Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookmakers Bitch/Moan/Groan thread - See mod warning Post 1!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭funkhouser

Has anyone experience dealing with a bookie voiding bets because the price moved against them? Did you have any joy pursuing it?

I backed a Eurovision entry after rehearsals, they were slow to change a price, it came in from 66/1 to 8/1. They voided the bets claiming a palpable error. Clearly it wasn't an error, they were just slow. I've never had a stale price I've backed voided before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Kiara Odd Stammerer

funkhouser wrote: »
    Has anyone experience dealing with a bookie voiding bets because the price moved against them? Did you have any joy pursuing it?

I backed a Eurovision entry after rehearsals, they were slow to change a price, it came in from 66/1 to 8/1. They voided the bets claiming a palpable error. Clearly it wasn't an error, they were just slow. I've never had a stale price I've backed voided before.

Sounds like you backed the Azberjiggies also?
    Backed them last month, afaik it's still valid and holding on an accas.

AnpzCUs.png

Sounds like a poor excuse from the book (who was it btw?). Unless the price shift was within seconds of placing the bet, hard to justify any voiding.

It's not like the Masters, where someone makes a double-Eagle. It's a long drawn out novelty sing-song contest afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭funkhouser

Aye. Azerbaijan. SB. Their max liability was 3k so it's not an earth shattering amount. I'd just like them to stand the bet. I backed them at 95s a month ago on the Exchange too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭akelly02

Aye. Azerbaijan. SB. Their max liability was 3k so it's not an earth shattering amount. I'd just like them to stand the bet. I backed them at 95s a month ago on the Exchange too.

So they are gonna win then 😂

SB as in the Sky people? Also got Azer there, circa 2nd May (will have to check), slightly lower at @67.

No idea what what he did at rehersals, must have had fireworks coming out of his... Best price today 12/1. Don't think they'll win, but certainly top4, hence always e/w (4pl) on a mixed acca.

Any Exchange price should hold, afterall it's not Trader dictated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

They voided the bets claiming a palpable error. Clearly it wasn't an error, they were just slow. I've never had a stale price I've backed voided before.

I would assume they should have moved it to the correct price at the time, mind you the stars group have taken them over, and may not be up to scratch with things like this.

That decision to void than to correct the price, would be in your favour should you pursue it with IBAS, when it wins :pac:

On closer inspection, they are talking out there hole:

Time Skybet Azerbaijan
    11/05/2019 9
    11/05/2019 6
    11/05/2019 7
    11/05/2019 8
    10/05/2019 9
    10/05/2019 10
    10/05/2019 11
    07/05/2019 9
    07/05/2019 10
    07/05/2019 12
    07/05/2019 14
    07/05/2019 16
    07/05/2019 28
    04/05/2019 50
    27/04/2019 40
    23/04/2019 80
    15/04/2019 66

Their only conceivable argument is they meant to go 8/1 when it went 80's. This is not reflected in the market: https://www.oddschecker.com/tv/eurovision/winner/bet-history/azerbaijan#all-history

Correction to my earlier @67 on Azer, the accas were done (way, way) back on 15Apr, not early April, as cross-matched another placer to that date.
    Their site and reciepts are fairly useless (sky), too much clicking about and scrolling.

fFVC2KT.png

Agree, you should have a good case if you know the exact time & date, and can compare to the market at that time.

One issue however is, you said you went in (after) rehersals, which may be when the market reacted, possibly even within 5/10mins?

Haven't had to contact good old PPower in a fair while, but got a surprise when emailed them a query expecting a support ticket and so on.
    i.e. The email came back unanswered, as they now only offer telephone and messaging type support.

Fair enough, called them one evening, 10mins later with a looped automessage telling me to make a cup of tea?, hung up.

Tried the next day, got through after 5mins but ended up talking to a chap that sounded like he was in an Indian callcentre.
    Now I like Indian folks, but when I have to ask the lad to repeat everything he was saying it gets rather tedious.
    Issue still unresolved, had a go at the live messenger support thing the next day.

So discovered it takes a bit of clicking about and digging to launch the chat box (used to be 1-click).
    Hoping it wouldn't be a autobot-chatbot, thankfully it was a legible human.

So finally got nearer to a solution, turns out that they had my wrong mobile number at hand (and different from online 'my account' listed mobile number),
    the chap said it was likely a just 'typo'. An entirely wrong mobile number (not even close), all very strange indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I presume there will be a bookmaker on site in Lahinch for the irish open,if so does anyone know which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Well the latest thing to ruin the customer experience on Bet365 has gone live now.
    (The previous was adding 7 second buffer to their live streams:
    vs Betdaq https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XBeVyUxcxI)
    vs their own website (before removing IntExp access): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSfx2hoYxv8)

Betting history has moved to a microsite type setup and copy and pasting is not allowed.

I used to be able to quickly copy&paste: date/time, selection name, stake and odds, but now will have to type them all out one-by-one

On contacting them, they told me it was never possible to do this, despite the fact I have been able to do this on/off since 2010.

More than likely they will not be fixing either issue, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Having a very strange experience with Betway.

I've been using them for a couple years then out of the blue they asked for verification documents. I'm pretty sure I provided these upon joining but I let it go and provided same. They gave the documents the all clear which I thought was the end of it.

Then a while later they locked my account because I was "excluded". I got onto them and they said everything was fine and that they just had to temporarily lock some accounts due to new regulations.

They emailed me and told me the account was open again but worded it in a strange way to basically say this might be temporary and we reserve the right to lock it again.

The latest and final twist in this experience is that my account has now disappeared completely - as in no excluded message and that my credentials are simply not recognised.

I emailed them to say I've had enough of their bizarre treatment and will happily walk away, but that I wanted to some kind of coherent answer to what is happening. They responded by saying they've escalated it to their "operations team".

Anyone know what is happening here? I've tried investigating but all I could find was that they were temporarily blacklisted alongside other bookmakers for noncompliance.

Having a very strange experience with Betway.
    The particular issue seems to have something to do with the state gov in Kenya of all places, not sure it it has any relevance in the EU or knock-on effects anywhere else. One article says:

10 betting firms were among 27 firms, whose licenses were revoked by the Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i for non-compliance. SportPesa and Betin are among the biggest firms whose licenses have not been renewed by the government.
    The matter is currently in court, but there seems to be no end in sight at the moment over the stand-off.

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/sports/article/2001335829/betway-reveals-why-they-are-not-in-operation-after-getting-betting-license

Some of those African nations are having a very tough time with that industry, a developing nation with very little consumer disposable income, sure isn't the ideal place for it without very, very, heavy state regulation.

They sent me a generic responsible gambling email and the account is reopened. Think I'll close it, bizarre carry on where I wouldn't be comfortable transacting with them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Strange one today in Paddy Power shops.

The winner of the 2.45 at Galway (Mr Smith) had got in as a reserve, yet was NEVER entered in the Paddy Power markets in shop (on screens, or betting terminal etc) at any point before or during the race. They couldn't even put up the graphic for the result of the race for 20 minutes due to their error.

So basically nobody in the shop could have backed the winner, and yet Powers have said all bets stand on the race.

• It’s been a long time since I went looking back on transaction history on my PP account, is it really only possible to go back 3 months now? I though you could go back years, possibly even see your entire history since joining at one point? Very annoying as I want to check some profit/loss figure from last years betting and can’t now it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

It’s been a long time since I went looking back on transaction history on my PP account, is it really only possible to go back 3 months now? I though you could go back years, possibly even see your entire history since joining at one point? Very annoying as I want to check some profit/loss figure from last years betting and can’t now it appears.

I think maybe a year max at one stage though I do think everyone should be able to see their p+l with any bookie

If you email them they'll send you all the data though

Quick question - are Quinnbet and Bruce Betting linked?

Quick question - are Quinnbet and Bruce Betting linked?
    Do not appear to be (hard to say without full stakeholder list). Strange to see Bruce only has less than 2 dozen shops, but was established way back in 1977.

Quinn does not appear to have any bricks 'n mortar outlets at all, and a somewhat clumsy/heavy website looks to largely managed by 3rd party software.

In the future (or now in some shops) if you get refused service after winning too much, consider your face the reason.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058008385
    Facial Recognition Software (this will soon become a significant privacy issue across all outdoor and retail spaces).

The two easiest options are a scarf/tee with thousands of faces to overwhelm the camera or uv/i-red AdamAnt facial war paint.
    More complex solutions are available also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Didnt want to start a thread for this but does anyone know how this works. Ive a each way bet on Mane to be top PL scorer. It pays first 4 places, what happens if there is a joint 4th place, i.e two players on the same amount of goals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Didnt want to start a thread for this but does anyone know how this works. Ive a each way bet on Mane to be top PL scorer. It pays first 4 places, what happens if there is a joint 4th place, i.e two players on the same amount of goals?

Half odds, usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cheers so that would be a quarter the odds for each way and then half that again so an eighth, Ill get ridden if it happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone with Betfair - recently they've changed the layout of their website and its hard to use now😕

What were you doing backing ante-post if you were not prepared to lose your money?

Were you aware of the rules,if Lion na Bearnai won at half the price you backed it at would you be happy to take the lower price?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

Hey,

My antepost slip say 1/5 1,2,3 on lecky watson backed him 3 weeks ago.(powers)

Today they're paying 4th. do i get 4th?..it's worth 2.5k to me.. my only big bet this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I feel ripped off....

I don't normally gamble but with Cheltenham last week I had a little flutter through the PP app and managed to double my initial lodgement. It wasn't worth cashing out so I decided to leave it in just in case anything else was coming up.

Anyway, the other night I decided to put a couple of euro on the lotto. I picked ten lines at .10c each of 3 numbers in the Euromillions which pays 1500/1. I won and got my €150. Great! Except, when I looked at the actual odds of getting 3 numbers out of 3 out of a 50 ball lottery the odds are 19,600 to 1. To only pay out 1500/1 on a 19,600/1 chance seems to me like a huge rip off! Looking around, all bookies seem to pay the same on the lotto.

I have found the easiest way to explain tie situations is as follows,a 2 way tie full place. odds for half the stake,3 way tie 1/3 of stake at full place odds.A tenner ew on a 4/1 shot who is tied for the final place,half your tenner is a loser,the other half is a winner so you have a fiver at evens and get back a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Your calculations of 19600 are how many variables of trebles there are . But five numbers are drawn not three. Making it lower odds of getting the 3 numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭jacool

50C3 = 19600

5C3 = 10 i.e. there are 10 potential trebles from 5 numbers selected. The bookies odds then should be 1960/1 but 1500/1 gives them their margin.

If I could turn a 10c bet into €150 regularly, I'd be happy enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yes, I hadn't allowed that it's 3 from 5 numbers. I stand corrected and 1500/1 on a 1960/1 chance is a far more reasonable payout than what I thought the actual odds were.

Advertisement