Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Smoker Build?

• 03-11-2020 9:54am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone build a "wooden" cold smoker?

I've bought a Pro Q cold smoker and smoking wood "dust" and even though I can smoke in any of three Weber BBQ's I'd like to make a simple wooden smoker.
    Can I pop up to a hardware store and buy a few planks of wood and go for it? Pine?
    I know the structure will have to be (smoke) seasoned first etc etc. That's OK.

Going to do my own Smoked salmon and cheeses for Christmas.....along with smoked bacun :pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chefy

Planet X wrote: »
    Anyone build a "wooden" cold smoker?

I've bought a Pro Q cold smoker and smoking wood "dust" and even though I can smoke in any of three Weber BBQ's I'd like to make a simple wooden smoker.
    Can I pop up to a hardware store and buy a few planks of wood and go for it? Pine?
    I know the structure will have to be (smoke) seasoned first etc etc. That's OK.

Going to do my own Smoked salmon and cheeses for Christmas.....along with smoked bacun :pac::pac:

Avoid soft woods, especially pine. It releases resins. Apple, alder. Oak, hickory etc are fine.

If you live near a fishmonger that smokes their own salmon e.g. Wright's of Marino they will usually sell or even give some to you.

Remember to keep the smoke temperature low for cheese and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chefy

chefy wrote: »
    Avoid soft woods, especially pine. It releases resins. Apple, alder. Oak, hickory etc are fine.

If you live near a fishmonger that smokes their own salmon e.g. Wright's of Marino they will usually sell or even give some to you.

Remember to keep the smoke temperature low for cheese and butter.

I've made smokers over the years using old fridges and even an old wardrobe. To keep the smoke temp down I ran the smoke through an air duct vent that was submerged in running water.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

:pac:

So, after a bit of research, just used a Weber.
    Test run last week.

It came out really well. Smokey and moist/oily.

dQUlOiKl.jpg

jX1ZUAYl.jpg

Advertisement