Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liffey valley SC loads of units closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

messrs wrote: »
    Do you know what else is there? From what i remember seeing few months ago there were 4 units there and had seen signs for BK and KFC but didnt hear who else was going in

Sbarro pizza was planned and pulled out I think and Starbucks was 4th unit which is now open. So one left.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

anewme wrote: »
    Starbucks opened drive through near the Ark roundabout.
    ...and yet another reason to loathe Liffey Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

IMC Cinemas are closed for good in the Square Tallaght. I'd imagine a lot of Tallaght folk will go to Liffey Valley or Vue in Dundrum from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Ush1 wrote: »
    IMC Cinemas are closed for good in the Square Tallaght. I'd imagine a lot of Tallaght folk will go to Liffey Valley or Vue in Dundrum from now on.

Do you think some other cinema will go in there? cant imagine them letting it go to waste:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vue were on the acquisition trail but it would just end up competing with them at LV.

• Advertisement

Do you think some other cinema will go in there? cant imagine them letting it go to waste:confused:

Maybe but I can remember it being empty for quite a while when UCI closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe thats a pity. Hopefully some one maybe Omniplex or the ones who run Swords and the Dundrum cinema take it over.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Maybe but I can remember it being empty for quite a while when UCI closed down.

It was UCI from 1990-2010 and then IMC from 2012-2020
    It sat unused for a week short of 25 months

Stealthirl wrote: »
    It was UCI from 1990-2010 and then IMC from 2012-2020
    It sat unused for a week short of 25 months

I must be getting old, it was IMC 8 years but in my mind was still the "new cinema".:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Does anybody have any idea what's being built in the car park of the Liffey Valley Retail Park? Looks like a new unit is being constructed?
    Could it be the new smaller Decathlon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Its a Costa coffee going by the plans on sdccs website

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/Planning/Details?regref=SD19A%2F0212

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's in such a weird place. Right in the middle of road. Don't know why they didn't move it further up or back

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So the mass Arcadia walkout a few years ago would just have developed the same result now anyway. Only Wallis is left to go now.

L1011 wrote: »
    So the mass Arcadia walkout a few years ago would just have developed the same result now anyway. Only Wallis is left to go now.

Will stay till after Christmas anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Wallis store also to close!
    anewme wrote: »
    last ditch rescue plan to save the group, or what remains of it. That Wallis was one of the most profitable of the group, that’s why it was left there first time round. Family member will lose their job.

above posts are from May 2019 - long before covid was a word. That group was on life support for a long time. Covid just pushed it along and took it out of its misery

silver2020 wrote: »
    above posts are from May 2019 - long before covid was a word. That group was on life support for a long time. Covid just pushed it along and took it out of its misery

Not adapting with the digital age at the right speed is a huge factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Is that down where the new Burger King and KFC is?

Only places booming with the coffee shops

Trouble brewing there eventually with the obesity epidemic

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And remember folks, do not buy any gift cards / vouchers from any shops. Chances are the shop will be gone next month and the vouchers worthless...

unkel wrote: »
    And remember folks, do not buy any gift cards / vouchers from any shops. Chances are the shop will be gone next month and the vouchers worthless...
    That's a wild generalisation. In the greater scheme of things very few shops will close.

Even Arcadia is less than 600 shops in the whole of the UK and Ireland. A tiny tiny number.

But for security, buy them with a credit or debit card and you have visa/mastercard protection just in case

That's a wild generalisation. In the greater scheme of things very few shops will close.

Even Arcadia is less than 600 shops in the whole of the UK and Ireland. A tiny tiny number.

But for security, buy them with a credit or debit card and you have visa/mastercard protection just in case

Since when is 600 shops a tiny tiny number

If you said small that would be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Since when is 600 shops a tiny tiny number

If you said small that would be ok

there isnt a chance that there is only 600 shops. there must have been at least 50 minumum in dublin alone to do with arcadia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Not a chance would I buy vouchers for individual stores anymore. Not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Of course, but I just wouldn't take the risk. Give a present. Or give cash. Or if you must, give a one4all voucher.

Many people in Ireland have been stung with shop / restaurant vouchers in the last few years and chances are this year is going to be worse than any year before.

How safe is one4all lol

Owned by the State, indirectly (An Post). Not going to get more secure.

L1011 wrote: »
    Owned by the State, indirectly (An Post). Not going to get more secure.

you're two years out of date with your information.

Sold Nov 2018 to Blackhawk Network
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/an-post-sells-one4all-in-100m-deal-1.3692440

But just as safe as its part of a $60billion+ turnover company (Albertsons USA) that has about $2 billion profit a year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's a generic Liffey Valley voucher that works in all the shops there, that wouldn't be a bad option either.

Wouldn't cash be simpler

you're two years out of date with your information.

Sold Nov 2018 to Blackhawk Network
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/an-post-sells-one4all-in-100m-deal-1.3692440

But just as safe as its part of a $60billion+ turnover company (Albertsons USA) that has about $2 billion profit a year

That got less media coverage than I'd have thought!

They're also Central Bank regulated, something a single store giftcard isn't.

The Liffey Valley and mulitcentre ones are also regulated; they're operated by Wirecard, who have gone under but I believe that function is being taken on by Santander.

• Advertisement

I see the former Arc/Elms has reopened, but I managed to forget its new name by the time I'd driven past the Foxhunter, so can't find if it has any web presence

Advertisement