Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Dunsany has had 27.0mm of rain to 1800 today which is its wettest day since Storm Francis on 25th August last year.

Your garden must be squelching :P

I went outside to test the squelch-ability and it's silent. If we get another deluge like today and Sunday the squelch will be back! Between Sunday and today we've had close to a normal July monthly total of rainfall - another 12mm is all we need for the monthly average. If this unsettled weather lasts another week or two 100mm for the month is well within target.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

Mount Dillon Weather
    Rain falling steadily for the last few hours
    Hose pipe ban isn't required yet this summer .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Celbrdge now...

31ed70d174305c07c678b7e37383b9db.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

fvp4 wrote: »
    Bbc weather more optimistic for mid to end July. Of course that could just be for them.

Then they say overall the rest of the summer is mixed.

Honestly. I hate august in Ireland. It could be the height of summer but mostly isn’t.

I absolutely hate August here too, so it's usually the month I go on hols somewhere to get away from it. It's basically autumn, the bad parts of autumn, maybe those Celtic calendars are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Little pointless but interesting fact, the sun is currently about 3 million miles further away from the earth than it will be mid winter. The Aphelion (what a great sounding word) was reached yesterday.

sun-distances.png?1

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭appledrop

I absolutely hate August here too, so it's usually the month I go on hols somewhere to get away from it. It's basically autumn, the bad parts of autumn, maybe those Celtic calendars are right.

Yep me too and yet what did I do but only go and get married in August. Of course it lashed rain on the day. We usually go away every year abroad to celebrate anniversary but Covid has put a stop to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

appledrop wrote: »
    Yep me too and yet what did I do but only go and get married in August. Of course it lasted rain on the day. We usually go away every year abroad to celebrate anniversary but Covid has put a stop to that.

Desperate to get away in August but looking very unlikely as I have not even had my first jab yet! The PCR test to come back to Eire is a pain in the h***e and putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Little pointless but interesting fact, the sun is currently about 3 million miles further away from the earth than it will be mid winter. The Aphelion (what a great sounding word) was reached yesterday.

Yes, it is 3.2% closer in early January, which translates to 7% stronger irradiance then. The southern hemisphere summer sun is that bit stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Horrible evening out dark overcast and cool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

esposito wrote: »
    Desperate to get away in August but looking very unlikely as I have not even had my first jab yet! The PCR test to come back to Eire is a pain in the h***e and putting me off.

I know several people trying their luck with flying from Belfast to avoid alot of the issues with Irish airports. I'm desperate to get away too and have now missed 4 trips to Spain between last summer and this summer. Hopefully by next summer we can all go on our holidays without any restrictions or questions. Until that happens I ain't booking flights anywhere.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    I know several people trying their luck with flying from Belfast to avoid alot of the issues with Irish airports. I'm desperate to get away too and have now missed 4 trips to Spain between last summer and this summer. Hopefully by next summer we can all go on our holidays without any restrictions or questions. Until that happens I ain't booking flights anywhere.

No flying for me either Gonzo. My husband is fully vaccinated but I won't be in time and no vaccine for children so we won't be going anyway.

Think I'll cry when I do eventually get to step off a plane and am greeted by that oven of heat you only get when abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

appledrop wrote: »
    No flying for me either Gonzo. My husband is fully vaccinated but I won't be in time and no vaccine for children so we won't be going anyway.

Think I'll cry when I do eventually get to step off a plane and am greeted by that oven of heat you only get when abroad.

Hoping to be in Spain end of month and can’t wait!

Hoping to be in Spain end of month and can’t wait!

Enjoy that feeling of heat hitting you while us poor suckers are stuck at home in pissing rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Torrential rain in Cork for the past hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

So that's it then. Summer is over again . It was short this year. You can set you clock by it every year . The minute the primary schools close it starts bucketing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Cloudy start in cork but get the feeling it will burn off quicker than what the apps are suggesting (this evening)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Down in West Cork for the week and it's been stunning for the most part. Every day has been the same. Cloudy start but by lunch time it has burned off and beautiful sunny afternoon and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Boards gets bad but the weather set to get glorious. Best spell of weather this summer ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good to be back 😎

Partly cloudy, 16.8c, north Dub

Great to be back. Hope everyone is enjoying the lovely weather. This weekend is likely to be the best weekend of the year, certainly the warmest. We're not talking about 2018 or 2013 level heat but mid twenties is possible for many places during the weekend and possibly on Monday as well. A few inland local spots could reach 27 or 28C across the southern half of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I hope it’s not a case of boards now being back and the models start to churn out garbage for next week. GFS of course has to be the first model to introduce a breakdown! Anyway glorious, sunny warm weather to look forward to over the next 5 days at least so let’s enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,974 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Morning started off like every other day this last week or so, overcast.

But clouds well cleared now and the heat is ramping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Just for fun, looking at the sunshine data, by July 12th at Dublin Airport, July 2021 was actually slightly duller than July 2020 up to the same point. However, yesterday's sunshine helped boost July 2021 to be 6 hours sunnier than July 2020 up to the same point. The upcoming fine spell should widen that gap significantly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

How ye all doing . You would miss the forum wouldn't you.😀

Feels warm here in Tralee at 18.8C, stubborn cloud again today slow to shift , had a misty night with the grass still a bit wet with no breeze to dry it but hey its dry and great for pottering around,

yeah looking very warm from the weekend into next week, hopefully most will get some sunshine. Getting the fans set up here, house being wooden frame can get very warm in these conditions. In general quite a dry outlook for most.

Wicked weather unfortunately in Germany with desperate loss of life and damage, just on to family on the Mosel near Koblenz, they are stuck in their village and expecting more heavy rain and very high water over the coming days, they are above high flood mark so that is something anyway.

Friday to Sunday appears to be the peak of this warm spell with temperatures getting comfortably into the mid 20s in many places away from far western and north-western coasts.

Friday will see temperatures of 21 to 24C in many places, a few local spots could reach 25C.

Saturday could well be the warmest day of this spell with temperatures widely getting to 25 or 26C. I wouldn't be surprised if a few local spots further south like Oak Park or Shannon getting to 27C or even 28C.

Still very warm on Sunday with temperatures similar to Saturday but maybe a touch lower with 23 to 25C generally. 26 to 27C still possible in the south-west.

From Monday it will turn cooler across northern and eastern areas as winds will switch into the north dragging cooler onshore breezes. Temperatures still fairly warm away from the north with temperatures generally 20 to 25C.

This spell of warm weather could very well be the best weather of this summer, we haven't really had a widespread spell of properly warm weather since 2018 so make the very most of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Another hot day in cork city. Car is reading 25-27 for the entire drive. Very heavy too, sweating! Lovely though! Have to go back to what I did in 2018 and only sleep under a sheet and have the fan on!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sweltering in South Mayo

No duvet for the next week or two :@

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Still cloudy here in Castlebar . Warm though!

Mostly cloudy here in Meath, some short spells of sunshine. Feeling warm 23C.

It's generally been a very cloudy July up to now with only brief glimpses of sunshine but sunshine should start to improve from tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

absolutely magnificent day in Dublin 5, blue skies sun beating down. 24 degrees. perfection.

Looks like another superb week of weather ahead. This summer really has been top drawer

Advertisement