Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CORONAVIRUS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

sligojoek wrote: »
    I passed there yesterday evening about 6.00 and there were at least 10 people outside smoking. They weren't all waiting for chips.

Fairly Standard in there tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Guys, just a reminder that we cant name and discuss individuals (or businesses) particularly when you are making claims that they are in breach of regulations. If they are in breach then report them to the relevant authorities.

Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Where is the best source of daily case numbers for Sligo? Thankfully Sligo normally falls into the "and #no. cases in #no. Counties" but I am still interested to know the numbers.

Where is the best source of daily case numbers for Sligo? Thankfully Sligo normally falls into the "and #no. cases in #no. Counties" but I am still interested to know the numbers.
    You can view the Government daily briefings here. Its usually updated every day around 6pm give or take half an hour.

Follow that link and then click on the latest news for that day and it will give you 2 figures for the daily cases. The first is the up to date list up to midnight the previous night. It will state where all the highest number of new cases are county by county. You can then view the list of counties but the figures there are for the previous 24 hours.

It is a wee bit confusing but the figures they release today for example (per county) will appear in the county list tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Phantom

As at 6pm on Wednesday 7 October Sligo has had an increase of 7 cases in 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 218 in Sligo county.

Source for 07/10/2020
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/4e25b-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-wednesday-7-october/

Latest updates on COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
    From Department of Health

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/#

HSE - Covid-19 daily operations updates
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/coronavirus-daily-operations-updates.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

They keep saying you should work from home unless essential, which is annoying for those of us who don't have reasonable employers.

They don't seem to take into account that some private sector employers insist on coming into the office even when not essential.

There is no incentive or punishment for them not allowing thier staff work from home.

My boss is no longer facilitating any staff member to work from home no matter what the government recommend or advise.

He has said only if it becomes law will he then consider allowing it again (In April & May he allowed all staff work from home)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

BronsonTB wrote: »

My boss is no longer facilitating any staff member to work from home no matter what the government recommend or advise.

He has said only if it becomes law will he then consider allowing it again (In April & May he allowed all staff work from home)

How can they possibly keep an eye on you and make sure you're working as hard as possible if they're not looking over their shoulder at you?

Some people are just wankers

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Is there anywhere in the town offering private non-GP referral Covid tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in the town offering private non-GP referral Covid tests?

I'm open to contradiction, but AFAIK there's only 2 ways to be referred for a test 1) By a GP (if they are satisfied you have symptoms) 2) You are listed as a close contact of a person who already has tested positive i.e. contact traced

• Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Plazaman wrote: »
    I'm open to contradiction, but AFAIK there's only 2 ways to be referred for a test 1) By a GP (if they are satisfied you have symptoms) 2) You are listed as a close contact of a person who already has tested positive i.e. contact traced
    There's a few private testing centres being setup in which you don't need GP referrals.

e.g https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/healthcare-group-rocdoc-to-open-three-private-covid-19-testing-centres-1.4396916?mode=amp

But none around Sligo as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Was in Tesco easier this morning, 2 workers in one aisle not wearing a mask, one wandering around not wearing a mask. Unbelievable:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭DenMan

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Was in Tesco easier this morning, 2 workers in one aisle not wearing a mask, one wandering around not wearing a mask. Unbelievable:mad:

That's truly shocking, the day before Christmas Eve. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

DenMan wrote: »
    That's truly shocking, the day before Christmas Eve. :mad:

Truly shocking on any given day in the latter part of this year really. Given that since late Summer we were all advised that wearing masks decreases chances of spreading/catching the virus, sadly another example of how some folk think/believe/act as if they are immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Few positive tests have been confirmed for Penneys employees, and a few more off work sick and awaiting results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭dakar

Basq wrote: »
    There's a few private testing centres being setup in which you don't need GP referrals.

e.g https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/healthcare-group-rocdoc-to-open-three-private-covid-19-testing-centres-1.4396916?mode=amp

But none around Sligo as far as I know.

Randox have a centre in the Clayton now. We got everyone tested before going back to work for peace of mind after people had been in various parts of the country and mixing with family etc. Not 100% guaranteed obviously, but hopefully will keep everyone safe.

€99 and next day results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭johnire

On my walk yesterday I walked through Finisklin Industrial Estate and couldn’t believe the amount of cars queuing to get into the Covid testing centre.
    Mind you I don’t know why I was surprised as on my way home I walked past numerous people standing on pavements talking close up without masks, I passed the cemetery and there was a crowd of people all standing around with no social distancing and few masks and then to top it off I walked past Markievicz Park which appeared to be opening up and again people standing outside on top of one another- no masks and no distancing. What happened to Sligo - the figures were so low during the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Bear in mind hardly anyone was wearing masks during the frst few months of the pandemic when we were posting some of the lowest rates of infection in the state. The official mantra back then was that social distancing was the only effective measure in preventing spread of covid 19.

Could it be that masks have actually contributed to a false sense of security in people?

I've always suspected that Tony Holohan was wary of pushing for mandatory use of masks for that very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That's not a top 5 you want to be in.

EqvxLRuXUAIOUEi?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Thanks For Forks Sake. Any chance you could post up the links. I've only been able to access out of date tables that aren't worth a fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Thanks For Forks Sake. Any chance you could post up the links. I've only been able to access out of date tables that aren't worth a fork.

Here's todays, follow @gavreilly on Twitter, he updates each day as new figures are released (usually round 6pm)

Eq02MTtW4AEfq56?format=jpg&name=medium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Is there a reason Easons is open and allowed to sell books but Liber isn't?
    Seems a bit unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

marvin80 wrote: »
    Is there a reason Easons is open and allowed to sell books but Liber isn't?
    Seems a bit unfair.
    They sell newspapers whereas Liber doesn't I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Basq wrote: »
    They sell newspapers whereas Liber doesn't I reckon.

Last time I thought Easons were allowed to open because they were classed as stocking essential items for schools but sure they are all closed this time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

wasnt the thing with the library closed because the virus can live on books and papers for up to 72 hours and if they got books back/returned they had to wipe them and put them out 72 hours later - and yet Easons and the like can let any tom dick or harry go in with god knows what on their hands and touch the books and read the papers and put them back on the shelves?

I am presuming you still get the ones in there picking up newspapers from the shelves ... reading them and not buying them still, or have they stopped that now?

Guys I've moved the last 4 posts from the general chitchat thread to here where they will be more at home. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭iamnotme

That's not a top 5 you want to be in.

EqvxLRuXUAIOUEi?format=jpg&name=medium
    Apparently No1 in world now! Stories in international media. Because all the Irish thought that, whatever about other people, my darling can come home from London for Christmas. because they're special, and important, and immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭loki7777

iamnotme wrote: »
    Apparently No1 in world now! Stories in international media. Because all the Irish thought that, whatever about other people, my darling can come home from London for Christmas. because they're special, and important, and immune.

So where is now the deadly flu that people were taking vaccine for every year? Gone?
    Trust what you see in tv/papers and your life will be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭T-Bird

The deadly flu has been dramatically reduced as a result of social distancing, using hand sanitiser and wearing of masks etc. Australia was one of the first countries to note this in their winter.

A lot of people, including people in my family are saying that there is a conspiracy and this thing isn't real. There is no access mortality as flu has been replaced by covid deaths. I'd imagine that the deaths would be far higher if we were not taking any precautionary measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭iamnotme

loki7777 wrote: »
    So where is now the deadly flu that people were taking vaccine for every year? Gone?
    Everybody's life may have been easier if all the little darlings hadn't ran out of SE England and ran home to mammy. They self-isolated? For two weeks? Did they F. They were all Typhoid Marys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FamousDave

loki7777 wrote: »

I suppose you've been 'doing your own research' on YouTube and the like?

Advertisement