Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extractor fan venting into attic.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Having listened to the feedback here; and after looking at plans of the apartments, and found 100mm extraction fan vents on the side of building, I'm now pretty sure the 40mm pipe in the attic is a soil pipe.
    Sorry for the confusion, I was not even aware of soil pipe vents and assumed it was extractor vent.

Is a soil pipe venting into the attic space against building regulations, or just lazy/bad practise?

It's against regs. It should be out through the roof. It's meant to vent external to the building and above the top of the block line.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sonny liston

Ok thanks.
    Do you know if it would have been against regulations in 2007 when built?
    Is there any authority to complain to, force the builder to correct it?

Ok thanks.

2007! , go back a long long time for this pre 97 I'd say.

No idea. Who you can complain to tbh. Probably on your management company to fight this battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

Ok thanks.

1.2.2.12 If the values in Diagram 3 are
    exceeded, the branch pipe should be
    ventilated by a branch ventilating pipe to
    external air, to a discharge stack (modified
    single stack system), to a ventilating stack
    (ventilated system) or internally by an air
    admittance valve complying with I.S. EN
    12380: 2002 air admittance valves for
    drainage systems - Requirements, test
    methods and evaluation of conformity.

taken from part H building regulations TGDs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Looking into this a bit more after noticing a soil pipe vent on the gable wall of my own house. Is this pipe an air admittance inlet and not actually a vent at all? apparently these aid the draining of the system for flushing etc.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Looking into this a bit more after noticing a soil pipe vent on the gable wall of my own house. Is this pipe an air admittance inlet and not actually a vent at all? apparently these aid the draining of the system for flushing etc.

from description that is your vent system for the soil stack. I suppose you could say they aid draining due to air pressure, but thats not their primary purpose.

listermint wrote: »
    from description that is your vent system for the soil stack. I suppose you could say they aid draining due to air pressure, but thats not their primary purpose.

I'm just thinking when you pour water from a barrel if you pierce the end of the barrel when pouring it'll poor out easier so makes sense there would be an air inlet at the highest point.

I'm just thinking when you pour water from a barrel if you pierce the end of the barrel when pouring it'll poor out easier so makes sense there would be an air inlet at the highest point.

no i got it, and technically its correct. But consider the system isnt necessarily pressurised and all your neighbours systems are vented if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You have been behind water to aid draining and to prevent siphoning the water from all your other traps.
    It also stops gas build up.

listermint wrote: »
    no i got it, and technically its correct. But consider the system isnt necessarily pressurised and all your neighbours systems are vented if that makes sense.

It's not actually mine I'm just spit balling ideas :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I did this very job today in my own house, birds had gotten in and damaged our Flexi pipe before we bought it.
    It's a veyr simple job with the right access, get a few metres of the flexipipe below and run it from the extractor fan to an exterior wall or roof vent.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/manrose-pvc-flexible-ducting-hose-white-3m-x-100mm/18232

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

MicktheMan wrote: »
    I doubt the extractor fan is very good in the apartment below.

Its probably a cheap Manrose extractor fan which was put into most apartments built in 2005/2006.

Most developers back then put in the cheapest of materials and charged skyrocket prices for apartments in the celtic tiger boom in the early to mid 2000's.

Advertisement