Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you give your cows treats?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Treppen wrote: »

Yes. Any sweets, buns or bread etc lying in the jeep from petrol station stops, go straight to closest cow at barrier when I'm cleaning jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I just used to keep dairy nuts in my pockets , so when I went to check on them ,they'd be keen to come follow you ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I give one particular pet cow (Daisy) lots of treats - she is particularly partial to over ripe bananas that the local shop keeper gives me for taking away. I try to restrict her to one a day but she always wants more :)

She and a few others like out of date bread/buns/cake/apple/rhubarb tarts and cabbage, turnips, carrots, apples, raw & cooked potatoes, stale wheatbix/cornflakes.
    Apologies the pic is sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

I use sugar beet to feed to my cows which they can't get enough of. When there's broken bits around the yard I'll pick em up walk over to the barrier and get it to the nearest cow interested. Problem now is when I walk trough the herd they gather around me tongues out wanting more. They have become extremely placid won't come out of the way/won't walk forward ...maybe there seeing more of me now because of the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I gave my cows this evening off !!!!,first evening of oad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

My cows get treats every day better feed than myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

When they're in for the winter I pick a fist of strong grass from the nearby field margin and they go mad for it. Other than that they're better than the hens for eating potato skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Treppen wrote: »

We grazed a cow for an older person this year the cow was almost 20 years old and a bit of a pet, she loved bread the mother was giving her a bit every day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

The irony of this thread on the same page as the Vegan thread.

Some lads are feeding their cattle treats while also apparently “raping them”.

The internet really is a mad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not so much food treats but they love a help out with a scratch.

https://youtu.be/zE6O0GpxpkI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

893bet wrote: »
    The irony of this thread on the same page as the Vegan thread.

Some lads are feeding their cattle treats while also apparently “raping them”.

The internet really is a mad place.

I've got some sweeties in me pocket dearie

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Not to mention the war.

But did you know Oreos are vegan?

To answer the OP I should probably be including 'treats' when calculating intakes.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭emaherx

Not to mention the war.

But did you know Oreos are vegan?

To answer the OP I should probably be including 'treats' when calculating intakes.:o

Not according to oreo though :D
    https://www.oreo.co.uk/faq
    Oreo wrote:
    No, OREO have milk as cross contact and therefore they are not suitable for vegans

But hardly matters as cows aren't vegan anyway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 iconicon

ivy

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Cabbage leaves and spinach. An odd Kale leaf that the slugs get at too. I reckon it's the nearest thing to heroin for them. When they see me walking up from the garden all the heads come out over the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

No

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Maybe not treats as such but even in the summer most Stock here would get a handful of meal regularly.
    Bring It in the same white bucket all the time.
    Cattle come to you every time they see you and are happy to follow you mostly anywhere. It’s been the biggest change in cattle handling on this farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Suppose this time of year silage does get boring after a while even for a cow anything different is gonna welcome. Imagine eating nothing but weetabix everyday over and over ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

_Brian wrote: »
    Maybe not treats as such but even in the summer most Stock here would get a handful of meal regularly.
    Cattle come to you every time they see you and are happy to follow you mostly anywhere. It’s been the biggest change in cattle handling on this farm.

Do the same here too. Awful comfort when all you have to do is call them and they will all come running to you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

_Brian wrote: »
    Always call them even if they are right next to you when you are feeding them ,makes the association

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

K.G. wrote: »
    Always call them even if they are right next to you when you are feeding them ,makes the association
    I always chatter away to them when herding/putting up feed. OH could be in another part of the yard and often ask me who I was talking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Do the same here too. Awful comfort when all you have to do is call them and they will all come running to you.

Exactly how I do it too. I work long enough hours without coming home and running around after cows and calves. I hand feed the cows now a small bit of nuts here and there when i'm feeding the weanlings with the same yellow bucket that my father used. Then during the summer all i need to do is call and they will come. This really helps for AI too.

I will be trying the bread as we dump a loaf a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I reckon ours would stage some sort of coup if I didn't give them apples/bread/nuts & .....croissants :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Exactly how I do it too. I work long enough hours without coming home and running around after cows and calves. I hand feed the cows now a small bit of nuts here and there when i'm feeding the weanlings with the same yellow bucket that my father used. Then during the summer all i need to do is call and they will come. This really helps for AI too.

I will be trying the bread as we dump a loaf a week!

I've a cousin that is working, land rented everywhere, heaps of cows and bad facilities. He rang me the weekend to come and meet him with the calving Jack. Had a springer down with a dead calf half out calving with a long tíme. Got him out but the cow died soon after, he said he couldn't get close enough to them the last day he was in to see if there was any springing. There was 20 more there absolute lunatics with the run of over 100 acres. They are herded (counted) twice a week at most and are absolutely daft, he rounds up a heap of people to try and gather them and it often doesn't work on the first day. I was trying to tell him wouldn't he be better off if he brought a bag of nuts in twice a week with him and spend a few minutes talking to them while they are eating and he would have a manageable bundle of stock that wouldn't head to the far corner of the place every time they seen someone but I might as well have been talking to the wall. When he does manage to get them into a yard then it's like something out of the wild west.
    I couldn't deal with the likes of that, same fella would be blowing about all the stock he has. I told him he was at nothing anyway. Too mean to buy a few bags of nuts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Does anyone else throw an extra shake of silage in front of the cattle on Christmas morning?
    Or is it just me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Does anyone else throw an extra shake of silage in front of the cattle on Christmas morning?
    Or is it just me ?

Mine have it adlib. But every animal gets some mail as a treat, they don't usually get any, any other day.

Or is it just me ?

My father was a great man for huge feed up to stock on Christmas morning. Everything nhad to get clean bedding as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Mine have it adlib. But every animal gets some mail as a treat, they don't usually get any, any other day.

Do you have to open all the envelopes?

Do you have to open all the envelopes?

Great tongues for licking envelopes though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement