostly going to be online this year, so starting this now so that the courier gets here in time. Lets hear it....

A new welder to replace the Aldi yolk 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I dunno if any of ye find it hard to switch off when you're trying to sleep but I bought my Dad a soundbox some years back. Plays a few different nature sounds (waves, river, nighttime crickets etc) and he swears by it to help him drop off to sleep.
    Seems to be the only stand out present I got for him tbh, everything else has faded into obscurity :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Would such a saw be available for cutting overhanging Ash boughs? Something with a telescopic handle 3 or 4m long.

Not cheap though https://irishforestryproducts.ie/product/silky-hayauchi-6-3m-21ft-pole-saw-3-extension-xl-teethpruning-saw-179-39/

There are shorter versions available too, try douglas forest and garden too
    https://www.douglasforestandgarden.ie/product/silky-hayauchi-telescopic-pole/

The Bahco one is good value, put your own broomstick size wooden handle into the hole in the saw handle, then screw it in. I've had two of these
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bahco-BAH3396T-339-6T-Hand-Pole-Pruning-Saw/352223224635

It's not great but I use an aluminium telescopic pole off a brush for washing trucks as my handle, but that's more guntering than Christmas present standard:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not cheap though https://irishforestryproducts.ie/product/silky-hayauchi-6-3m-21ft-pole-saw-3-extension-xl-teethpruning-saw-179-39/

There are shorter versions available too, try douglas forest and garden too
    https://www.douglasforestandgarden.ie/product/silky-hayauchi-telescopic-pole/

The Bahco one is good value, put your own broomstick size wooden handle into the hole in the saw handle, then screw it in. I've had two of these
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bahco-BAH3396T-339-6T-Hand-Pole-Pruning-Saw/352223224635

It's not great but I use an aluminium telescopic pole off a brush for washing trucks as my handle, but that's more guntering than Christmas present standard:o

The bahco one is ideal, I could gunter the handle this time as its for myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I dunno if any of ye find it hard to switch off when you're trying to sleep but I bought my Dad a soundbox some years back. Plays a few different nature sounds (waves, river, nighttime crickets etc) and he swears by it to help him drop off to sleep.
    Seems to be the only stand out present I got for him tbh, everything else has faded into obscurity :D

I hope they don't keep your mother awake instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I usually get some tools for my work shop,Looking for a cordless circular saw, Dewalt if possible so many to choose from and most of them come as a bare unit and have to buy battery separately. Any recomendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

kerryjack wrote: »
    I usually get some tools for my work shop,Looking for a cordless circular saw, Dewalt if possible so many to choose from and most of them come as a bare unit and have to buy battery separately. Any recomendations.

I got a DCS391n over the summer, it’s slightly smaller than a normal one but I think it’s grand. Not too bulky and light enough. Good blade came with it too, I’ll probably replace it with a good Freud blade though.
    €130 as a bare unit off screwfix.

Looks a decent one, is there a different battery for CS than a drill it would be handy if I could use my drill batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Looks a decent one, is there a different battery for CS than a drill it would be handy if I could use my drill batteries.

What model dewalt drill have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You mightn't get it in time for Christmas, but this guy makes some lovely looking stuff.
    Young lad blacksmithing artisan knives.

https://t.co/scVTuyShAG?amp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I want a good set of bluetooth headphones and wet gear.

I treated myself to some new LED lights for a shed and an air frier :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

davidk1394 wrote: »

I treated myself to some new LED lights for a shed and an air frier :D

How do you find the Air Frier David ? I was thinking of getting one for chips but I got one friend who said it's the bees knees and another that said it's not great... I don't know who to believe !

NcdJd wrote: »
    How do you find the Air Frier David ? I was thinking of getting one for chips but I got one friend who said it's the bees knees and another that said it's not great... I don't know who to believe !

It is the bees knees to me for bacon sausage. Nuggets. Chips. Any of them things. Its so handy. I've no one to make me food so I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I got one on a black Friday deal last year. Use it a few times a week for chips or roast potatoes.

I only bought it today for a house I'm renting. It's around €35 in Lidl

whelan2 wrote: »
    I got one on a black Friday deal last year. Use it a few times a week for chips or roast potatoes.

What make is yours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

JB1989 & Whelan2 thank you. Ye have made up my mind. On the Christmas list as I miss proper homemade chips big time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Jb1989 wrote: »
    What make is yours?

Tower. It was under 40 pounds afair

Bought this pair couple of years ago. Been brilliant, used when strimming and powerwashing. Has caller announcing and one button call answering. Only fell out of my ear once.

Find it hard to get good wet gear, best one I have so far is an oneills (gaa) waterproof bottoms. Struggle between staying dry and not sweating.

timple23 wrote: »
    What model dewalt drill have you?

It's a DC725 type 10 18 volt

It's a DC725 type 10 18 volt

No that uses the older type battery platform. You would have to buy a saw from that area.

timple23 wrote: »
    Bought this pair couple of years ago. Been brilliant, used when strimming and powerwashing. Has caller announcing and one button call answering. Only fell out of my ear once.

Find it hard to get good wet gear, best one I have so far is an oneills (gaa) waterproof bottoms. Struggle between staying dry and not sweating.

I had 2 sets of bluetooth headphones already. I broke one set in a milking parlor. I stood on them. The other set were Boose and cost the girlfriend nearly €200, I was running across the field after a sheep (don't ask) and it fell out of my ear, hit my heel and went up into the air, no way could I find it.

I had 2 sets of bluetooth headphones already. I broke one set in a milking parlor. I stood on them. The other set were Boose and cost the girlfriend nearly €200, I was running across the field after a sheep (don't ask) and it fell out of my ear, hit my heel and went up into the air, no way could I find it.

The ends of them are magnetic and clip together, or put a crocodile clip through them and attach to jumper.

Did you try playing music full blast to find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I'm getting a chainsaw, not going to lie haven't been this excited about a present in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I asked for a new pair of work boots and specified the snickers type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I asked for a new pair of work boots and specified the snickers type.

What do you need work boots for?

Advertisement