Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

What's the "broken line" today?

This is RTE's fault, and not the callers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Poor Claire having lots of phone problems, I'd be calling Eir customer support :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With tiny investment in League Of Ireland this was always coming down the road.

Some very Tragic thinks happening in Ireland over the past few months. Seperatly I read yesterday that Gardai are investigating if the Body of a women found a few weeks ago at a disused railway track may have been removed from an actual grave as a result of a family dispute, making room for another relative. Just beyond comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

One of these three men voilently murdered his own brothers before taking his own life did he not? wouldn't know by listening to this report

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

We are witnessing the death of all comedy.

Bill Murray better listen up. Claire means business

Back to the COVID show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Some very Tragic thinks happening in Ireland over the past few months. Seperatly I read yesterday that Gardai are investigating if the Body of a women found a few weeks ago at a disused railway track may have been removed from an actual grave as a result of a family dispute, making room for another relative. Just beyond comprehension.

Off topic i know, but that's bloody horrific. Had not seen it reported anywhere

Will we have Antoinette Cunninghamfrom the AGSI on moaning and whinging again this morning re the change in vacinne roll out plan. Personally I think going on age profile make more sense.

The teachers no doubt will be up in arms (excuse the pun), can we a suddenly expect problem with schools reopening after Easter?

There really should be an award for the most prolific vested interest moaner during tge pandemic.

My vote goes to

Individual

Antoinette CUNNINGHAM (AGSI)

Adrian Cummins (RAI)

Tom Parlon(CFI)

Group

Teacher organisations Generally

Vintner Association Generally

Retail excellence (Special award)

• Advertisement

I'd say Darragh livid as too construction federation, clever move by gov, focusing on Home building sites :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Pascal was on Pat Kenny this morning and gave a good interview. Pascal was able to deal competently with all issues from Milltown to the CIF etc

Darragh O Brien comes on CB and waffles , he certainly was not following the government line as provided by Pascal and came across as ill prepared.

There are people being paid a lot of money to brief ministers ,is Darragh incapable of listening?

As for the interviewer- Claires constant interruptions with 'if you get the deliveries ' re the vaccines was more fitting of a college radio station.

Dempo - add Eoghan 'I am not a vested interest ' Corry to your list !

Reaching for the off button now - Claire in her element with all these dissapointed vested interests.

The current interview, the interviewee Eoin is babbling on.... Apparently everything is gonna work out just find, according to Eoin's statistical analysis :o My elderly dad is listening to it.... What a load of ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Will we have Antoinette Cunninghamfrom the AGSI on moaning and whinging again this morning re the change in vacinne roll out plan. Personally I think going on age profile make more sense.

The teachers no doubt will be up in arms (excuse the pun), can we a suddenly expect problem with schools reopening after Easter?

There really should be an award for the most prolific vested interest moaner during tge pandemic.

My vote goes to

Individual

Antoinette CUNNINGHAM (AGSI)

Adrian Cummins (RAI)

Tom mac parland (CFI)

Group

Teacher organisations Generally

Vintner Association Generally

Retail excellence (Special award)

Tom Mac Parland. ?

Who in fuukks name is that dude.

Tom Mac Parland. ?

Who in fuukks name is that dude.

Tom Parlon, Typo, big thumb syndrome, I've had it checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Tom Parlon, Typo, big thumb syndrome, I've had it checked out

Aah.. got it now, thanks bub.

No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Will we have Antoinette Cunningham from the AGSI on moaning and whinging again this morning
    Does she ever do anything else?

Honest to God, if there is an excuse to be found why the Guards can't do something, Antoinette will find it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

serfboard wrote: »

Honest to God, if there is an excuse to be found why the Guards can't do something, Antoinette will find it ...

I'm sure that when AGSI was founded in the 70's politicians never expected it would evolve into it's current form.

The term "mission creep" comes to mind.

In order to keep the Gardai on side while at the same time not be accused of a u-turn the government should announce that anyone wearing a cap should be moved up to level 4 for vaccination, cap inspection centres could be opened up nationwide run by the defence forces. regulations regarding cap sizes could be posted on the hse website, cap inspectors could also be recruited to ensure compliance thereby creating employment... the idea has merit imv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

In order to keep the Gardai on side while at the same time not be accused of a u-turn the government should announce that anyone wearing a cap should be moved up to level 4 for vaccination, cap inspection centres could be opened up nationwide run by the defence forces. regulations regarding cap sizes could be posted on the hse website, cap inspectors could also be recruited to ensure compliance thereby creating employment... the idea has merit imv

Would Skumbags with baseball caps be included?

• Advertisement

Would Skumbags with baseball caps be included?

Why not? if they fulfilled the criteria, I suppose they would have to provide photographic evidence that they were cap wearers at least 3 months prior to the day of vaccination, thats where the cap inspectors would come in, one just couldn't rock up to a vaccination centre with a cap and bobs yer uncle be vaccinated that would just be blaggardery

She really is painful to listen too and seems to think every garda on the beat is a cry baby to be treated with kit gloves, she also goes on about lack of consultation almost suggesting the Justice Minister should be required to sit down with every single garda for a cuppa, jeresy creams etc for a little chat explaining what their jobs actually entail. As for the Quarantine Hotels debacle, I get a sense Gardai generally wiped their hands of it, leaving the army to babysit.

The AGSI wasn't even on the programme today.

Professor Kingston Mills was, and he said that once the elderly were vaccinated it could make more sense to vaccinate people with more exposure to the virus, like teachers and Gardaí.

The idea isn't to protect teachers and Gardai as individuals, he said, but to reduce transmission in the community by vaccinating those with a large amount of contacts. It does seem a little over the top to be vaccinating 50 year olds working from home before vaccinating 30yo gardaí who could become significant vectors of disease.

The AGSI wasn't even on the programme today.

Professor Kingston Mills was, and he said that once the elderly were vaccinated it could make more sense to vaccinate people with more exposure to the virus, like teachers and Gardaí.

The idea isn't to protect teachers and Gardai as individuals, he said, but to reduce transmission in the community by vaccinating those with a large amount of contacts. It does seem a little over the top to be vaccinating 50 year olds working from home before vaccinating 30yo gardaí who could become significant vectors of disease.

Correct re AGSI, it was assumed they'd be on after the back lash, it was a welcome relief they weren't on. In fairness, I can see why Teacher's need to be prioritised albeit some say schools not an issue, I've my own genuine doubts about that. Gardai do have exposure but generally at a distance, particularly covid check points, I get when they have to deal with arrests etc not so distant. One thing I will say and I'm not judging, few if any Gardai I've come across on covid checkpoints wear masks so it makes me wonder are some bothered at all and yes, I know they are not obliged to wear face coverings in the course of their duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Travellers, Roma and the homeless getting in ahead of frontline workers will prove a tricky one for the Unions. They will want to push their members back up the priority list but can't be seen to be beating down on the minorities as they make their case.
    Could be a few more mornings worth of radio out of this poser!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

She/they are a rep body for a cohort of state employees. Their sole concern is to improve the terms & conditions of their paid up members. There is no problem that can't be solved without a sweetner given to the appropriate group.

All rep bodies/unions are the same.

I've my own genuine doubts about that. Gardai do have exposure but generally at a distance, particularly covid check points, I get when they have to deal with arrests etc not so distant. One thing I will say and I'm not judging, few if any Gardai I've come across on covid checkpoints wear masks so it makes me wonder are some bothered at all and yes, I know they are not obliged to wear face coverings in the course of their duties.
    I've seen a mixture, but a mask isn't of help when the other person isn't wearing one, and you have to be up close to them.

The only class of people who are going to repeatedly come into contact with law-breakers (and therefore, very unlikely to take covid precautions) are Gardaí, and that's an obvious channel for disease transmission into the community.
    All of the Gardaí in the country could be vaccinated in a single week.

A caller to the Liveline show made the fair remark that this is less needed for teachers, who will soon be off for the summer anyway. I thought that was a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I've seen a mixture, but a mask isn't of help when the other person isn't wearing one, and you have to be up close to them.

The only class of people who are going to repeatedly come into contact with law-breakers (and therefore, very unlikely to take covid precautions) are Gardaí, and that's an obvious channel for disease transmission into the community.
    All of the Gardaí in the country could be vaccinated in a single week.

A caller to the Liveline show made the fair remark that this is less needed for teachers, who will soon be off for the summer anyway. I thought that was a fair point.

It's not that simple, there is a not insignificant number of guards who never encounter a member of the public during their working week..

KaneToad wrote: »
    It's not that simple, there is a not insignificant number of guards who never encounter a member of the public during their working week..

I would suspect there are very few. There are only about 14,000 gardaí.

If the HSE gets close to its rate of vaccination that is projected, all Gardaí could theoretically be vaccinated in half a day.

Didn't realise we had quite so few. So AGSI has a point here, and so does Prof Mills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Why not? if they fulfilled the criteria, I suppose they would have to provide photographic evidence that they were cap wearers at least 3 months prior to the day of vaccination, thats where the cap inspectors would come in, one just couldn't rock up to a vaccination centre with a cap and bobs yer uncle be vaccinated that would just be blaggardery

If they wear there caps back to front, would that count? Asking for a close friend?

Advertisement