Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Project Cars 3

• 03-06-2020 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

Bit of Beta gameplay here.

https://youtu.be/BNh3klfx2Rk

Hope these YouTube links work.

I had a hunch that they'd release it during this gen console life. Looking forward to trying it out very soon.
    Lots of folk saying it looks very arcadey, Ian Bell is assuring folk that the physics and ffb have been much improved, I see no reason not to trust him.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ian Bell said the same about the previous efforts, the man is an absolute BS-er.
    SMS are just unable to create sim ffb and physics, the arcade scene is where they belong and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Based on that gameplay it is an arcade racer , SMS + codemasters = arcadey racers.
    Ive nothing against these types of games , my issue with SMS and Ian Bell are his years of lies and their inability to make decent sim physics and ffb yet Bell keeps claiming they have the best this that and the other.
    Judgling by those tweets he hasnt learned.

Look at the magic reiza are doing with their engine with AMS2.

If indeed SMS are going down the arcadey route its a good move for them.

More gameplay, looks like Grid,Shift,Forza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

https://ie.ign.com/articles/project-cars-3-promises-to-be-more-democratic-welcoming-supportive

I'm gonna hold off until I've actually played the game before I form an opinion on it. It does look very arcadey though from what I've seen.

The trailer that they released hasn't done them any favours anyway. They're fighting an uphill battle now.

There is a big market for that type of game and considering the sim market is flooded now with proven dev teams SMS were never gonna break into that market.
    It will turn out to be good move for all parties.

The PC market is flooded you mean. We need all the sims we can get on console.
    If they've dumbed down PCars to cater to noobs then they're finished.

Yes my apologies this is true.
    For console players seeking sims its a bummer for sure.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Kunos keep ACC for the PS5. I think it'll die a death on current gen consoles.

Correct me if im wrong but there hasnt been any gameplay clips of console ACC yet?
    I watch Aris stream on twitch and when asked about console ACC stuff he doesnt really answer.
    Also rumours of only 16 cars on track? That would be terrible for an official GT3 sim but again i have not heard anything concrete either way.
    Hopefully it converts well over to console, its a phenomenal sim on PC.

No, no footage at all yet. There's a reason for that though I'd say.
    I really hope they just wait for the next gen but I'd say they'll do what SMS have done and go where the millions of potential customers already are.

This looks a lot more promising. Still needs the motion blur turned down and world movement lowered down to get it spot in though.

Hope is returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Picked this up on sale on PSN a few days ago and must say I'm really enjoying it. I know it didn't review well and there was a lot of disappointment that it went in a different direction to the previous games, but if you just take it for what it is, a Forza / Gran Turismo alike, it is done very well. It is a game not a simulator.

The handling is in a real simcade sweet spot of feeling like a simulation while still being a lot of fun on a controller, unlike the previous games which were undrivable. It's probably the most enjoying handling model of any racing game I've played in the last generation of consoles. The AI is solid in wheel to wheel racing too, making for very enjoyable races. There are circumstances where the AI completely falls apart mind you, its performance drops off a cliff in some weather conditions on some tracks, and there are some corners on some tracks where an AI car or two will occasionally clip a wall and just gets stuck there for the whole race.

The career mode reminded me very much of old school Gran Turismo, unlike the Forza games it's well balanced and not riddled with microtransactions so you actually care about your car and when to upgrade and when to buy, and each car has its own characteristics and personality, and you get a real sense of progression and achievement as you move up the ranks and into faster and racier vehicles. The weather and time of day systems are great, with it really affecting the way you drive, and things like puddles and dry lines forming in realistic ways.

It has its downsides, the game is riddled with bugs, everything from time trial modes showing incorrect sector and delta times, career achievements triggering even when you don't meet the criteria, cars being listed in the wrong class in certain UIs etc. None of them are game breaking but they're ever present and noticeable. And the graphics are really poor, but you start to see past that when you play for a bit. It feels like a solid base they could build on going forward, and maybe start layering some of the features of the previous games like proper tyre wear and pit stops back in.

• Advertisement

I was racing online last night with one friend and about 5 randomers and it was a fantastic nights racing if I'm honest.
    We were all using stock cars and had an absolute blast.
    Some of the car and track combos were excellent.
    If SMS can build on this and steer the ship in a better direction for the next game it'll be fantastic. If.

Advertisement