Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

His Dark Materials.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Looks really nice the daemons look not quite real and not quite Detective Pikachu, that teaser will probably be used as a recap it had so many pivotal scenes, 32 days and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Must stop thinking she's X-23! I mean.. I'm still expecting her to mess people up.. just that her name will be Lyra and her claws will be Polar Bear sized :)

Secret Commonwealth is horrible so difficult to read it's depressing on purpose. I'm just over a third of the way through after a week that's not good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I keep forgetting about this book. That's not great to hear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sunday November 3rd
    It's getting the 8pm slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I really enjoyed this tonight - I thought the casting was spot on, Roger & Lyra particularly. Beautiful sets, and I liked that the air transportation while as fantastical as my imagination allowed, wasn't as super duper as the movie. Why, though, tells us everything that's coming up ...hate that, it kind of takes the wind out of it for me. But yes lovely. The BBC are really making great drama at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Pretzill wrote: »
    Why, though, tells us everything that's coming up ...hate that, it kind of takes the wind out of it for me. But yes lovely. The BBC are really making great drama at the moment.

yeah, i usually switch stations whenever a 'next week, on...' bit comes on. as I did today, then switched back, caught the last 30 seconds, and was sorry i switched away. It's a while since I've read the books, but it's hardly going to spoil it on me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I really enjoyed this. I thought it looked beautiful and the casting seems excellent. Whatever happens, it's already better than that butchered film. I'm really excited for the rest of the series, and I'm glad it's going one episode per week and not back to back or a quick run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

airship reminded me of SpaceX Starship 1 on its side...

_109017503_056905378.jpg

Forgot this was on am looking forward to watching it later today now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Haven't read the books, would it be recommended before watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I watched with two non-readers and they were hooked.

I enjoyed it but still not sure about some of the casting. Roger is the head off Marty Morrissey and I'm just not sure about Lyra at all. Hopefully she grows on me. Can't wait for next week, anyway.

As an aside, I finished The Secret Commonwealth last night. Whoooooo, that was a slog. Not because it's a bad book, but because it's so dark/depressing. And I thought La Belle Sauvage was hard going.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭shanmo

Other than bbc, can this be watched anywhere else?

HBO if you are in the states?

Solid first episode if not spectacular. Liked most the casting choices.

The one major disappointment I had was the lack of daemons on screen but this was always going to be an issue die to the need to keep within a tight enough budget.

Not sure what BBC were doing when they decided to show a preview of the entire season at the end. Seems to be something they do regularly.

Did anyone catch the name of the official podcast they advertised over the closing credits? I can't seem to find any reference to it elsewhere.

Secret Commonwealth was horrible I'm gonna try reading it again though really hope book 3 comes out next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I have enjoyed Secret Commonwealth actually more than La Bell Aauvage but they are definitely aimed at an older audience.

Regarding the show:

I enjoyed that more than I thought I would. I had VERY high hopes but as it got closer I began to have doubts. I was burned by BBC's limp "War of The Worlds and Good Omens just fell flat for me for some reason so I was hopeful but on the fence.

I thought the casting was great: As with the movie, I found Lyra's posh accent a bit jarring: It is of course right - She is a Lady. But I just never read her as having a posh accent but that's on me.

I was initially a bit reticent about McEvoy as Azriel. Thought he was a bit slight for the role and the clips released previously seemed to show a more.... gentle?... Azriel with Lyra. I hoped that they were taken out of context and thankfully they were: He is just as charismatic and ruthless as in the books.

Ruth Wilson as great as Mrs. Coulter. Had it been made years ago I always imagined Catherine Zeta Jones: Beautiful but cold.

I enjoyed the rest of the cast too: Lord Boreal, The Master, John Faa and Farder Coram. I thought they were all fantastic. Given the kind of Victorian vibe of the books I read them all as white but that was just me and they are all great actors (I'm really looking forward to seeing more of John Faa).

Production values were great. Their daemons were fantastic without being in your face. Credit sequence was a bit too much like Doctor Who for my liking: Making it seem like it was for a younger audience only. But that's a minor gripe.

I am still on the fence about Lee. Say what you want about the movie but Sam Elliot was PERFECT as Lee.

As there are non-readers here let's keep spoilers tagged, OK?

And to the non-readers: What did you think? What did you like/not like? Any non-spoiler questions we can answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Really enjoyed this last night, the production values are fantastic, you can really feel the HBO money. A bit torn on whether to let the kids watch it or not as with the HBO involvement I'm wondering are we going to see some of their trademark "sexposition" in later episodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Sleepy wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this last night, the production values are fantastic, you can really feel the HBO money. A bit torn on whether to let the kids watch it or not as with the HBO involvement I'm wondering are we going to see some of their trademark "sexposition" in later episodes!

I would doubt it. It would go totally against the tone of the books. And there is no real place to add it without it sticking out like a sore thumb. I would be EXTREMELY surprised if they did anything like that. Plus, they were "Childrens" books (Even if the Book of Dust trilogy is for adults there is still no TnA in them).

Certainly the BBC know it should be suitable for all (Even if people don't want to watch it it should still be suitable for all).

Plus it's on @ 8PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Will this be repeated anywhere missed first episode???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sleepy wrote: »
    They don't seem to be quite as free with co-productions. There's also a big market in non-traditional shows for them. As others have said the broadcast time makes it more family friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

S.M.B. wrote: »

Did anyone catch the name of the official podcast they advertised over the closing credits? I can't seem to find any reference to it elsewhere.

His Darker Materials, Spotify only but you don't have to be a subscription holder.

I enjoyed the episode, really looking forward to seeing how it pans out. I re-read the books last year, i enjoyed tge first book much more than the other two, so I'm curious to see if that will be the same for the series. The one thing I can see being an issue is Lyra's age, the actress is 13 but she already looks 14/15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think the podcast is "Obsessed With... His Dark Materials".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Didn’t think the first episode was great.
    I’m not sure if this book is suited for the screen. There is a bit too much going on in the books, and tv/film struggles to capture it, and it’s maybe too posh/intellectual and not enough violence/battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

You should definitely read the 3 books, they are fantastic.
    Going by episode 1, this tv series is junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You should definitely read the 3 books, they are fantastic.
    Going by episode 1, this tv series is junk.
    IMO! :P That seems to be a minority view but you could expand on that so people can see why. As a non-reader I thought it was great. It looked terrific, set up the story decently and IMO has a good cast, especially the lead girl. That's enough for me to come back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm probably wrong, His Darker Materials has the guy who plays The Master and went up straight after the episode Aire so I assumed it had somw official tie-in. It wasn't great anyways, can't say I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Will this be repeated anywhere missed first episode???

+1 had a quick scan through BBC listings and couldn't see it.

Ah yes, I think this is the one they mentioned as they said to find it on the BBC Sounds app. Looks like it's a special 'His Dark Materials' episode of the 'Obsessed With...' podcast as opposed to a new stand-alone podcast.
    FunLover18 wrote: »
    His Darker Materials, Spotify only but you don't have to be a subscription holder.
    And I stumbled across this last night while looking for the above and this is more what I was hoping for. Shame it's a Spotify exclusive, even though I'm a premium member, but I subscribe to it anyway. I've a soft spot for Helen O'Hara. I used to converse with her quite a bit when I was a regular poster on the Empire Magazine forums back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ollie103

Unfortunately it’s probably only available for repeat viewings on the BBC iPlayer... which we can’t access in RoI... geoblocking etc. I’ll gladly be corrected!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The geoblocking can easily be worked around with various VPNs but you'll need to do some research as to which ones work with it. Can't say any more on here as don't want to get boards.ie in trouble!

Advertisement