Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Dance (Netflix)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Just finished the Rodman episode last night. Pistons looked like they were playing a different sport - so brutal and physical! Felt like the episode just ended at a strange point though. Seemed like there was more to cover, but maybe future episodes will uncover more.

Gotta feel for Scottie Pippen in a way - locking himself into such a long contract to guarantee himself payment (which it seems was very necessary with a large family to look out for), but then becoming one of the best players in the league and putting in incredible performances.

Krauss getting the plaudits he so desperately wanted - but also acknowledging that he caused a lot of problems. Did well to piece together the team and some shrewd moves, but the need to be recognised looks like it got the better of him.

Really enjoying it so far.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Jordan was supposed to be an asshole in real life, and the doc def shows that. He ment to be a bad gambler and a prick when comes to losing .

He is a prick when it comes to losing. I'm ok with that. His drive to succeed is blatantly apparent.

Lived the bulls as a teenager so obviously I'm loving this doc. Amazing footage and insights. And it shows Jordan's darker side so at least it's not a whitewash. Pippen and Rodman episodes are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I loved the bulls and their rise and success. I used to get updated from relatives in US but watched it on C4 real late at night , when I was a teen. It was hard to put into words how good Jordan was and how great the partnership with Pippin was, Rodman was class and so wild. Phil the coach just seemed to bring it all together.
    On Jordan , should anyone be surprised with his self belief and high standards, you often see same traits in those that dominate their sports. You also see people trying to knock them from their pedestal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Thanx4dafeedbk

MAJJ wrote: »
    I loved the bulls and their rise and success. I used to get updated from relatives in US but watched it on C4 real late at night , when I was a teen. It was hard to put into words how good Jordan was and how great the partnership with Pippin was, Rodman was class and so wild. Phil the coach just seemed to bring it all together.
    On Jordan , should anyone be surprised with his self belief and high standards, you often see same traits in those that dominate their sports. You also see people trying to knock them from their pedestal.

Agree on that its the same in every sport. Indeed even in soccer you see it with Liverpool now and trying to knock us.

Hamilton,Joshua, Mcillroy all different sports but all characters that divide opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Basketball was never played in out school until Jordan and the Bulls. Then it took off where there were competitions.

And the Jumpman logo became a big thing.

He transcended sport. Maybe he wasn't the most famous man on earth but I think he was up there.

Wasn't the most famous man but he was definitely the most famous sportsman at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To be fair, he at least went and congratulated the victors when he was on the losing team. He was right in his assessment of the Pistons walking off when they were swept. Now THAT'S being an aśshole when you lose.

But most great sportspeople don't take losing very well. If you have that drive to be the best, to always want to win, you're not going to be happy to lose.

Is he a pleasant person in real life? Who knows. Does he need to be? He was a phenomenon on the court.

The anecdote about Rodman being dragged out of bed to go training after a blowout in Vegas and then racing ahead of them all in training was hilarious. Reminded me of the story of Timmy Docherty wanting to drop George Best for being out the night before w came but had to play him because of injuries. Best scores a hat trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

ollkiller wrote: »
    He is a prick when it comes to losing. I'm ok with that. His drive to succeed is blatantly apparent.

This.

I am more than willing to accept someone that hates losing so much that they turn into a d**k when it happens especially in team sports it drives others to be better.

I'm only watching them as they come onto netflix but I've found the series very enjoyable so far. I feel like Jordan learnt alot from the first play off loss to the pistons and knew the team had to grow some steel in order to win a championship and took it upon himself to make sure every player had that steel by being a hard ass. You can see how much he strived to be held in the same category as magic and Larry bird. And to take a quote from floyd Mayweather 'it ain't cocky if your backing it up' believe in your own ability and strive to be the best.

Heart has to go out to pippin the organisation may have sensed the desperation to get paid and just rail roaded him. Rodman just seems like a rogue canon but they got him to believe in the team and he gave it his all every time.

And jackson deserves the huge respect he gets 11 championships granted he had star players in mj and Kobe but he obviously had the knack of managing big egos and getting the best out of them.

Jordan was definitely up there with the biggest sport stars in the world Paris is hardly a hotbed for basketball and look at the reaction he got there and all over the world

As an aside, and given the perfectly tailored suits you see nowadays, the suits Jordan wore look hilarious. Fitted him like a young lad wearing his dad's suit.

Heart has to go out to pippin the organisation may have sensed the desperation to get paid and just rail roaded him

It was made even worse by the fact that he accepted it because he wanted to be able to look after his family.

Such a different time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

As an aside, and given the perfectly tailored suits you see nowadays, the suits Jordan wore look hilarious. Fitted him like a young lad wearing his dad's suit.

Pippen's suits even funnier imo. Like David Byrne in Stop Making Sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I was amused by the suits too, fashion really is an odd beast, today's cool is tomorrow's cringe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Any reason MJ never went to Lakers with Phil?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Any reason MJ never went to Lakers with Phil?

He didn't have to and he had shown an interest in ownership so wherever he was going to go was going to have to an ownership option involved which was never on the table with the Lakers or any established franchise which is probably 1 of the reasons he ended up with the Wizards.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Jordan was supposed to be an asshole in real life, and the doc def shows that. He ment to be a bad gambler and a prick when comes to losing .

Can't have been as sore as the pistons who wouldn't shake hands when they lost to the bulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

I'd heard the stories about MJ being an Ahole

But from what I've seen my estimation of him has gone way up, I can't help admire his work ethic and will to win

I find Netflix documentaries really hard to watch. They bombard you with snippets and sound bytes which are nothing more than filler. There is very little story content and progression is so slow I actually feel like i am still waiting for the documentary to start a proper well into the show.

I watched episode 1 of this and it is no different. I am interested in this story but I think the reality is there is actually very little content to be told and this is going to be stretched out and filled with shots of Mochael Jordan slam dunking. The man was a fantastic player, but shot after shot of him shooting hoops is very tedious and not what I would consider a good documentary or even good television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

I find Netflix documentaries really hard to watch. They bombard you with snippets and sound bytes which are nothing more than filler. There is very little story content and progression is so slow I actually feel like i am still waiting for the documentary to start a proper well into the show.

I watched episode 1 of this and it is no different. I am interested in this story but I think the reality is there is actually very little content to be told and this is going to be stretched out and filled with shots of Mochael Jordan slam dunking. The man was a fantastic player, but shot after shot of him shooting hoops is very tedious and not what I would consider a good documentary or even good television.
    Their TV shows are not much better

Once you've seen one you've seen them all

It's a long way from endless shots of Jordan scoring.

As an aside, it's not just a Netflix doc. It's ESPN with Netflix as partners but essentially made by ESPN with people who made some of their 30-for-30 docs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I only found out this morning that when Jordan left the bulls, Pippen & the lads won the championship again without him. Pippen had a phenomenal year by all accounts.

It’s interesting that Jordan couldn’t win without Pippen & Phil Jackson, but they didn’t need him to win.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I only found out this morning that when Jordan left the bulls, Pippen & the lads won the championship again without him. Pippen had a phenomenal year by all accounts.

It’s interesting that Jordan couldn’t win without Pippen & Phil Jackson, but they didn’t need him to win.

What year did they win without him because he was the MVP for every finals they ever won and the only year he wasn't overall MVP was in 93 when Barkley was MVP

• Advertisement

What year did they win without him because he was the MVP for every finals they ever won and the only year he wasn't overall MVP was in 93 when Barkley was MVP

Must of been the 1st year he left? Maybe it was just the eastern conference they won?

Must of been the 1st year he left?

He was MVP in every finals series they won.

They didn't win a finals without him.

Edit: didn't win the Eastern either

He was MVP in every finals series they won.

They didn't win a finals without him.

Edit: didn't win the Eastern either

Don’t know what I was listening to so,

Don’t know what I was listening to so,

They made the Eastern playoffs in both years after the first three-peat but when he left in 98, they also lost Jackson, Pippen and Rodman and the wheels completely came off

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

I can't read any more on this thread. I'm afraid of spoilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Funny trend where extremely promising but not quite tall enough basketball players experience extreme growth spurts when they're about 18, making them suddenly much taller than their parents and siblings. They suddenly develop that kinda very developed jaw as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Not an NBA fan but really enjoying thos too. I watched Jordan play in a game once when I was in the US in 1998 (on TV). Like the one kid who dominated an U-13 football game, he was in a different class to everyone else, and that was towards the end of the career.

He does come across as a bit if a d**k, but certainly not the worst I've seen. Their treatment of Kukoc was poor, basically taking out their Krauss frustration on him.

Funny trend where extremely promising but not quite tall enough basketball players experience extreme growth spurts when they're about 18, making them suddenly much taller than their parents and siblings. They suddenly develop that kinda very developed jaw as well.

Must get onto my Dad about his PED use so... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

https://reddit.app.link/55JZVhZhn6 Kukoc did an AMA on reddit yesterday, some good stuff there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Somebody mentioned Kobe there. How good was he compared to Jordan? "Just" the best player in the league, or a once in a generation/once in a lifetime kinda player?

Advertisement