Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instant pot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So, I'm about to take delivery of one of these tomorrow.

It will be replacing a slow cooker I have had for a while, and used extensively.

Quite the gadget I believe, sautpressure cook, slow cook, rice cooker, yoghurt maker, and a range of other things I'll prob never get around to using:P

I imagine (but am open to correction) that quite a few of us grabbed one of these from Amazon when it was reduced on black Friday.

So, like the long standing and very informative slow cooker thread, I hope this one will attract others who have owned one of these for a while, and they can share any tips or tricks that have on getting the most from it.

Also, any useful recipes that we can fall back on when running out of ideas and innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Too late!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057774745

I’m tempted by the smaller one but I’d need to get rid of my smaller slow cooker to have room for it.

Ryath wrote: »
    Too late!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057774745

I’m tempted by the smaller one but I’d need to get rid of my smaller slow cooker to have room for it.

Oops, never seen that other one.

Mods can lock this one up if they want so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Threads merged.

I’ve had an instant pot for the past few months and I’m distinctly underwhelmed by it. It’s good for sushi rice, and I cooked a stew using a lump of frozen diced beef in under an hour once, but overall I haven’t been sold on it.

The Facebook group raves about cooking whole chickens in there, which I tried and it came out looking exactly like you’d imagine a steamed chicken would. Nothing like a glorious roast bird! Plus I found it more faff than just bunging the bird in the oven. Twice I’ve had a burn notice and that was a completely bloody nightmare!

I feel like it works very well for busy people who aren’t huge fans of cooking. I’d like to get more use out of mine so I’ll keep an eye on this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

BEANS!!!! beans beans beans beans beans. Picado mexican's black bean recipe is top notch and you can sub in pinto or any other beans (AFAIR ~25min on high if soaked)

DAALLLLLL, but do your tarka in a proper frying pan. Takes no time at all. (ten min on high, ish)

Vegetable soup, yeah I know you can do it on the stove, but like, 10min on high and it's perfect. (over blend it, like, whenever you think you've blended it enough, blend some more)

And tomato sauces, for ten mins on high you get an all day flavour.

• Advertisement

Made a curry in mine tonight, first time using it (properly, cos spuds don't count)..

Sauteed diced onion, garlic, ginger and a jalapeno, then threw in some diced chicken thighs, added some tomato puree, cumin, paprika, Chilli Powder, ground corriander and turmeric, then mixed well, then a bit of water - and some of the spuds I didn't get around to finishing last night, not only cos I like spuds with a curry, but because they're great for thickening sauce.

Let it pressurise, nine minutes - then "keep warm"....

Stirred in some chopped coriander.

I had to nip out then for an emergency at work, so it "kept warm" for another 3 hours.

No pics, but was a great curry. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Instant pot feeding the masses 9 adults and two kids today!

3 cups of basmati rice to 6 cups of water. 7 mins high pressure then NPR (well almost, released slowly after 5-10mins). Note we don't like al dente rice so this was perfect for us and didn't go to mush

Balsamic Beef from here. I didn't have the bell pepper and tripled the carrots so I didn't need a veg side too. Every plate was wiped clean of this. Served with chopped potatoes in the actifry

Chicken Curry. Didn't really us a recipe for this but it came out great and again wiped plates. Used about half a bag of frozen onions, chunk of frozen ginger and garlic, full bag of frozen butternut squash with two heaped TBSP curry powder and 2 heaped Tbsp of peanut butter powder. About a cup of chicken stock mixed with that. Pinch of crushed chilli and some coriander. Then did 10 mins pressure cook on that. The butternut squash dissolved to thicken the sauce up (that was my goal). Added 1kg of diced chicken and stuck back on high pressure for 6 minutes. It stayed on warm for a good hour. It was gorgeous. I'd probably add a touch more chilli but I was cautious with so many not fans of strong curry.

I have two liners which makes this much easier. When one is on NPR I had the next one lined up

Did a meatloaf in mine earlier, wrapped it in tinfoil, and put on pressure for 20mins, let it depressurise naturally, what came out was the moistest meatloaf I ever had, definitely doing that again.

Will be doing beef stew in it later this evening for to be eaten at dinner time tomorrow, I'll get a few pics of that.

Debating on whether to brown the meat in the frying pan or sautode on the IP.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Did a meatloaf in mine earlier, wrapped it in tinfoil, and put on pressure for 20mins, let it depressurise naturally, what came out was the moistest meatloaf I ever had, definitely doing that again.

Will be doing beef stew in it later this evening for to be eaten at dinner time tomorrow, I'll get a few pics of that.

Debating on whether to brown the meat in the frying pan or sautode on the IP.....

Oooh, meatloaf recipe please!

rawn wrote: »
    Oooh, meatloaf recipe please!

Bought it from the local family butchers. :o

• Advertisement

Bought it from the local family butchers. :o

Oh right :) I used my pot a lot last year but only twice this year - I need to start using it again! I made pulled pork last week, 60 mins on high pressure, it was perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

After a few false starts, I've just put in an order via amazon.co.uk for an Instant Pot Duo V2 6Qt at £59.99. It's being touted as a 'last minute deal'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made a nice lamb stew in mine last night, and finished it off in the oven with dumplings. Apparently you can do dumplings in the pot, but I can’t see how you’d get a crispy top.

It wasn’t any tastier or easier than a normal stew, but the beauty was in time. I used frozen chunks of lamb neck, sautéed the frozen block of meat for a couple of mins, then sautéed the onions and garlic, deglazed the pot and put everything back in. 30 minutes on, NPR for about 15 minutes and frozen blocks of tough lamb had transformed to fall-apart meat.

After a few false starts, I've just put in an order via amazon.co.uk for an Instant Pot Duo V2 6Qt at £59.99. It's being touted as a 'last minute deal'.

Pretty sure that's the one I have, and I paid €150 or thereabouts for it 2 years ago!

Faith wrote: »
    I made a nice lamb stew in mine last night, and finished it off in the oven with dumplings. Apparently you can do dumplings in the pot, but I can’t see how you’d get a crispy top.

It wasn’t any tastier or easier than a normal stew, but the beauty was in time. I used frozen chunks of lamb neck, saut the frozen block of meat for a couple of mins, then saut the onions and garlic, deglazed the pot and put everything back in. 30 minutes on, NPR for about 15 minutes and frozen blocks of tough lamb had transformed to fall-apart meat.

I tasted mine last night, though it won't be eaten until this evening, but after just 45mins cooked on the pressure settings, allowed to depressurise naturally, then stirred in cornflour/water mixture while I let it sit on saute mode.

As above didn't taste any different from an 8hr slow cooker job, but in fairness getting 8hr tender stewing beef in under an hour is the main attraction of it.

But man it was HOT burnt the esophagus right off myself on the way down:p

Quite an easy meal to knock up though.

Sauteed stewing beef in two batches and set aside, then sauteed chopped onion, minced garlic cloves X 4, roughly chopped carrots and a couple of teaspoons of mixed herbs, salt and pepper.

Back in with the beef, 2 tbsp of tomato puree, 2 X tbsp of Worcester sauce, can of tomatoes stir well.

In with about 8 rooster potatoes chopped up into inch chunks, then about 250ml of beef stock.

Close her up, pressure setting, and 45mins once it pressurised.

Photo's later when I get back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thank you for posting this. I've had one on my Amazon list for ages and this is the best price I've see it. Just ordered one.:D

Has anyone ever tried making a coddle in theirs? Would it turn to mush?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Has anyone ever tried making a coddle in theirs? Would it turn to mush?

I haven't tried but you could reduce the cooking time a lot to prevent the mush. Potatoes take about ten minutes to do so I would say it would only ten minutes.

Instant pot beef stew. **Prob half of it missing in this photo, as the mother in law just left with a Tupperware container full of it**

IMG-20191209-172927.jpg

I take back my earlier assertion that it didn't taste any different than slow cooker stew, after sitting down and having a big bowlful, the beef was utter melt in the mouth stuff.

IMG-20191209-180523.jpg

I'll be making more of that one.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I’m thinking of trying my Christmas Pudding in it.

The recipe I’m using takes 4 hours in a normal pot of simmering water on the hob, however, we’ve moved and I no longer have a gas hob. The new hob is induction and my giant pot that I use for puddings isn’t induction compatible. :(

Would anyone have any idea how long I should put it in the instant pot for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Toots wrote: »

There's an IP pudding recipe here that is very popular in the IP UK Facebook page. You could follow it for the method if you have your own recipe
    https://www.everynookandcranny.net/instant-pot-christmas-pudding/

And a trouble shooting guide here:
    https://www.everynookandcranny.net/christmas-pudding-troubleshooting-guide/

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks! I’ll give that a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Toots wrote: »
    I’m thinking of trying my Christmas Pudding in it.

The recipe I’m using takes 4 hours in a normal pot of simmering water on the hob, however, we’ve moved and I no longer have a gas hob. The new hob is induction and my giant pot that I use for puddings isn’t induction compatible. :(

My MIL has been making her puddings in a pressure cooker for years, don't know the timings though.

I'm definitely planning to do the ham in mine, anything you can set and forget on Christmas Day is a good thing.

I tasted mine last night, though it won't be eaten until this evening, but after just 45mins cooked on the pressure settings, allowed to depressurise naturally, then stirred in cornflour/water mixture while I let it sit on saute mode.

As above didn't taste any different from an 8hr slow cooker job, but in fairness getting 8hr tender stewing beef in under an hour is the main attraction of it.

But man it was HOT burnt the esophagus right off myself on the way down:p

Sauteed stewing beef in two batches and set aside, then sauteed chopped onion, minced garlic cloves X 4, roughly chopped carrots and a couple of teaspoons of mixed herbs, salt and pepper.

Back in with the beef, 2 tbsp of tomato puree, 2 X tbsp of Worcester sauce, can of tomatoes stir well.

In with about 8 rooster potatoes chopped up into inch chunks, then about 250ml of beef stock.

I assume the veg was pretty soft after that length of cooking?

loyatemu wrote: »
    I assume the veg was pretty soft after that length of cooking?

Soft but still retaining a bit of bite, like the spuds and carrots weren't mush if that's what you're wondering.

Dam near perfect would be how i would describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Soft but still retaining a bit of bite, like the spuds and carrots weren't mush if that's what you're wondering.

Dam near perfect would be how i would describe it.

How long did you set it on high pressure for the stew JD? Im making one in mine for the first time tmw and was looking at a few recipes. Some recommend putting the whole lot in together for 30 mins on high whereas others say to do the meat for 15 then add veg/spuds for the final 15. Think I'll just whack the lot in and use the instant pressure release so the veg/spuds dont continue cooking. Want to avoid mushy veg/spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Just used your instructions as my very first instant pot recipe.
    Its just finished the 45 mins..
    Now what do I do? Its showing L0005 now...
    Should I just leave it or do I do the mad thing with the steam release?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

vidapura wrote: »
    Just used your instructions as my very first instant pot recipe.
    Its just finished the 45 mins..
    Now what do I do? Its showing L0005 now...
    Should I just leave it or do I do the mad thing with the steam release?

Go for the pressure release and test the spuds & meat for done ness once its over. Do not open the lid until the little white valve has fallen down and make sure to do the release under an extractor fan as a lot of steam comes out.

After that you might want to stir in some cornstarch and put it on saute for a few minutes to thicken the gravy. Also a good time to throw in a few handfuls of frozen peas too.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Do not open the lid until the little white valve has fallen down and make sure to do the release under an extractor fan as a lot of steam comes out.

if the pin has dropped then the pressure is already gone.

In general you can either do a manual quick-release - i.e. as soon as the pot beeps, turn the release valve; this will produce a lot of steam

OR you can do natural release - i.e. leave it on the keep-warm setting after it beeps until the pin drops (for most dishes, if the pin hasn't dropped after 15 minutes you can then manually release, but check what the recipe says). The L00:05 is counting up how much time has passed since it beeped.

• Advertisement

I did a Biryani loosely based on this recipe over the weekend, turned out really nice. The lamb which can be a bit tough when boiled in a curry or casserole, was meltingly soft from being steamed with the rice.

The main change I made to the recipe was to increase the amount of rice, as I don't know on what planet 185g of rice is enough for 6 people. I also skipped the grilled onion garnish.

My quantities were 600g diced lamb, 400g basmati rice, the spice measures in the recipe x 1.5, and I also add a couple of chopped peppers. Highly recommended, everyone loved it.

Advertisement