Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

November Round the World Fantasy Watch Competition

• 15-11-2020 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭

Please vote on your preference below the rules were :
    Click Photo for a bigger version.

5 watch collection
    5 manufacturer has to be from 5 different countries
    Price limit: €20k
    All watch asking price from Chrono 24 in Chrono 24 euros.
    EU countries only and UK in Chrono24.
    Prices at time of entry.
    In the case of a tie closest to the 20k wins.
    Entries before 15th November.
    Poll Closed on the 29th November
    Gentlemen please dont vote for you own collection

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Favourite 5 piece collection 27 votes

Entry A
    77% 21 votes
    Entry B
    11% 3 votes
    Entry C
    7% 2 votes
    Entry D
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Voted!

A lot of (deserved) Seiko love this month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭893bet

This month just high lighted to me how uninterested I am in anything non Swiss or German.

No Stowa or Nomos love surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Though everyone would have a seiko and Panerai. I had a sturmanskie in mine to bring the price down but never got round to entering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I love the fact that there are Sea Gulls and Vostoks here, as well as the usual suspects.

Have developed a new fascination for VC too.

Voted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm actually surprised that LIP 50 Fathoms is "only" 6500 quid. Half of what they once were.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised that LIP 50 Fathoms is "only" 6500 quid. Half of what they once were.

Well if it's anything like a Renault 18/4/20/16/12/5 it's still expensive.:p

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

blue5000 wrote: »
    Well if it's anything like a Renault 18/4/20/16/12/5 it's still expensive.:p

Reminds me of something I read recently about French military gear.
    The French copy noone, and noone copies the French

They have gotten far better in recent times tho :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Bump vote vote vote people

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

voted!

Cyrus wrote: »
    voted!

Entry D is the winner with 10 votes well done blue5000

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yay! For a nice change I was on the winning side. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Cool, I went with D too. Nice collection, even with the sub :pac:

Wooden spoon for me ha - no Bvlgari love from the crowd here? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Thirdfox wrote: »

To be fair that watch is vile haha. I really liked the rest of your collection though. I voted for A myself.

I would have thought the Gerald Genta connection would have tugged at a few people's heartstrings:
    mtr_genta_09_0625_obr.y.50.505.cn.bd_01_1_688x688.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭893bet

redlead wrote: »
    I voted for A myself.

Your taste is faultless

Came onto my radar a little lately. Think Paul Thorpe did a video on it and it also popped up on another big channel. I think it’s nice enough but would never buy one.

Just wait then guys - I'll try to change your minds - didn't want to sway the vote beforehand but as well as making watches I am still buying watches too...generally stuff that Sólás couldn't possibly make (because of technical limitations) - think Zenith Defy Inventor/Lab-esque watches. Will have to something to post up on "WRUW today" thread soon...

Wibbs wrote: »
    Fitz II wrote: »
    Entry D is the winner with 10 votes well done blue5000

Thanks, you made my day, it must have been the LIP that swung it :D. I actually found this round pretty tough, it seems to be easier spend 100k of fantasy money than 20k of fantasy money.
    As Thirdfox says it is actually surprising what you can get for 20k, thanks to everyone who entered and voted, thanks to Fitz and Cienciano for putting this one together.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Thanks, you made my day, it must have been the LIP that swung it :D. I actually found this round pretty tough, it seems to be easier spend 100k of fantasy money than 20k of fantasy money.
    As Thirdfox says it is actually surprising what you can get for 20k, thanks to everyone who entered and voted, thanks to Fitz and Cienciano for putting this one together.

From the watchmen thread - I'm sure some people would look at this thread and think "spending 20k on watches!!!!???!?!?!?!? :eek:" - the same way as we might look at our UAE friend if he says "surprising what you can get for 200k"

Congrats on the win - 5 watches that can resist a chainsaw coming up next? :pac:

From the watchmen thread - I'm sure some people would look at this thread and think "spending 20k on watches!!!!???!?!?!?!? :eek:" - the same way as we might look at our UAE friend if he says "surprising what you can get for 200k"

Congrats on the win - 5 watches that can resist a chainsaw coming up next? :pac:

Thanks. Ya, 4 Casios for under a 100 quid, might allow 1 Seiko for a night out when the pubs open.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I would have thought the Gerald Genta connection would have tugged at a few people's heartstrings:
    mtr_genta_09_0625_obr.y.50.505.cn.bd_01_1_688x688.jpg

Sorry, but while I am a fan of Art Deco, that looks more like the floor indicator from a lift in the Chrysler Building than it does a watch.

Ahm oot.
    ;)

Forget price and purely looks, I liked your 2 cheapo watches at the end the most!

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Sorry, but while I am a fan of Art Deco, that looks more like the floor indicator from a lift in the Chrysler Building than it does a watch.

Ahm oot.
    ;)

Could be what they were going for (Chrysler building not the lift indicator ha) - someone else said it looked like weighing scales ha.

Just give me a few days to set up the camera for the Octo version I got - a beautiful piece (in my eyes) with lots of technical pizazz - not least because it is 5.15mm "thick" :eek:
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Forget price and purely looks, I liked your 2 cheapo watches at the end the most!

The Beihai is a beautiful piece and I heard from someone in the watch industry that they've stopped making the B-18(6) three quarter plate in-house movements (and are going to use Miyotas instead) so if you want an in-house movement from China that's worth "showing off" the Beijing Beihai is a good choice - you can see my mini-review of my version here (with hastily taken camera phone photos so not doing the finishing justice):
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106056918?

screwed gold(plated) chatons, blued screws, three quarter plate and swan neck regulator - someone who didn't know what it costs but knows watches would probably suspect it costs a lot more than it actually does.

blued screws, three quarter plate and swan neck regulator - .

Jesus Thirdfox, as per the rules of the Solas drinking game I had to take 3 shots there and its a Monday. :pac:

Gold chatons deserve a fourth shot I think! Hangzhou said no to chatons on the HZ5000 unfortunately (at least for now...) I've certainly not given up ha :pac:

Gold chatons deserve a fourth shot I think! Hangzhou said no to chatons on the HZ5000 unfortunately (at least for now...) I've certainly not given up ha :pac:

ArtisticAnimatedAmoeba-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement