Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Treats & hidden gems from Cork's ethnic food shops

Options
  • 20-02-2021 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Inspired by Owldshtok's thread in the Galway forum, I thought a thread to share hidden gems & interesting food in Cork's ethnic food shops might be a nice idea (and also a way to support small businesses in Cork?).

Wondered if anyone here want to share some ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really like Jia Jai on Cornmarket Street.
    Lots of dim sum in the freezers. Great noodles, rice. Fresh Asian veg. Spices and sauces.
    Very friendly in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

+1 for Jia Jia, bit cramped in there though. Was just in there today to get some of the frozen gyozas. Sensasian out in Ballincollig is very good too, great selection and they make their own heat and eat takeaway stuff. For Indian spices etc, it's hard to beat Spicetown in Bishopstown for price and selection. Very nice people in all three places too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I love Jia Jia too. The snack section is brilliant. They have a big range of nissin noodles. And frozen thin pancakes for duck pancakes.

Mercury eastern European supermarket is a great spot too. In the summer we got watermelons we could barely carry! Loads of great beers. Huge cured meats section. I find them quite good for things like polenta as well.

Yup, if it wasn't for Polish shops, I'd really struggle to find polenta.
    They're good for cherries in season, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Polonez by the back of Woodies is brilliant, they have a fantastic meat counter (always busy) and a great range of chilled and frozen food, very clean and reasonably priced, it’s my favourite of all the Polish/Eastern European food stores. I bake a lot and find they have a wide range such as fresh yeast, spices etc at a much cheaper price than the Irish shops.
    Also, I 2nd Spicetown in Bishopstown for Indian sauces and spices. They also do amazing frozen naan bread at a fraction of what you would pay in Irish supermarket and taste just like you would have in a restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

Polonez by the back of Woodies is brilliant, they have a fantastic meat counter (always busy) and a great range of chilled and frozen food, very clean and reasonably priced, it’s my favourite of all the Polish/Eastern European food stores. I bake a lot and find they have a wide range such as fresh yeast, spices etc at a much cheaper price than the Irish shops.
    Also, I 2nd Spicetown in Bishopstown for Indian sauces and spices. They also do amazing frozen naan bread at a fraction of what you would pay in Irish supermarket and taste just like you would have in a restaurant.

Polenz in Blackpool is a great shop too, staff are good for meal tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

The tins of chipotle chilis in adobe sauce from mr bells have been a revelation to me.
    https://mrbells.ie/product/especia-chipoltes-in-adobo-sauce-215g/

Really spicy & smoky, its was the missing magic ingredient in my chili con carne for years

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

gooseman12 wrote: »
    The tins of chipotle chilis in adobe sauce from mr bells have been a revelation to me.

Really spicy & smoky, its was the missing magic ingredient in my chili con carne for years

Mr Bells also do dried chillis - chipotle, ancho and others. Quite hard to source in general, and while I struggle to call them cheap, they do seem quite reasonably priced compared with UK supermarkets when i was able to source equivalent in London.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Agreed!

Mr Bells have really upped their game in terms of mexican food.

Try these corn tacos. Very tasty.

IMG-20210120-155054.jpg

Probably the hottest chili sauce I ever tasted. Lovely fresh ginger aroma but blistering hot. Green habanero. For serious heat lovers only.

I used to buy it in that Indian shop on Bridge Street, does that still exist?

chilli.jpg

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »

chilli.jpg

Yes, it's still there.
    Another around the corner on Cogburg Street, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Agreed!

Mr Bells have really upped their game in terms of mexican food.

Try these corn tacos. Very tasty.]

I always buy my mexican stuff from picado in dublin. Didnt know they had started selling corn tortillas.
    Good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Didn't know this place existed, nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Some great suggestions on this thread, keep them coming.

I really like the Italian deli on Forge Hill, it has a small selection but everything I've tried has been really good.

Has anyone tried:
    • The Turkish shop in Wilton
    • Promo Eastern European supermarket on Vicar's Road

Also, I 2nd Spicetown in Bishopstown for Indian sauces and spices.
    I spotted a similar-looking place on South Douglas Road, any good?

Has anyone tried:

Promo Eastern European supermarket on Vicar's Road

I have been to Promo a few times. Very well stocked, they have the Dimdinkaposta Stewed Sauerkraut that i love. Comes in a little bucket and is incredibly moreish. They also have a few different kinds of Milk Kefir which is handier than making it yourself.
    The Turkish shop in Wilton

No and i'm surprised i havent seen it as i live around there. Tell us more!

I really like the Italian deli on Forge Hill, it has a small selection but everything I've tried has been really good.

Delitaly on Marlboro street is a lovely Italian deli too.

Very nice lemon biscuits, I can't recall the name, and also this pre-grated pecorino is lovely (I use it on soup):

IMG-20210114-113307.jpg

They also have a fresh meat deli counter for freshly cut pancetta etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Promo sounds good, I must make a visit. The Marlboro Street Italian deli is very good too. The Forge Hill one is probably better for dry goods like pasta, sauces, rice and wine.

The Turkish shop is on Summerstown Road: https://goo.gl/maps/VnqpCuy8t3VHmBRD7

I've walked past a couple of times but have never gone in. It's a bit nondescript-looking from the outside.

Thanks for the tip. I have actually cycled past it a few times myself too but thought it was just a normal estate corner shop. Will check it out and report 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Very nice lemon biscuits, I can't recall the name, and also this pre-grated pecorino is lovely (I use it on soup):

Ah yes, that place is fab!

Iago's, I know is well known for italian bits, but they alsohave a shelf at the back with cans of spanish staples, like Spanish Piquillos Peppers (6 euro, but there must be 30+ big roasted peppers jammed in there. Little cans of chillis (about 2 euro a can). And small cans of olive oil. Those big peppers are perfect for stuffing and sticking in the oven for a few mins. Goats cheese, tuna, sausagemeat, whatever you fancy. Or, I have them as a layer in sandwiches too.

They stock preserved lemons in there too, which can be hard to get here. Those are often listed in north african recipes like tagines.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Place near the entrance of North Main St Shopping Centre, no idea what the name is. Small little place but very good selection South Asian ingredients. Whole spices and blends and sauces. Handy spot.

• Advertisement

Bassfish wrote: »
    Place near the entrance of North Main St Shopping Centre, no idea what the name is. Small little place but very good selection South Asian ingredients. Whole spices and blends and sauces. Handy spot.

They tend to have a good selection of fresh veg there, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Bassfish wrote: »

Try the fig jam some day with cheese, it’s heavenly. Iago’s is one of my favourite shops in Cork, amazing selection of goods in there including fresh pasta and sausage.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Thanks, bought a few tins of it to try it in my chili con carne.

Thanks, bought a few tins of it to try it in my chili con carne.

They do carry a level of heat, in addition to the smokiness.

You can try chopping them, or maybe blending them, just be careful before you chuck the whole can in!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

They do carry a level of heat, in addition to the smokiness.

You can try chopping them, or maybe blending them, just be careful before you chuck the whole can in!

Thanks, good to know. I would have chucked in the whole can :D

My Mr. Bells delivery arrived this morning. very fast service from them.

I threw in half a can of the chipotle chilis in tonight's dinner, strong stuff. My nose was running a bit eating it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

They're run by the same crowd. Its where I go for all my pizza toppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

pwurple wrote: »
    Ah yes, that place is fab!

Iago's, I know is well known for italian bits, but they alsohave a shelf at the back with cans of spanish staples, like Spanish Piquillos Peppers (6 euro, but there must be 30+ big roasted peppers jammed in there. Little cans of chillis (about 2 euro a can). And small cans of olive oil. Those big peppers are perfect for stuffing and sticking in the oven for a few mins. Goats cheese, tuna, sausagemeat, whatever you fancy. Or, I have them as a layer in sandwiches too.

They stock preserved lemons in there too, which can be hard to get here. Those are often listed in north african recipes like tagines.

Red pepper in a sandwich is savage

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

Spanish shop near carrigtwohill
    https://www.heartofspain.ie/

Cork Oriental Supermarket Dalton avenue

• Advertisement

scuby wrote: »
    Spanish shop near carrigtwohill
    https://www.heartofspain.ie/

Iberian Way on Douglas Street used to be a great Spanish deli a couple of years back, before they transitioned to a tapas cafe.

Canned mussels in escabeche, fried tomato and onion sauce in little cartons, bonito del norte tuna, fresh breads...

Do they still have a deli section, or closed now?

Advertisement