Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

**Why you should insist on RGI. when working with gas**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

DGOBS wrote: »
    It's like the lottery

A cert 3 is €2 plus vat .

Quite a few RGI's that have sprung up around me seem to have reduced their call out charges and in order to bump up the charge now charge anything upto €50 for a cert 3, i honestly have no problem with them charging for certs, after all, membership to the RGI club comes at far more than €2 +vat, freebies are ok if your flat out doing gas all day every day but i believe there should be a reasonable fixed charge for all certs, printed on the cert, remember! RGII charge us in order to cover their cost.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

My view of this differs somewhat from yours. The customer is not buying the cert (there is no requirement for them to have one unless a landlord)

It is me who is providing a cert as a declaration of the gas works I have carried out to standard, the cost of which is included in the bill, not marked up, as I cannot legally carryout these works without providing a cert, of course overall running costs are included in pricing of which RGII membership is one of many.

Dear RGII, can you clarify reg 7.3.1 of IS 813 for me please.

Yes, Gary, you can ignore that one if you want.

I just hope someone has told the coroner if say someone died due to a opened flued boiler not fitted in accordance with gas regs, but then what are the chances of that happening.

I got the hump now as I don't if I should cap the boiler or not, Rgii are telling me capping the boiler is over kill and silly, but the regs dosn't allow for gasmans discretion, what could be the right call now could change in the future leading to a prosecution under the same regs I'm being told to ignore:mad:, I should of been a train driver it's only forwards or back and I could use a coin to figure that one out.

The advise is not worth the paper it was written on, email them and see what changes when pen is put to paper.

How does any regulatory body have a right to tell you to ignore the standard?
    And as we discussed today, albeit overkill, it was introduced for 'good' reason as per fire escape routes.

And given that was the advice, I think RGII should now clarify to it's members what parts of IS813 and !949 we should work to
    and what "in their opinion' we should choose to ignore. How is anybody supposed to work safely in this industry with this kind of idiotic approach going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Is that new or existing boilers :D:D:D:pac::pac::pac:

I'v a got a headache, as a snap shot in time the boiler is safe and I'm happy to leave it on in this particular situation, but the regs don't allow me or the inspector to have a openion, they clearly state this type of installation is not acceptable :confused:

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Is that new or existing boilers :D:D:D:pac::pac::pac:

Bearing in mind you want a outdoor sensor from me, do you think ridiculing me on a public forum is the best way to go about it?

Apology accepted;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

gary71 wrote: »
    Bearing in mind you want a outdoor sensor from me, do you think ridiculing me on a public forum is the best way to go about it?

Apology accepted;)

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Another example of death by stupidity, very sad

A self-employed builder has been fined £75,000 and ordered to undertake community service after work he carried out on an elderly couple's home resulted in their deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning.
    Mohammed Jamil had been contracted to carry out work on the garage roof at the home of husband and wife Donald and Rosetta O'Sullivan in Leyton, between 14 February and 31 March 2009.
    The Old Bailey heard last week (20 July) that Jamil was paid to raise the roof of the garage, but did not take into account the effect this would have on the safety of the gas appliances within the property.
    An investigation by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) found that in raising the roof, Jamil enclosed the flue of a boiler, leaving it in a dangerous and unsafe condition. As a result, the couple suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and were found dead at their home on 21 April 2009.
    Had the flue not been enclosed, then the deaths could have been avoided.
    Jamil, also from Leyton, pleaded guilty of breaching Regulation 8(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 for his failings in relation to the deaths. In addition to the £75,000 fine, he was ordered to pay £25,452 in costs and handed a 12-month community order requiring him to undertake 150 hours of community service.
    After the hearing, HSE inspector Kevin Smith said: "This was a tragic incident that resulted in the unnecessary deaths of a retired couple in their own home as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. Today's prosecution graphically illustrates the dangers of builders carrying out work without considering the effects on gas appliances. The builder failed to comply with the standards and regulations relating to gas fittings, which resulted in work that left flues in a dangerous condition, and allowed a colourless, odourless, silent killer to enter the property."
    Paul Johnston, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said: "In the right hands gas is safe, but badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning."

http://www.hvpmag.co.uk/MemberPages/article.aspx?id=1533

• Advertisement

gary71 wrote: »
    I got the hump now as I don't if I should cap the boiler or not, Rgii are telling me capping the boiler is over kill and silly, but the regs dosn't allow for gasmans discretion, what could be the right call now could change in the future leading to a prosecution under the same regs I'm being told to ignore:mad:.

Due to my own ignorance I got that absolutely wrong, there is plenty of scope for discretion in IS813 when dealing with some identified hazard, you only have to cap if your in the mood you may decide not to cap say if you have to get home early coz you have a date with a sexy lady, luckily I always have time to cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mutha

Is there an closed RGI forum anywhere? Like they have on the Uk ones where only those that are gas registered can post?

No, as that would require forward thinking by RGII, and they tend to reactive at best, not proactive

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

Mutha wrote: »
    Is there an closed RGI forum anywhere? Like they have on the Uk ones where only those that are gas registered can post?

there will be very soon but it has nothing to do with rgii ,- will be rgi's only .will post here when i get exact details of it .

TO MODS: would boards.ie be interested in hosting it???
    would require a login to view, and would have to be based (and confirmed) on rig registration to gain entry?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

TO MODS: would boards.ie be interested in hosting it???
    would require a login to view, and would have to be based (and confirmed) on rig registration to gain entry?

Sounds like a good idea & can be easily done.
    Here is the place to ask. Its all based on the support it gets so you need to be passing the word & getting those +1s.

+1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not here. Ye need to start a thread in the forum I linked to. All the +1s need to go there.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

KoolKid wrote: »
    Sounds like a good idea & can be easily done.
    Here is the place to ask. Its all based on the support it gets so you need to be passing the word & getting those +1s.

I believe that is only for public forums. I think DGOBS is looking for a private hosted forum.

I'll look into it.

Thanks Micky

• Advertisement

Yeah, would have to be private to work

I have spoken with many RGIs who are after this, as it could develop into a technical database for them, and I had planned in developing it early next year
    at the safegas.ie website, but would much rather swerve the expense and hassle!

I cant see there being a problem getting it set up here. Lets see what Micky comes back with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

Sounds like a great Idea. I've no problem with genuine guys looking for help.. however I'd hate it turn into a goto for guys who haven't a clue and who don't want to know/learn just want the answer to a problem.

Yes and no, at least the guys who hadn't a clue, will begin to learn the basics of fault finding by reading about the specific boiler, and may learn how to do things in a proper manner.

That's grand for the guy who doesn't have much knowledge but WANTS the learn more it's a super idea. I'm talking about the guy who doesn't want to but wants the answer and cash and is out the door in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

Ok, the forum is a go. Should be operational by tomorrow afternoon.

great

I would never refuse to give information to an RGI to help.

I'll be looking after it until its set up properly, charter, access list etc.

Once we get a few in we can chat about the above in more detail. In the meantime feel free to pm me for access/ suggestions.

• Advertisement

I would never refuse to give information to an RGI to help.

I think you missing the point im trying to make.

Advertisement