Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying shoes online

Options
  • 19-11-2020 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I want to buy myself a pair of Columbia waterproof mens shoes in the Black Friday sale. I have bouht form them before and my size (45 EU) is a good fit. Many of the shoes are only available in 44.5 or 46 - would these be OK? Is it better to go smaller or bigger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I’m sure somewhere on the internet you can buy these in the right size that fits you. Why would you intentionally buy shoes that don’t fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

I wouldn't intentionally buy shoes that don't fit - what I am asking is if 0.5 of a size really makes that much of a difference. It is years since I had my feet measured, I normally ask for size 11 and try them on, but obv cant do that online. I know 45 is a good fit, I don't know if 44.5 or 46 is a bad fit.

I am also sure I can find another outlet that has them in the exact size, but I am not sure I can get the same sale price that is on the main website

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It's a tricky one and depends on each person, but for me I'd size down, especially as most shoes stretch a bit anyway with wear. Could you just buy both and return the pair that don't fit? Obviously inspect their returns policy, it might be different for promotional items.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I have bought shoes online before but I always stick to a type I have had before and the correct size that I know fits me.

If they are a real bargain and you can't get the 45s anywhere else I'd say go for the bigger ones. You can always put in insoles or wear extra heavy socks.

Get them too small and you are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

As it turned out, when I looked later the 45s were available - as I've had this exact shoe before I know it will fit. Thanks for the suggestions though

Funnily enough I measured my feet to see if I was a 45- or a 45+, and I measured 26.7cm heel to toe, which apparently is a size 9 (EU 43) ... now I know, for a fact, I could never squeeze my feet into size 9s :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

tombrown wrote: »
    Funnily enough I measured my feet to see if I was a 45- or a 45+, and I measured 26.7cm heel to toe, which apparently is a size 9 (EU 43) ... now I know, for a fact, I could never squeeze my feet into size 9s :)

Looked at that issue previously and decided not to buy online. The measurement guides seem to be for the exact length of your foot with no space at all. I normally wear a 46 or 47 depending on brand/style of shoe, guide was recommending 44!

Advertisement