Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

Sandyford couldn’t confirm they just said refresh model is available

It's very frustrating. You don't know what your getting. 10 countries in Europe are getting china built model 3's . Could they not tell us if Ireland is one . Is our car gonna have LFP battery ?
    . Is it gonna have a Heat pump
    At least we know its a refresh from the configorator but that's all . It's a good time and a terrible time to buy a M3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

J-W wrote: »
    One interesting thing I read about the Tesla
    LFP batteries is they recommend charging to 100% at least once a week

I can't decide if an LFP is a good or bad thing.
    Great potential, but unproven (vs a battery tech they have been using for years).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It's very frustrating. You don't know what your getting. 10 countries in Europe are getting china built model 3's . Could they not tell us if Ireland is one . Is our car gonna have LFP battery ?
    . Is it gonna have a Heat pump
    At least we know its a refresh from the configorator but that's all . It's a good time and a terrible time to buy a M3

I can confirm my car is coming from Fremont.

embraer170 wrote: »
    I can't decide if an LFP is a good or bad thing.
    Great potential, but unproven (vs a battery tech they have been using for years).

Agreed I still don't know which I want .

But I would rather the Chinese built car in general. Old "Made in China" jokes aside I believe they would put together a car better than an American assembly line.

jhegarty wrote: »
    I can confirm my car is coming from Fremont.

I was gonna PM and ask but are you getting a SR+ .

If so ya it points to the next two loads at least coming from Fremont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I was gonna PM and ask but are you getting a SR+ .

If so ya it points to the next two loads at least coming from Fremont

SR+

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

I did a test drive recently SR+ and felt it was a bit rough, mind you it was on rough roads around Stepaside on purpose. I can’t put my finger on it shock absorbers or some part of the suspension. Handling was awesome so I’m looking for advice. Maybe the bigger tyres or performance model are smoother. I really couldn’t criticise anything else so am already sold but would like opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Odauto

I did a test drive recently SR+ and felt it was a bit rough, mind you it was on rough roads around Stepaside on purpose. I can’t put my finger on it shock absorbers or some part of the suspension. Handling was awesome so I’m looking for advice. Maybe the bigger tyres or performance model are smoother. I really couldn’t criticise anything else so am already sold but would like opinions?

I didn't notice any difference between my SR+ with aero wheels and a Long range with sports wheels. Having said that, I didn't notice any difference between my old passat sport and the SR+. Can't imagine the performance model would be any different but haven't been in one yet.
    The Model S has a much smoother ride. But that's a different kettle of fish.

Odauto wrote: »
    I didn't notice any difference between my SR+ with aero wheels and a Long range with sports wheels. Having said that, I didn't notice any difference between my old passat sport and the SR+. Can't imagine the performance model would be any different but haven't been in one yet.
    The Model S has a much smoother ride. But that's a different kettle of fish.

Interesting is it well known the Model S is a smoother ride? What’s the reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Agreed I still don't know which I want .

But I would rather the Chinese built car in general. Old "Made in China" jokes aside I believe they would put together a car better than an American assembly line.

I agree, but the question is how would one compare an American assembly line that has been producing Models 3s for three years, and a rather new Chinese assmbly line. That, combined with the LFP battery uncertainty, I am totally undecided.

• Advertisement

Interesting is it well known the Model S is a smoother ride? What’s the reasons?

The Model S has adaptive air suspension. Model 3 doesn't yet but apparently air suspension is coming for the Model 3. Is it a deal breaker? Just back from a spin. Its a very comfortable ride on even half decent roads.

I agree, but the question is how would one compare an American assembly line that has been producing Models 3s for three years, and a rather new Chinese assmbly line. That, combined with the LFP battery uncertainty, I am totally undecided.

Tesla US team would have implemented every improvement and lesson learned from Fremont on the Chinese lines with all the latest equipment that wouldn't be cost effective to retrofit in US.
    That's why every new plant is better than the last

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d rate the Chinese as better. Lessons learnt and using a purpose built factory built on a greenfield site. With better quality control.

When I was working in Intel all the new fabs were producing much better product than the older sites. The American sites had the worst quality

The Chinese assembly line will more consistently produce quality cars. They will have learned from the mistakes of the Fermont factory.
    The quality of the cars coming off the assembly line is still hit and miss. I took delivery last November and there were an number of issue with the car that were due to poor quality control. The boot didn't latch properly, the bonnet was crooked and needed adjustment and there were a number of small but obvious body and interior defects (most of which were later fixed by Tesla). All the issues were minor and should have be caught by QC.
    I got a ceramic coating done last week and they guys noticed that the bolts holding on the back passenger door were not properly tightened. Having said all that, I've been in model 3s that are flawless.
    I'm sure the the quality of cars assembles in the US is getting better but I think the Chinese cars will be more consistently better quality cars.

The Model S has adaptive air suspension. Model 3 doesn't yet but apparently air suspension is coming for the Model 3. Is it a deal breaker? Just back from a spin. Its a very comfortable ride on even half decent roads.

No not a deal breaker just wondered had anyone noticed a similar observation. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

Old_Sport wrote: »
    It's so weird that they say November on their page but when I contacted them they told me the next shipment is only arriving in January.

Pretty normal, mine said July last year and the car arrived at the end of March this year. :rolleyes:
    slave1 wrote: »
    Totally agree but the chrome delete will hit poor auld aftermarketers

They'll just start doing re-chrome kits instead. ;)
    On the other hand, the ID3 also doesn't seem like a bad car...

Have you driven an ID.3? There is no comparison. Make sure you test both before deciding.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

guy on the Facebook group ordered a Model 3 and collected it 6 days later..... must be the fastest turnaround to date..

I'd like to see the quality of the M3's coming out of China, my greatest fear would be getting a car with lots of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As far as I know that was a rumour back in Feb 2020 but has since been doubted/debunked, including by Elon.

The main benefit of air suspension is road noise reduction due to mechanical decoupling, although it's also useful for self-levelling e.g. when towing or carrying cases of wine back from France. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

When do we expect the Model Y to make it out here?

• Advertisement

When Berlin production is up to speed.

EVGuy wrote: »
    When Berlin production is up to speed.

So could be 18 months plus?
    Wow. That's a fair wait.
    Thanks though :)

Surely the model y will be shipped to Ireland from the U.S or China ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Surely the model y will be shipped to Ireland from the U.S or China ?

Why would they when they know they're about to start building them in the same economic jurisdiction as Ireland, and only a few hours away by road & ferry!

Exactly, and those that want a car now and won't wait, can always buy a 3 now and swap later/get the Y as a 2nd car, as happens a lot in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭nc6000

One of the Tesla Sandyford people told me we won't see the Model Y here until the Berlin Gigafactory is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Jog501

Does anybody know if tesla will be bringing PCP to the Irish market for the Model 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I'd like to see the quality of the M3's coming out of China, my greatest fear would be getting a car with lots of issues.

https://electrek.co/2020/08/03/tesla-made-in-china-cars-lead-market-quality

The evidence available online would seem to suggest its better.
    But you know fakenews etc. Everything is made in China these days!

The China made cars will be fine. Bizarre to suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

The paint on the Model 3s out of Freemont is absolutely awful, I haven't seen Model 3 that didn't have some issues with the paint.

Advertisement