Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are there any universally loved Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Id listen to Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh all day, he could talk about the life cycle of the earthworm and I would still enjoy his use of language and turn of phrase. Nearest living thing to a hemingway or shaw.

I spent about 10 - 15 minutes in his company at the beginning of the year, he came to visit a fitness program I'm involved in....a gent, a downright nice friendly man. Very few people you’d spend talking with them for such a brief period of time yet be 100% sure ‘one of the good ones’... was weird because having known him as a very outgoing, and verbally excitable guy though the tv....he was chatty but very relaxed and relaxing, looking great for 89 as he was (90 now)...said he does about 30-45 minutes exercising every day still which is his secret to his great health... very nice, very engaging man, enjoyed meeting him. At 90 going around signing autographs and taking pics with everyone too and happy about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

joeguevara wrote: »
    Not many people know but Jack Nicholson considered himself Irish and his mother was so good enough for me. A bigger legend doesn’t exist.

Yeah, but there's actually being Irish, born & bred in Ireland with an Irish accent, then there's the US version if being Irish, or Italian, or German whereby one of yours ancestors hails from a certain country, hence you feel the need to identify with being of that group or nationality, which (in my opinion) is not the same as actually being of that country.

Wiki says ...
    Nicholson's mother was of Irish, English, German, and Welsh descent. His dad was an Italian-American, or possibly Latvian.

Not sure Nicholson is truly Irish with a capital I.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Yeah, but there's actually being Irish, born & bred in Ireland with an Irish accent, then there's the US version if being Irish, or Italian, or German whereby one of yours ancestors hails from a certain country, hence you feel the need to identify with being of that group or nationality, which (in my opinion) is not the same as actually being of that country.

Wiki says ...
    Nicholson's mother was of Irish, English, German, and Welsh descent. His dad was an Italian-American, or possibly Latvian.

Not sure Nicholson is truly Irish with a capital I.

More of a tongue in cheek but if he steps forward on the world stage and says he considers himself Irish, whose going to turn down Jack.

Also, surely everyone in this video is universally loved. Well everyone loves Tipp.

Martin Sheen and Ronald Reagan.

Remember my parents bringing me to ballyporeen to meet Ronald when I was about 5

https://youtu.be/Clrk9L6Cc5U

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

.anon. wrote: »
    Mostly, but there's a cohort of people who really don't like him - they're usually the kind of people who'd use his height and voice against him. Cunts, essentially.

Theres definitely a small but very vocal minority who absolutely despise Michael D.Higgins. I remember when he got re-elected as President there was some posters over on the politics forum who had spent weeks posting their absolute hatred for him before the election. And then after the election they were having a really hard time of accepting the result and accepting that he had won.

The bile and vitriol written about him was a sight to behold. I thought it would end when he got re-elected but it didnt at all. Instead it got even worse. It came to a cresendo when one regular Fine Gael supporter came out and said (in total and complete seriousness) that "Michael D.Higgins is a danger to humanity" :rolleyes: Given that Michael D wouldnt even hurt a fly it was a real eye opener to the kind of hatred posters from the far right have for hiim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Monaghan people, loved by everyone:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I'd say some of the old school actors were well liked, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole, Milo O'Shea. First two in particular had a raffish and roguish reputation.

dd973 wrote: »
    I'd say some of the old school actors were well liked, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole, Milo O'Shea. First two in particular had a raffish and roguish reputation.

Niall Tobin as well. I mentioned Harris and o toole already. Good shout with milo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Daniel O'Donnell
    Andrea Corr
    The non-Bono people in U2

Joe Fcucking Dolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Are there any Irish people who are loved by everybody, or practically would everybody anyway?
    The only 1 I can think of to even come close to it is Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh.
    Any others?

I don't like talking down bout people but I would suspect that he has a very very high opinion of himself, and is infact a glorified spoofer and unmitigated bore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Christy Moore, Christy Ring, Christy Hennessy, Christy Dignam, Christy O'Connor (Snr. and Jnr.).

And Bridget Hitler.

I'd take Bridget Hitler, or any of the family, over Christy Moore any day. Sh*te singer and according to a family member who met him one time, a man averse to showers. No opinion on Christys Ring or Dignam, and I've no idea who Christy Hennessy is. But I did meet Christy O'Connor Jr once and got a putting lesson from him. An absolute gent, one of the nicest people I've ever met, and I believe his uncle was sound too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Gammyeye

Edward from Jedward

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Ekerot wrote: »
    Father Jack from Father Ted

Donald is on some detective showI think set in carabeen I can't take him seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Paul Mcgrath

I don't think he is loved by his ex's. And there is a reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not many people know but Jack Nicholson considered himself Irish and his mother was so good enough for me. A bigger legend doesn’t exist

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/authors/30-great-quotes-about-ireland-and-the-irish/30-great-quotes-about-ireland-and-the-irish14/

https://youtu.be/ND31PWVW-TQ
    Why past tense?
    He doesn't anymore?

lalababa wrote: »
    I don't like talking down bout people but I would suspect that he has a very very high opinion of himself, and is infact a glorified spoofer and unmitigated bore.

Every person interviewed about him say he is the most modest and humble men. He kept crowds of people captivated with his knowledge and wit. Most importantly he didn’t just focus on the big stars and included everyone.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but my god to call him a bore after knowing what all gaa players and fans say...

https://youtu.be/MozhbOFHJOs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Colm Meeney

I meet him once years ago in Glasnevin when he was visiting his mother, I was on way to botanical gardens.

One of the most down to earth people you could ever meet + this when at time when very famous in Ireland with snapper etc released + in Holywood filming Star trek.

As my father would say he was as sound as a pound!

Suckit wrote: »
    Why past tense?
    He doesn't anymore?

Don’t think he considers much these days. And loving it.

appledrop wrote: »
    I meant him once years ago in Glasnevin when he was visiting his mother, I was on way to botanical gardens.

One of the most down to earth people you could ever meet + this when at time when very famous in Ireland with snapper etc released + in Holywood filming Star trek.

Cracked up when Tommy tiernan asked him did he ever feel stupid on Star Trek

https://youtu.be/ciEkqYOaS80

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

O Donovan brothers. Shown worldwide and amazing athletes

https://youtu.be/f5pCPRYvyis

Cringe every time I hear them peddling their arrogant spiels.Not very likable characters.

• Advertisement

Cringe every time I hear them peddling their arrogant spiels.Not very likable characters.

Arrogant? As far from arrogant as could be. Proper country lads.

Not likeable, the rest of the world disagrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,370 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

appledrop wrote: »
    I meet him once years ago in Glasnevin when he was visiting his mother, I was on way to botanical gardens.

He sold out to Paddy Power though

To get a few things off his chest to the Brits

https://youtu.be/2_E5mw7EwVI

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He was probably thrown about a hundred grand for six hours work.

A strange one admittedly, I know he’s not a ‘huge’ star but he’s in about an average of 3 films a year for the last 15-20 years. If he was even pulling an average of 100,000 a film, that’s not including Hell On Wheels, Gangs Of London, Will...other tv work...

Got to be sitting on a few million so to be putting your hand out to PP... odd.

Strumms wrote: »
    He was probably thrown about a hundred grand for six hours work.

A strange one admittedly, I know he’s not a ‘huge’ star but he’s in about an average of 3 films a year for the last 15-20 years. If he was even pulling an average of 100,000 a film, that’s not including Hell On Wheels, Gangs Of London, Will...other tv work...

Got to be sitting on a few million so to be putting your hand out to PP... odd.

Well George clooney does coffee ads and Brad Pitt does whiskey ads in Japan. But more than likely was a follow on from his Brexit rebuke and also he quite openly lambasted the British press about their treatment of Martin McGuinness. He strikes me as loving any opportunity to stick it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Katie Taylor.

Maybe her voice or god loving is too much for some, but never heard anyone who really hates her at least.

If this thread proves anything it’s that nobody is adored totally and somebody who will find fault with someone else no matter how.

Katie Taylor.

Maybe her voice or god loving is too much for some, but never heard anyone who really hates her at least.

If this thread proves anything it’s that nobody is adored totally and somebody who will find fault with someone else no matter how.

I said her and straight away someone said can’t stand her because of her voice and holy god sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I just can't think of the wee f#@&£*s name. But him anyways.

IMG_20200906_021426.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

The crowd in the goat house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

John Hume (with the exception of that stupid c*** Eoghan Harris).

Advertisement