Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What ELM got next!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

It’s like Russian roulette going into a multi-storey!!!
    unkel wrote: »
    Yes it's crazy wide. Wider than a Hummer. And that yoke was so wide because it was designed to drive in the same tracks as full size army trucks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

Yes it's crazy wide. Wider than a Hummer. And that yoke was so wide because it was designed to drive in the same tracks as full size army trucks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Smck1983 wrote: »

My local McDonald's drive through can only just about be done in a Model S. Wouldn't even think of taking the Model X through it. Or indeed to any Dublin city multistories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

Smck1983 wrote: »

The trick is to have the mirrors tilted down, disable all the useless proximity warning sounds and then apply the zero shame mode: small move forwards, then reverse and change angle slightly, then forward a bit. Rinse and repeat as necessary until you made it around the ramp. Do the same at the next ramp. After three ramps, consider abandoning the car there forever.

They used tape and cones to narrow the corner at the bottom of the ramp in The Park, Carrickmines recently while they were re-painting the road markings. I drove incredibly cautiously and still ended up with a car festooned with warning tape by the time I got to a parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

markpb wrote: »
    The trick is to have the mirrors tilted down, disable all the useless proximity warning sounds and then apply the zero shame mode: small move forwards, then reverse and change angle slightly, then forward a bit. Rinse and repeat as necessary until you made it around the ramp. Do the same at the next ramp. After three ramps, consider abandoning the car there forever.

They used tape and cones to narrow the corner at the bottom of the ramp in The Park, Carrickmines recently while they were re-painting the road markings. I drove incredibly cautiously and still ended up with a car festooned with warning tape by the time I got to a parking space.

Yeah that drove me mad

I stay out of most proper multi stories they aren’t worth the stress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

Cyrus wrote: »
    Yeah that drove me mad

I stay out of most proper multi stories they aren’t worth the stress

It's a pity there aren't more side and low sensors on the car to help you deal with places like that. The cars proximeter sensors are basically useless for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Proximity sensors are generally useless as they are too conservative
    I have no issues with my S in multi storeys beyond the crappy turning circle.

Then again, I used to drive a GMC Sierra 1500 and a Ford F250 into multi storeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

markpb wrote: »
    It's a pity there aren't more side and low sensors on the car to help you deal with places like that. The cars proximeter sensors are basically useless for this.

really i just want cameras where i can see my wheels, kerb marks are the devil :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

ELM327 wrote: »
    If I could find a buyer at the right price I'd bite their hand off.

534027.jpg

:D:p:)

Well spotted!
    Replied to your PM there.
    The "bite their hand off" comment was based on a mid to low 40's cash offer for a quick no hassle sale. As you may have seen from my other posts I'm not going to bother advertising on donedeal etc until I have to, which wouldnt be for a few months.

• Advertisement

Not sure why you spent €4k on it if you're going to sell it! Or did you only decide after the car was fixed?

Most of it was for stuff needed for the NCT anyway, I wouldnt sell it without the NCT or with suspension work needing doing.

Thought it was good to revisit this thread. I'm glad I didnt sell it in the end as I'm still enjoying the car.
    I recently got the MCU2 upgrade at the reduced 2k price including FM tuner, as the issues got worse and they wouldnt fix it. Even with me paying for the fix.

Having spent €6k all in , since November '20, I've committed to Severus until November '21 at least. If I manage to make it that far it will be the longest I've ever had one car.

PS: If you're on the fence about getting the MCU2 upgrade DOOOOO it, it's like a different car. And I only have AP1. If you have AP2 or better, you get the FSD computer and visuals too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ELM327 wrote: »
    PS: If you're on the fence about getting the MCU2 upgrade DOOOOO it, it's like a different car. And I only have AP1. If you have AP2 or better, you get the FSD computer and visuals too.

I think the cohort of used S owners here are a bit too tight to pay €2k for that upgrade, well I am anyhow, enjoy though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

slave1 wrote: »
    I think the cohort of used S owners here are a bit too tight to pay €2k for that upgrade, well I am anyhow, enjoy though!

I’d pay it if I would see the benefit. I haven’t even got AP1 so the benefits to me would be very small in my opinion.

Ap1 you have some benefit (as all Ap1 cars have the MCU1) in that it is preventative.
    AP2 and greater, you have much more benefit as if you have paid for the upgrade and FSD, you get the HW3 computer installed at the same time, free as part of the FSD/
    AP0 you wouldnt have much benefit as MCU0 doesnt have the excess logging that MCU1 had, (in terms of AP functionality, AP1 doesnt gain anything from this update either), but you get the games, netflix, quicker responsive clearer screen etc.

To be honest, if I had an MCU0 car I wouldnt do it, I think it made sense in my MCU1 failing car at 2k, and if I had FSD and AP2 or greater, I'd have gotten it done on day 1 at 3k.

So I've done all the work/upgrades now that I was planning, except for one. The 11->22kW AC dual charger upgrade.
    This would have been of huge benefit during the before covid time where I have 6* 22kW at work for free. Now, and after covid, I'll likely only be going to the office the odd day so I don't see the benefit as much.

Prospective cost was 2k.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think it's wise to hold off on that, I realise there is a convenience/backup element to the dual chargers but I don't feel the €2k is worth it, also with eCars removing so many 22kW AC chargers the likelihood of use diminishes.

I think if I were keeping the car indefinitely I would do it now. But I know I probably wouldnt be able to do that!

+1 to slave1

22kW is nice to have but I wouldn't pay more than €200 to get it. €2000 is madness in my book.

Enjoying some free 22kW charging at my local Lidl right now, BTW :pac:

• Advertisement

Thats the thing, how long does it take me to get 2k worth of free 22kW to make up for the cost :P

I've just done the sums for ya, 147.8 years.

May have an update coming for Severus soon.
    In other news, there are 3 cheap EVs for sale in Merlin's on friday and I've registered to bid.

Severus is sold?

What are the cheap EVs and how much do you expect them to be sold for?

He's not sold yet, havent taken a deposit, but have a good verbal agreement that suits everyone - one of those win win type of deals.

The cheap EVs in merlin's are of course leafs! 2 24kWh and one banged up l40.

Spotted them. The silver one is in poor condition, out of NCT nearly a year and badly degraded with high mileage. Shouldn't really fetch more than about €2.5k, the black one looks much better and has an NCT, maybe €3.5k or a touch more?

Yes, would expect quite cheap for the 3 leafs

I've received a deposit for Severus and am delighted to see him going to a good home, supporting a change to a 2 EV family.
    I think this thread helped sell him, as it was a great "service history" for potential buyers to see. I always documented positive, negative, neutral experiences honestly and that helped.

I will be taking a non EV trade in so I may use that as a run around until we move house and then get back into EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I wonder will the new owner do a thread about it ;)

What Big car did Al get? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What Big car did Al get? :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116817528&postcount=9
    BigAl81 wrote: »
    I'd a similar story as the OP trying to move my insurance today. All of the following would not insure a Model S online...

Aviva, Zurich, AA, AIG, FBD, , KennCo, Chill , Allianz, Quote Devil, Liberty, 25plus.ie, its4women.ie

I did get the following quotes tho...

€ 499 -- 123.ie
    € 822 -- Axa
    €1,300 -- Chill.ie via some company starting with X!?

I'm waiting to hear back from EVInsurance.ie

I rang my current insurance company (Aviva) and they told me as "Teslas are faster than a Ferrari Hurricane and will do 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds, they most likely can't insure me and will call me back in 48 hours".

Not much choice there, but happy enough with the 123.ie quote in the end.

Seems like some old Model S. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement