Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WFH Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Aldi have some very timely offers in store tomorrow - https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/155401/14/

The slam ball and weighted bag look like very good value

Thanks Patsy167. Weighted bag for me please. :)

Here we go again though. Sigh.

I recently got into Sydney Cummings youtube workouts. She's a former track athlete from the US but is NOT annoying give or take a wee bit of US razzmatazz. She really knows what she's doing and the instruction level and pacing is really good for beginner/intermediate through experienced level I think. I've trained a bit of everything over the years and think she's great - now it won't push the more experienced, but it's good and moves along quickly without her faffing around at all.
    She breaks her daily workouts 7 different dumbbell based sets: generally two days upper body push/pull, two lower body and two HIIT/Cardio and stretch rest day.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Anyone knowif they came in .

Was in a local store in mayo and staff said they didn’t come in but yet they had posters apologising for items that didn’t come in .
    Strange how posters could be printed of the items so quickly. Also heard they were not being let out on shop floors .

Did anyone else get them in their store .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭obi604

Now with gyms closed, looking to buy a few things.
    Which of these would be best

1. A door frame pull up bar
    2. Tall parallette bars

The tall parallette bars seem to be fairly versatile. Can do back, dips, biceps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Cill94

obi604 wrote: »

2. Tall parallette bars

The tall parallette bars seem to be fairly versatile. Can do back, dips, biceps etc.

I think I'd go for the pull-up bar actually. Here's why.

Most people can find a way to do paralette exercises by using household furniture. Dips can be done between 2 chairs, and rows can be done from under a table (depending on how solid it is). You can also easily make push-ups more challenging with no equipment.

Pull-ups on the other hand are usually much harder to do safely with furniture, and are a really great strengthening exercise to invest in.

I guess it really comes down to what you are already able to do at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

2. Tall parallette bars

Pull up bar all the way, you can find things to do dips etc on (though I hate doing that). Even ahead of squat rack etc. the pull up bar is my favourite bit of kit.

Pull up bar all the way, you can find things to do dips etc on (though I hate doing that). Even ahead of squat rack etc. the pull up bar is my favourite bit of kit.

Interesting. I thought people may have said go with the tall parallettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

gotta admit i've no motivation or interest

it hasn't happened since gym closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I found last time that I faff about more than I should. I don't know why. That just made the training last longer than it should and the longer it went on, the harder I found it to be upstairs working all day and then go train in a spare room and be in all day.

So what I might do instead of doing a workout every 2/3 days, break them in 2 and so 30-40 mins 5/6 evenings. The shorter spells will make it easier to do/less easy to skip, mentally,

paw patrol wrote: »
    gotta admit i've no motivation or interest

it hasn't happened since gym closed.

I hear you...only just got back into it. Largely because I knew I'd feel worse not doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Aldi got their curly barbells in this morning. Sorry, for the late notice.

j@utis wrote: »
    Aldi got their curly barbells in this morning. Sorry, for the late notice.

Ah ha. Did you notice the door frame pull up in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Hi all,

Could anyone recommend a doorway pull-up bar please?

I have a couple of concerns:

1) I’m 6 foot 3 and my doorways aren’t very tall. Is it possible for anyone of any size to just bend knees/raise legs and get the work done or does there become a point where someone is simply too tall for the doorway?

2) I am petrified of damaging the doorway (rented accommodation) during installation or during workout using one of these pull-up bars. Are my concerns legitimate or are they designed in such a way to avoid this?

Thank you! :)

Ah ha. Did you notice the door frame pull up in stock?
    Nope, just the barbells and 3/5kg dumbbells.

BrentMused wrote: »
    Hi all,

1) I’m 6 foot 3 and my doorways aren’t very tall. Is it possible for anyone of any size to just bend knees/raise legs and get the work done or does there become a point where someone is simply too tall for the doorway?

2) I am petrified of damaging the doorway (rented accommodation) during installation or during workout using one of these pull-up bars. Are my concerns legitimate or are they designed in such a way to avoid this?

Pull-up bar that goes into the frame, split my door frame at the top corners. I don't know about the one that attaches above.

BrentMused wrote: »
    Hi all,

not helping you with my reply, but I have these concerns too, always feel like these things could damage the door frame or just break it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Patsy167

not helping you with my reply, but I have these concerns too, always feel like these things could damage the door frame or just break it.

I would make sure it is the doorway of a solid wall.

Go for this type - https://www.mcsport.ie/products/fitness-mad-universal-training-bar-fpullup?cmp_id=732425403&adg_id=114225645032&kwd=&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpY6MvveJ7gIVke3tCh0mpQV2EAQYAyABEgIR4fD_BwE

This one will destroy a doorway - https://www.mcsport.ie/products/hit-fitness-multi-function-chin-up-bar?cmp_id=732425403&adg_id=114225645032&kwd=&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpY6MvveJ7gIVke3tCh0mpQV2EAQYASABEgLVOPD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

j@utis wrote: »
    Pull-up bar that goes into the frame, split my door frame at the top corners. I don't know about the one that attaches above.

The ones you just stay in place by spreading into the frame?
    Yeah they can push the frame apart, basically wedging it apart. For inside the frame, the kind with fixings is better.

With the over door frame type. They basically lever into the wall. They are unlikely to damage a door frame. I think people mean architrave, which could be dented by the bar. But it’s superficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I have the first one in the MCSport links above attached to a door in a partition wall. No damage to the wall or doorframe and I'm about 85KG.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭redzerredzer

How a pull up mate? Twice the price but won’t damage anything and can be folded up and stored in a bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

These behemoths arrived today.

I'm sure I'll use them.

I'll definitely use them.

At worst, luxury high-end door stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I had picked up a 12kg medicine ball soft type last week, so far have used it for weighted crunches but also bringing it to the park to do various throws, icy and wet grass doesnt help but its fun nonetheless, 12kg might not sound like much but its draining enough

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I had picked up a 12kg medicine ball soft type last week, so far have used it for weighted crunches but also bringing it to the park to do various throws, icy and wet grass doesnt help but its fun nonetheless, 12kg might not sound like much but its draining enough

Slam ball? Like a rubber ball filled with sand?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Slam ball? Like a rubber ball filled with sand?

Im not sure what its filled with but I wouldnt have said sand but maybe, there isnt much give in it but more so than the plastic type ones, basically a little bigger than a basketball and the surface feels like leather.

this is it

https://www.mcsport.ie/products/hit-fitness-over-sized-medicine-ball-12kg-hit00194?variant=32518954287183&cmp_id=732425403&adg_id=114225645032&kwd=&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAiAouD_BRBIEiwALhJH6PFbd1hOhURdicIW8NpeJ_OyKX8hD0nRiygCKSqbubPfpzSxEgJgrxoCi_YQAvD_BwE

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

These behemoths arrived today.

I'm sure I'll use them.

I'll definitely use them.

At worst, luxury high-end door stops?

Ooooh they're fancy. Very tempted. Lots of growing room for me too :)
    Was delivery lead time ok?

silverharp wrote: »
    Im not sure what its filled with but I wouldnt have said sand but maybe, there isnt much give in it but more so than the plastic type ones, basically a little bigger than a basketball and the surface feels like leather.

this is it

https://www.mcsport.ie/products/hit-fitness-over-sized-medicine-ball-12kg-hit00194?variant=32518954287183&cmp_id=732425403&adg_id=114225645032&kwd=&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAiAouD_BRBIEiwALhJH6PFbd1hOhURdicIW8NpeJ_OyKX8hD0nRiygCKSqbubPfpzSxEgJgrxoCi_YQAvD_BwE

I hadn't meant it was filled with sand as such but that it felt like that.

I forgot about those versions of medicine ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Ooooh they're fancy. Very tempted. Lots of growing room for me too :)
    Was delivery lead time ok?

Ordered Monday, came Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭bigslick

As it seems gyms wont be opening for a while am looking at getting a half rack for the garage. Do you think this would work ok for squat, bench press (with a bench of course), and overhead press? Just want to try and get back on track and dont really want to pay circa 5-800 for a full half rack. Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

bigslick wrote: »
    As it seems gyms wont be opening for a while am looking at getting a half rack for the garage. Do you think this would work ok for squat, bench press (with a bench of course), and overhead press? Just want to try and get back on track and dont really want to pay circa 5-800 for a full half rack. Thanks

That will work but I know someone who has one and it's a bit of a pain if you want to actually use the catcher arms on it, I know someone who has one and it's quite shallow. I also think it's quite expensive for what it is.

If you are intent on a imported half rack, and have the ceiling space, might be better looking for something like this: https://irishlifting.ie/gym-equipment/heavy-duty-half-rack/

Strength Shop UK has even better options but there are significant delays in them shipping to Ireland unless you're prepared to wait.

It's more expensive but Blk Box utility quarter rack would be a good option. You can add catcher arms. https://www.blkboxfitness.com/products/blk-box-utility-quarter-rack

There are other gym equipment fabricators in Ireland that will make something similar to this for less, if you shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was just on to Strength Shop's head office in Scotland and they're saying the orders that were delayed are in transit now. They were blaming weather conditions and the courier companies moreso than anything else. It is what it is...

Advertisement