Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finding Jack Charlton

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Legend. Wonder if Brendan Gleeson would do a good Hollywood Jack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

"They think a lot of you, don't they, in Ireland?".
    "I've no idea".

Heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

p to the e wrote: »
    "I've no idea".

Heartbreaking.
    Yeah, looks like it'll a very tough watch in places. Dementia is a horrid curse. It does look good from that trailer though

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

He wasnt really a gracious footballer or manager, a gentleman yes, one wonders how we could have played without so much "hoofball" what with all the great players we had back then? I believe we would have got nowhere without him though !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

The modern state of the art is high tempo pressing high up the pitch and short passing. He had the first half of that formula 30 years ago, combined with then then British school of thinking that the direct ball was the way to go. It wasn't aimless hoofing. The book Soccernomics describes how that an earlier, flawed, statistical analysis is the foundation of that direct passing philosophy in the UK. Jack knew exactly what he was doing, and if it wasn't pretty to watch, he got Ireland to 4th ranked in the world. As good as some of his players were, I think it's unlikely there weren't four teams with better players than us, so he wasn't underperforming with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Jack was one of a kind, he gave us incredible times and memories. He was a far better coach/manager than some give him credit for.

I can’t wait to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks good, same team behind it who did the Bobby Robson documentary, well worth watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Released on Apple TV tomorrow as well as DVD, Blu Ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

larva wrote: »
    He wasnt really a gracious footballer or manager, a gentleman yes, one wonders how we could have played without so much "hoofball" what with all the great players we had back then? I believe we would have got nowhere without him though !

Wonder he didn't adopt the don revie style of play

We had the players

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

Really looking forward to watching this, some great memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Watched it last night. Heart breaking stuff. A shadow of the man by the end

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭weadick

Will this have a cinema release?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

weadick wrote: »
    Will this have a cinema release?

I only saw it listed for the strand arts center in Belfast which would have been pre lockdowns.

It is available to buy or rent from a few services.

https://www.findingjackcharlton.com/where-to-watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Great for Virgin Media Television being involved with this along with the BBC.

When I saw Brendan O'Carroll I was worried but thankfully his involvement was short.

I didn't agree with Larry Mullen Jr. making a big deal about Jack taking the flag back nonsense.

Great documentary and great bit with Paul McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilbury Twist

Watched the DVD today. To be honest as an Irish soccer fan who follows the game closely there wasn't any new insight or angle that hasn't already been explored on the football side of the Ireland reign of Jack. It seems to me to be a made for UK market product for people who in the main wouldn't be as familiar with Jack's Ireland career in detail, definitely good if you are in that category.

It's a bit of a scatter gun approach of various themes that are touched upon but not really developed in detail, dementia, Ireland culture and sociology in 1980's, a bit on the relationship between Jack and brother Bobby, a bit on working class north east UK, even a bit of Chris De Burgh singing, Dunphy throwing the pen in the studio at Italia 90.

The Paul McGrath and Packie Bonner segments were good as were the segments of Jack with his wife and extended family and the impact that Jack's dementia had on him and his family. That was sensitively and well filmed.

The documentary is worth a watch but doesn't total the sum of it's parts in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭weadick

Watched the DVD today. To be honest as an Irish soccer fan who follows the game closely there wasn't any new insight or angle that hasn't already been explored on the football side of the Ireland reign of Jack. It seems to me to be a made for UK market product for people who in the main wouldn't be as familiar with Jack's Ireland career in detail, definitely good if you are in that category.

It's a bit of a scatter gun approach of various themes that are touched upon but not really developed in detail, dementia, Ireland culture and sociology in 1980's, a bit on the relationship between Jack and brother Bobby, a bit on working class north east UK, even a bit of Chris De Burgh singing, Dunphy throwing the pen in the studio at Italia 90.

The Paul McGrath and Packie Bonner segments were good as were the segments of Jack with his wife and extended family and the impact that Jack's dementia had on him and his family. That was sensitively and well filmed.

The documentary is worth a watch but doesn't total the sum of it's parts in my view.

Can't argue with anything there. A good watch but nothing really new in it either unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I enjoyed it, and while I agree that if you've been following Irish football, or football generally, there isnt too much new I thought the purpose of that focus on the past was to remind us what dementia had taken from Jack Charlton. It's old news to us, but the man himself who did those things has no recall of them - it may as well have been a stranger. The final sequence where he sings the same song as he did at the Italia 90 sing-a-long is uplifting because its a reminder there is still a bit of him there.

Sand wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, and while I agree that if you've been following Irish football, or football generally, there isnt too much new I thought the purpose of that focus on the past was to remind us what dementia had taken from Jack Charlton. It's old news to us, but the man himself who did those things has no recall of them - it may as well have been a stranger. The final sequence where he sings the same song as he did at the Italia 90 sing-a-long is uplifting because its a reminder there is still a bit of him there.

That sums it up very well. This is a nostalgic trip down memory lane very cleverly combined with Jacks philosophy through his notes. I think they handled the dementia beautifully, giving us really only a glimpse of what that does to a person and what it takes away, without going too deep into it and the pain that it causes. It was done eloquently, and all in all a beautiful homage to a man that changed our country forever, and probably gave me the best memories of my childhood. I'll never forget as a 10 year old going out for a walk after we beat Romania, with just pure happiness outside. Something like that can probably never happen again in Ireland, even if we won a tournament, it just wouldn't be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

p to the e wrote: »

"I've no idea".

Heartbreaking.

I thought the opposite part from that was really uplifting.

When Jack is watching a video from USA 94, i think, and Paul McGrath walked out of the hotel, and Jack turns to the camera with a huge grin and just says "Thats Paul McGrath". It showed he still had flashes of himself inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It is coming soon on VM1. Is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Hard to watch,sad and lonesome.Well made and honest in its portrayal.Dementia is a thief and a destroyer of lives.Sleep well Jack you gave us great memories,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Coming soon on BBC2
    Looking forward to watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Next Sunday, 28th, on VM1

• Registered Users Posts: 71,557 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Also on BBC2 next Monday at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

larva wrote: »
    Legend. Wonder if Brendan Gleeson would do a good Hollywood Jack?

I was thinking Michael Fassbender :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I watched this on BBC2 in Monday. It was very well done especially the Dementia part but otherwise nothing really new in it.
    It is such a horrible thing Dementia and I do think the hits to the head have to be part of the cause of it. Maybe its not the whole reason but certainly part of it. Humans were never meant to take big hits to the head be it by a ball or by a fist in boxing. It knocks the brain around and who knows what else it does probably breaking never links too. Maybe the DNA makeup of a person has something to do with it as well but either way it's still horrible to see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The thing I always liked about Charlton was his honest, straightforward, way. He had that lovely old fashioned Northern English flat way of speaking. A way of saying something without the need to sugar coat or flower things up. It could get him into some bother at times, for sure, but it's a dying way of speaking, in all walks of life, as people become more and more "political" and prone to spoofing, or being economical with the the truth, to protect a stance or a corporate entity of some sorts. We see this in football all the time these days and men like Jack Charlton, who honestly speak their minds, are few and far between.

As to the programme, it was a nice to relive some of the moments, but they weren't anything that haven't been engrained on my memory. The sections about his dementia in later life are hard to watch though. It's sad to see the invasive corruption upon a person that the likes of Alzheimers and dementia can bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,557 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

‘Finding Jack Charlton’ just started on BBC Two right now.

Advertisement