Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's Good In The Supermarkets? (Excluding Aldi & Lidl)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

con747 wrote: »
    Tesco Finest Barbecue Beef Crisps 150G have the best flavour in a packet of crisps in a long time, will have to try the rest of the range now :pac:

Picked up a pack of the BBQ beef yesterday, very tasty, cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Supervalue Signature Ketchup is really good and very reasonably priced @ €1.50. One of the few ketchup's I can find in a glass bottle too. Trying not to buying condiments in plastic bottles anymore.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-ketchup-brown-sauce-signature-tastes-tomato-320-grams-/p-1418411000

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That's The Pizza Company pizzas. The stuffed crust cheese one is very good.

Yeah this is the Pizza Company Hot Fudge chocolate cake, not bad for 3 euro and only 2 euro if you can find it on the bargain shelf which is how I discovered it. I must give the pizzas a try. Their Milanos Sloppy Guiseppe is also a nice pizza when it is half price which is about half the time.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=304787726

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I got a bottle of Chef chip shop curry sauce in Tesco the other day, it's like a glass ketchup bottle. Looking online they also have a tub of mix that will make 1litre. It tastes just like the one from the chipper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ryath wrote: »
    Supervalue Signature Ketchup is really good and very reasonably priced @ €1.50.
    I will give that a go. I used to have several bottles of ketchup on the go at once. Delmonte do a good one, can be in some Asian shops.

Heinz is 148g tomatoes per 100g, that supervalu one is 229g. Interesting to see it uses wine vinegar too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah this is the Pizza Company Hot Fudge chocolate cake, not bad for 3 euro and only 2 euro if you can find it on the bargain shelf which is how I discovered it. I must give the pizzas a try. Their Milanos Sloppy Guiseppe is also a nice pizza when it is half price which is about half the time.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=304787726

That's one of my favourite pizzas! We have the same taste. There used to be a deal on The Pizza Company pizza and sides and dessserts but I noticed it's over now.

There used to be a deal on The Pizza Company pizza and sides and dessserts but I noticed it's over now.
    Yeah, a good 10euro deal.

In case anybody is not aware "The pizza company" range is a tesco own brand range. It is what I would call a semi-phantom brand, in that it does not obviously appear to be a tesco product until you read the small print on the back.

So it will not be in other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭con747

Tesco have new products out the OH seen tonight on the way home, https://www.facebook.com/heatandenjoyuk/. I can only find the page linked about it so if anyone has a better insight please share!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Tesco have new products out the OH seen tonight on the way home, https://www.facebook.com/heatandenjoyuk/. I can only find the page linked about it so if anyone has a better insight please share!

I cannot see them on the Irish site but I see them on the UK site. I only checked a few but none have reviews yet, only the UK site shows reviews.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/fresh-food/ready-meals/heat-and-enjoy

Its not clear to me if stuff is fully cooked, I thought it was with the name. I see battered cod with a 22min cook time from fresh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They're not listed in the ready meals section - maybe they're just trying them in a few stores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Heat and Enjoy meals are showing up now on Tesco Ireland site now e.g.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=307349066

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Just had the Heat&Enjoy Cod in batter and onion rings with homemade chips. The Cod had 2 big enough pieces in the pack one piece a little smaller and was nice and tasty "oven cooked 200c for 30 mins" turning half way. The onion rings though half the batter was off a lot of them so check before buying, they were nice as well "200c for 15 mins". We have a Heat&Enjoy Jalfrezi and Indian selection for over the weekend. For what you get in the deal it's fairly good value @ €12.00 All the mains seem to serve 2 portions.

We had the Jalfrezi, Indian selection and garlic bread from the Heat & Enjoy range for dinner, the Jalfrezi was as good if not nicer than the local Indian takeaway but needed a bit more chicken for 2 people in our case "very hungry" the Indian selection was nice as well. The garlic bread was middle of the road. If all the range of mains are of the same quality it is a far cheaper and just as nice an option to the takeaways. I will be trying the rest of the range for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I recommend these 12 buns, plenty of fruit and not dry at all.
    Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.52.24.png

We had the Jalfrezi, Indian selection and garlic bread from the Heat & Enjoy range for dinner, the Jalfrezi was as good if not nicer than the local Indian takeaway but needed a bit more chicken for 2 people in our case "very hungry" the Indian selection was nice as well. The garlic bread was middle of the road. If all the range of mains are of the same quality it is a far cheaper and just as nice an option to the takeaways. I will be trying the rest of the range for sure!

Interesting you found it as good as a takeaway, Im intrigued to try it now. One thing ready meals have never really done well is Indian food, very little meat in them and they're always afraid of adding too much heat too for fear of alienating some customers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

What's the best Tesco Value food items that taste as good as the brand names?

What's the best Tesco Value food items that taste as good as the brand names?

That would be a subject for a separate thread, so feel free to start one. It would take this thread off topic by narrowing it to a discussion about Tesco.

Interesting you found it as good as a takeaway, Im intrigued to try it now. One thing ready meals have never really done well is Indian food, very little meat in them and they're always afraid of adding too much heat too for fear of alienating some customers

Short on time the last few days so grabbed some as a quick dinner. Wasn't expecting much have got the Tesco ready meal curry's before and they've been poor. M&S are the only ready meals that I find consistently decent.

It's actually quite good I thought, had the Tika marsala, Tandoori mixed grill and garlic Naan's tonight. Cooked my own rice. The mixed grill and Naans were particularly good. Was a little shy on meat and obviously mild! Still have the Indian sides to try I'll have as snack another day. Kid's quite liked the gooey Chocolate Brownie.

Decent value €12 for two mains and 3 sides. I'll definitely try some of the others. Heat & Enjoy branding and packaging is a little naf though, looks like it's from the 90's!

Was actually in a Tesco yesterday and was going up and down the ready meal aisle looking for it. I must be going blind or something but I couldnt find anything with Heat and Enjoy branding on it or any signage of the 12 euro offer.

I was in second Tesco yesterday and didn't see it either. The first one I had got it had replaced their fridge full of The Pizza Company deal with Heat and Enjoy range. The second still had the Pizza company offer so maybe they are waiting to clear it.

The range is more than the Indian food there was chicken goujons, onion rings and garlic bread. Some of the stuff was rebranded Pizza Company sides. There was a lamb kebab kit as a main that looked decent I'll try next time.

• Advertisement

Was actually in a Tesco yesterday and was going up and down the ready meal aisle looking for it. I must be going blind or something but I couldnt find anything with Heat and Enjoy branding on it or any signage of the 12 euro offer.

The range on the UK site is nearly all here as well. https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/fresh-food/ready-meals/heat-and-enjoy/all I heard the kebab meal wasn't great.

Jalfrezi was as good if not nicer than the local Indian takeaway but needed a bit more chicken for 2 people in our case "very hungry"
    One thing ready meals have never really done well is Indian food, very little meat in them
    I just look at the weights and ingredients. It is 425g and said to be for 2 people, most takeaways would be giving you that weight as a single portion. It is 21% chicken so 89g of chicken. So 44.5g of chicken is their idea of a portion.

Yet if you look at their chicken fillets. 533g is considered "3 servings", which is 184g (which I consider large).

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=301905719

A smallish fillet you might get 10 for a tenner in a butchers will be about 120-130g.
    Ryath wrote: »
    There was a lamb kebab kit as a main that looked decent I'll try next time.
    I saw that one too, again claimed to be for 2 people but lighter than a kebab from my local chipper. I was warning a friend that it was more expensive by weight.

This is not particular to this range, most ready meals are way lighter than takeaways and I often just eat half a takeaway and save the rest for lunch. I know people who just split one between 2.

If I was served 44.5g of chicken in a takeaway or restaurant I would be far from impressed! so factor in the real price.

Yeah 425g is not a great weight, its too much for one person yet not enough for two. 44g of chicken in a curry is miserly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Tesco own brand crumpets at 69 cent are very good for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Roald Dahl

In my local Tesco it's in its own fridge display along the back wall, with the cheese, fish and Pizza Company selection.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This stuff is delicious!
    Salty, like all LKK range, but very good.

Found it not in a supermarket, but Mr Bells in Cork for €4.

https://twitter.com/ThomHetheringto/status/1335668629468291073?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Any supermarkets still have the smaller & sweeter Irish \ Netherlands strawberry varieties such as Elsanta?

I'm starting to see Mediterranean varieties come in from Spain, Egypt and not keen on them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Had one of those chicken jalfrezis, as everyone has suggested a bit small for 2, chicken a bit stingy, tasty though.

For 2.50 a head im happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    This stuff is delicious!
    Salty, like all LKK range, but very good.

Found it not in a supermarket, but Mr Bells in Cork for €4.

https://twitter.com/ThomHetheringto/status/1335668629468291073?s=19

Love mister bells always find something new, check out the Chinese shop down the coal quay a right little treasure trove..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Love mister bells always find something new, check out the Chinese shop down the coal quay a right little treasure trove..

Jia Jia.
    Great shop. Family run and very friendly.

I've been shopping there since it opened. Turned out that the woman thought I ran a restaurant - we were buying so much Chinese food!

Advertisement