Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring lamb prices

Options
  • 10-05-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Ive a couple of lambs averaging 40kg, there is a couple 45kg anyone any idea what they are fetching in the marts right now or is the factory the best place for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

I sold some lambs in our local mart 3 weeks ago (ashford, Co.wicklow) average weight 41.5kg made €116, which was poor at that time. Sent some to camolin on Thursday just gone killed out at 19.83kg average and made average €118.49. Considering there was a price drop in the region of €0.30/kg in the factories between the tiem I sold the first batch and selling the second, its fair to say I done poorly at the mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Thanks for the reply Sako,im just hoping prices dont drop any more for next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

have 35 tagged

wouldnt be worth our while gong to the factory ( 90 Miles each way ) with half load so most likely give them to an agent will phone in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

jt65 wrote: »
    have 35 tagged

wouldnt be worth our while gong to the factory ( 90 Miles each way ) with half load so most likely give them to an agent will phone in the morning

What part of the country are you?

€6/kg + bonus for wed morn , waiting for another guy to ring back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Where did u get that quote? Anyone any idea what ICm navan are offering?

Also is Thursday the killing day in ICm ?

I'm waiting on tags from mullinahone - ordered them Wednesday afternoon and no sign of them today! I could have let about ten go for this morning if I had tags on time!!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭eire23

DK man wrote: »
    Where did u get that quote? Anyone any idea what ICm navan are offering?

Also is Thursday the killing day in ICm ?

I'm waiting on tags from mullinahone - ordered them Wednesday afternoon and no sign of them today! I could have let about ten go for this morning if I had tags on time!!!

Thanks
    Thursday and monday i think?

Did ya ever get them off cormac DK? I ordered tags of them last monday at 10 o'clock and they had them with me the next day. Great service in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

eire23 wrote: »
    Thursday and monday i think?

Did ya ever get them off cormac DK? I ordered tags of them last monday at 10 o'clock and they had them with me the next day. Great service in fairness to them.

Didn't know about cormac! Will check it out in future. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

In the mart tonight, I had 7 at 41kg, 112 Euro. Saw 10 at 44kg , made 118 euro. Pishing wet night here, think a good few lads didn't brave the wetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    In the mart tonight, I had 7 at 41kg, 112 Euro. Saw 10 at 44kg , made 118 euro. Pishing wet night here, think a good few lads didn't brave the wetting.

You were happy enough I'd say. Probably could have done with another 2 kgs but then the price will drop next week and you will have been no better off. Good to get the money on.

• Advertisement

happy enough, they were born about the 12th Feb onwards, got no meal except whatever they got for a few days in individual pens.To the field about the fourth day or so. Strangely the lambs at 44 kg looked far bigger than mine, looking at them in the pen afterwards, you would have said mine weren't more than 35, but scales said different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

happy enough, they were born about the 12th Feb onwards, got no meal except whatever they got for a few days in individual pens.To the field about the fourth day or so. Strangely the lambs at 44 kg looked far bigger than mine, looking at them in the pen afterwards, you would have said mine weren't more than 35, but scales said different.

Had 3 at 47kg - €120, slightly disappointed as sold similar weights in June for €125.
    Both sets had little nuts, make you wonder about early lambing

to be honest, hadn't planned to start lambing till Patricks day, but went on the hols and the boys broke out while we were away. Got away with it though this time, weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

to be honest, hadn't planned to start lambing till Patricks day, but went on the hols and the boys broke out while we were away. Got away with it though this time, weather wise.

I'd planned going earlier, but the girls knew better.
    Were you in the mart over the last few weeks, would the lambs of made anymore a few week ago?

first outing. talking to a lad who is in a producer group supplying Navan. They dropped their price two weeks ago by almost 7 euro a lamb, and suddenly found they had no supply. So they bought lorryloads in from UK.But when killed out, they were only about17kg. So then last week they were ring around looking for lambs and the price back up a bit. Hoors.

Sold lambs averaging 40kg 115 euro in the mart.

Sold 10 in mart 42kgs €123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Just wondering, lambs sold this time of year, how much would they be costing to produce inc feeding the ewe?

We started lambing the 25th of February, housed the ewes two weeks before lambing and generally let them out the day after they lambed so it cost little more than lambing late March. I havent added up the figures yet though Ill leave that to another day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Just wondering, lambs sold this time of year, how much would they be costing to produce inc feeding the ewe?

Sold lambs last week
    Averaged 19.6kg 117euro

Mine were expensive to produce. I didnt have adequate grass for em, so they got more ration that they should have. Around march time, when the lambs were starting to eat, i had feck all grass :(

I estimate the lambs ate ~18euro ration.

Like the previous poster, feeding the early ewes wouldn't be much different for me (than if they lambed late) they were fed a few weeks before lambing, in a week before lambing, and were out again maybe a week or less after lambing. But the weather was kind enough at the time I think.
    But not having fields enough fields shut up in enough time caught me :(

• Advertisement

sent 47 to factory yesterday morn

rang to day for weights

average 19.4kgs (this is a KO of 47.5% ) av price €117.60

EDIT. John posted while I was typing & drinking tae

agree totally we close fields in october onwards & even at that we have moved lambing dates well back into january

our area wouldnt be exactly noted fro early growth so it's vital to build up a bank of grass over the winter

remember one thing ...you need grass to grow grass during the short days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

remember one thing ...you need grass to grow grass during the short days

Yeah - would defo agree with this.

Also - if your fields are lacking, they'll grow grass ok in the summer, but come autumn they'll shut down.
    Seen it in a few here, vs ones that got fertiliser.
    i know am low in p, some got 0-16-0 in the autumn, some this spring. The ones that got the P in autumn had twice as much grass this spring as the others almost, an they were reseeded the same time... I was surprised at the difference between em.

agent rang earlier, factories can't source enough for this week's kill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well then they know what to do....!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mick.mcginley

we got e135 for 9 at average weight 53kg

we got e135 for 9 at average weight 53kg

good weights

Good to hear that. What price were thy quoting

sea12 wrote: »
    Good to hear that. What price were thy quoting

€6.10 to 21kgs

€6.10 to 21kgs

So they would max pay out of 128 excl Qa. You'd need every euro off it. But at least it's still over the 6 benchmark for another week or so.

• Advertisement

€6.10 to 21kgs

Where are you getting that?

Advertisement