Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Where can I get a mask pls

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I have contributed nothing to this thread but have read most of it. Today I quietly (so as not to panic my kids) bought lots of tinned food and other non-perishables, lots of hand sanitizer, strong hand soaps, surface cleaning sprays, several packets of those Vitamin C fizzy tabs and other general multi vitamins. I'll pick up some other bits and pieces tomorrow.

We will use it all eventually so I feel better being prepared for the risk of a quarantine situation, self-imposed or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

WHen someone sneezes on a plane

tenor.gif?itemid=6035256

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

fr336 wrote: »

As far as I know most places are sold out of them, sure, improvise, I've got a few bandannas, so will just use them as masks, even just a good scarf around your face would do. Saying that, the masks are supposed to be worn by the infected so they don't spread it, just parctise not touching your face, keeping your distance from coughing people, wet wipes or alcohol cleanse and wash your hands loads.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I was reasonably relaxed about this with the understanding that the virus was most dangerous for newborns, elderly or those with pre-existing conditions (so like a common flu), but what has unnerved me is the fact that a few of the doctors which seem to have been killed by the virus in China were young and presumably healthy - in their late 20's and early 30's. Surely they should have been able to fight it off? They got the best care possible I understand.

I really don't want to go over the top with this but the WHO talk of Disease X really isn't helping on that front. You would swear they want us to panic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

5 cases now in Kuwait in a just a few hours - is it gonna blow up there as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Pharmacies or hardware stores ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I have contributed nothing to this thread but have read most of it. Today I quietly (so as not to panic my kids) bought lots of tinned food and other non-perishables, lots of hand sanitizer, strong hand soaps, surface cleaning sprays, several packets of those Vitamin C fizzy tabs and other general multi vitamins. I'll pick up some other bits and pieces tomorrow.

We will use it all eventually so I feel better being prepared for the risk of a quarantine situation, self-imposed or otherwise.

This is what we have been doing. Adding oat milk, noodles, pastas, frozen veg (we have some space luckily), black bags for waste, loo roll, box of latex gloves, hand soaps, nappies too as well as Vit C, paracetamol and Nurofen/Calpol for the wee lad if needed.

Would love anyone elses suggestions, a lot of those 'survival' lists get intense.... Like yourself its all stuff we will use eventually anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think the situation will get alot worse in countrys like north korea,
    where they have very basic health care and they cannot expect to get much help form western countrys re importing medicine or equipment like mask,s or gloves .Alot of chinese people travel across the border to north korea to smuggle illegal items
    that are not sold in north korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

fritzelly wrote: »
    5 cases now in Kuwait in a just a few hours - is it gonna blow up there as well?

That knocks the it doesn't do well in warm weather scenario out the ball park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

pc7 wrote: »
    Also in Italy they are testing huge numbers, so anyone the sick people came into contacted with they are testing. With more testing means high numbers, if a country isn’t testing it means low numbers .

Very valid point
    When Italy started running all these tests they discovered positive people that had been in hospital all along and hadn't been tested. And one was dead already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Am in involved with a food business, today the truck from the asian market arrived. Normally loaded to the gills with deliveries for many of the Asian restaurants around Dublin, today it was nearly empty except for our order. The virus is already having an effect in Ireland on business without even one case, can imaging the panic mode some will go into when we get a string of cases, people will go ape ****.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I was reasonably relaxed about this with the understanding that the virus was most dangerous for newborns, elderly or those with pre-existing conditions (so like a common flu), but what has unnerved me is the fact that a few of the doctors which seem to have been killed by the virus in China were young and presumably healthy - in their late 20's and early 30's. Surely they should have been able to fight it off? They got the best care possible I understand.

I really don't want to go over the top with this but the WHO talk of Disease X really isn't helping on that front. You would swear they want us to panic!

It kills anyone of any age just older people are more likely to be weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BanditLuke wrote: »

It's around 25c this time of year in Kuwait. Not hot by any means.

When it gets to between 32 and 40c it could be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Did a big shop for my family & parents- flour, yeast, butter, cheese etc and loads of long life stuff that we can get by on like noodles, pasta, beans, toasting muffins, nuts, chocolate, rice etc. The freezer has about 1.5 weeks of food in it as I’m an avid batch cooker. Got a few funny looks with my trolley this afternoon but sure look, it will all get used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Not really those people could have contracted the virus anywhere. If there is a number of outbreaks with people with no contact with areas outside the country then it may prove the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

ZX7R wrote:
    That's not weird that is just how Tesco delivery works

It most definitely is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

J Mysterio wrote: »
    what has unnerved me is the fact that a few of the doctors which seem to have been killed by the virus in China were young and presumably healthy - in their late 20's and early 30's. Surely they should have been able to fight it off? They got the best care possible I understand.

Is the health system in China very good at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It kills anyone of any age just older people are more likely to be weaker.

Yep and possibly smoking could be a risk factor too.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It's around 25c this time of year in Kuwait. Not hot by any means.

When it gets to between 32 and 40c it could be very different.

No 25 is hot. Put it this way how often does it get past 25 in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Kuwait bans all flights to and from South Korea, Thailand, and Italy - they aren't taking any chances
    Pretty much guarantee at this point that all the Middle East countries have cases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

"Shares of American biotech firm Gilead Sciences rose 4% Monday after an official from the World Health Organization said that Gilead's drug remdesivir is showing signs that it may be able to help treat the deadly coronavirus"

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/24/investing/gilead-sciences-coronavirus-who-remdesivir/index.html

Study on the drug:

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/02/12/1922083117

laurah591 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a good article outlining what we know in Italy? Within 3 days, we have gone from 3 cases to over 200 with 7 deaths; This seems a very rapid deterioration. I note all deceased (RIP) were elderly with a number suffering and in treatment for Cardiac issues, Cancer etc. Do we know how many of these people were in ICU prior to contracting the virus (possible to contract whilst in hospital? Or were these rapid fatalities due to virus?
    There is a further 23 in critical/serious in Italy; again do we know if the virus is a secondary infection re the primary casue of being in ICU. If anyone has seen a good article re same - can you point me in that direction.

Thanks

Just saw it on the Italian news right now, one hospital apparently didn't follow the right protocol, lots of elderly got infected there

The 7th victim was 62 with pre-existing conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Suggest you try searching for 'AF27' on google etc. These Japanese masks are reportedly good for down to pm 2.5, although some virus/virii are smaller.

You are wasting your time in an Irish pharmacy - which is one of the worst pharmacy systems in the world. Not unlike the HSE. Limited range of products, bureaucratic gov controlled, high priced racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's viral load, those doctors were massively exposed for prolonged periods and immune system compromised through lack of sleep and stress. It's kind of a disgrace really what we expect doctors to do, like sending the smartest person in your class to study their entire life and sacrifice having kids etc, take out loans only to be sent off to a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Its not that hot in Kuwait in February. Only a high of 22C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Should we been thinking about cancelling any unnecessary travel abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

5555555555 wrote: »
    Pharmacies or hardware stores ?

Pharmacies are out of them for weeks now

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Should we been thinking about cancelling any unnecessary travel abroad?

Honestly yes
    Any country in Europe is affected by now, except maybe the Nordics, maybe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

On the 9 o'clock news tonights expert has just said in Ireland, the capacity to deal with a large outbreak is not there. Asked about what people in Ireland should do, he started giving stats from China. Bizarre

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement