Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

sample answer for comparative texts

• 06-06-2004 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

anyone know any sites where I can get sample answers for the comparatives?

im doing wuthering heights, a doll's house and a room with a view.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Skoool.ie have a sample answer for a comparative, not sure if it covers your texts though. I think that's pretty much the only place you'll find a sample answer - I've been looking for awhile, can't find any others anywhere online.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Really annoys me how there's such scarce LC resources online. There's such a market for it and skoool.ie is the only one doing anything of any significance. They're good for some things but most of the time they only give a very broad skim over the information. The notes on the comparative texts are useless. For my texts at least.

Well, the problem with the comparatives is that there's such a huge combination of texts that people can chose - it's impossible to put up sample answers for each combinations. But I do agree with you on skoool.ie - their notes can be very vague and not a whole lot of use.
    The thing is, when people are finished with the leaving cert, they really couldn't be bothered putting up their notes during the summer, they're all just glad to have it over with. As well as that, the english course changes its pool of poetry/texts each year - so any notes you may have for LC2004 might not be any use for LC2005.
    I was thinking about maybe trying to setup a website that dealt specifically with the leaving cert and the most popular subjects - relevant links, marking schemes, notes, general tips, maybe a forum - then I realised that there's allready one online right here, but it looks a bit dead. Not much point in putting so much time and effort into a site like that when people just ignore it/can't be bothered with it untill the first week in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

yeah, I checked out that comparative answer on skool.ie a while ago but im not doing any of the texts it compares. I also got a comparative answer when I did a revision course in ashfield but it didn't compare any of my texts either. The comparatives is the only thing I don't have good notes for.

thanks for the replies.

If anyone wants I can put up the comparative answers I got from ashfield.
    it compares Things Fall Apart, On The Waterfront and Dancing At Lughnasa under Literary Genre, Theme and Cultural Context.

I'm doing Things Fall Apart - it'd be great if you could put them up.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

I had to save the pages I scanned as image files because they were hand written so I compressed them using winzip but was unable to upload the zip file. I was going to upload them to some space I have on geocities. you have any idea what the story is?
    sorry about this.

I think I got it working, try it.

you need winzip.

www.geocities.com/eoghancullen/index.html

Thanks for that, downloaded fine. But it's got that weird headache-inducing handwriting. Arghhh. It's weird how he types out the quotes and then leaves everything else handwritten though. Thanks again for the notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Probably a bit too late now, would have asked earlier had the boards not disappeared. Anyway, on the off chance that someone has any notes on Cultural Context for Plough and the Stars or Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, I'd appreciate them.

Advertisement