Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone in Ireland that can speak Irish only?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

paul71 wrote: »
    No learning a language is not difficult.
    As someone who had to compete in a class in school with native speakers in their native language. Yes it is. It's enjoyable at times. But if you want to do it well. Its not always going to be easy.

Or maybe for YOU because you are a genius it is. But i am just a normal average dummie! :o

Its grammar drills. And more grammar drills. Its intensive vrs extensive listening. Its intensive vrs extensive reading. Its writing. Its tenses. Its vocab. Its expressive vrs receptive vocab. Its grammar. Its idioms. Its speaking.

Yes its singing songs and dancing and just talking and listening etc.

But yes it has its difficulties for most people.

anplaya27 wrote: »
    Its actually called Irish Sign Language as its native to Ireland. It's a language not only of the hands, but the body and face.

All native sign languages worldwide are different. They have regional variations and accents etc too. They are evolving languages, just like spoken ones.

Would take longer than a year to be fluent. For example, the interpreters you see on tv spend 4 years in trinity colleges school of linguistics learning and then have to shadow for a while before they can attempt to interpret by themselves. They are immersed in not only Irish sign language, but Deaf culture, identity, history, traditions etc.
    Yes. I understand it would take a long time to be fluent. I wouldn't expect anyone to be fluent in a language in a year.

But as an introduction really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I am extremely skeptical.

According to you he speaks 7 languages.

As regards Irish...language learning is hard. It requires dedication and motivation. And at least a few years of immersion. No teacher is going to spoon feed it into you. But bad teachers can really waste your time.

Yes. It's not uncommon on the Continent. Particularly when you grew up speaking two (English and Irish), moved from an area that speaks a specific dialect (Basel Deutsche) to live in an area that speaks a third official language (French), work in an area that speaks a fourth (Italian), have a mother-in-law who only speaks a fifth (High German), adopt a child who only spoke a sixth (Portuguese) and once you get into the habit of learning languages and in the course of your business deal with people across Europe it becomes a no brainer to continue to learn. He drew the line at Dutch however.

One of his daughters speaks 9, but she is Swiss educated.

Just because you appear to have difficulty conceiving of people being polyglots as you live on a fairly monoglot island you really shouldn't extrapolate that to mean people who live surrounded by different languages don't learn many languages.

Anyway, I don't care what you believe.

My brother is a ployglot who began his study of languages while in school in Ireland.
    He credits doing his LC through Irish with helping him get to grips with studying various languages.

Whether or not some stranger on the internet is sceptical makes no difference. He is happily fluent in many languages and you are not.
    I am not either but I can get by in French and Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I met a few in Galway in the 1970s. As another poster has said, it is believed that the last monolingual died in 1998.
    My wife shared accomodation with two sisters from a Munster Gaeltacht in the 1970s and one day they told her that their mother was doing very well with English since she got the television. That was what finished monlingualism, Mr. Ed and The Riordans.
    The only possibility now, a very vague one, is that there is some mentally handicapped person out there who was born with Irish and didn't have the capacity to learn a second language. That was the case with the Slovene-language minority in Austria, but I would think that regarding Irish even that scenario is past its sell-by date.

P.S. I've now read the whole thread and I see what people have written about Alzheimers. Point taken. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

everyone speaks english in ireland,
    How many people leave school who can speak irish fluently, maybe a few per cent.
    i have never met anyone who speaks irish as part of their daily life, going to the shop,s , going to work etc
    lets say you learn french or spanish in school, it might help you get a job
    with a company like facebook or google.
    You might actuually use the language as part of the job.
    irish is like the horse and carriage in 2020,
    people drive cars and use a bus or the luas.
    Young people know irish has a very limited use in modern life.
    its nice to be able to speak irish,
    i think its like playing the fiddle or the bodhran.
    For most people it has very limited value in real life.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Yes. It's not uncommon on the Continent. Particularly when you grew up speaking two (English and Irish), moved from an area that speaks a specific dialect (Basel Deutsche) to live in an area that speaks a third official language (French), work in an area that speaks a fourth (Italian), have a mother-in-law who only speaks a fifth (High German), adopt a child who only spoke a sixth (Portuguese) and once you get into the habit of learning languages and in the course of your business deal with people across Europe it becomes a no brainer to continue to learn. He drew the line at Dutch however.

One of his daughters speaks 9, but she is Swiss educated.

Just because you appear to have difficulty conceiving of people being polyglots as you live on a fairly monoglot island you really shouldn't extrapolate that to mean people who live surrounded by different languages don't learn many languages.

Anyway, I don't care what you believe.

My brother is a ployglot who began his study of languages while in school in Ireland.
    He credits doing his LC through Irish with helping him get to grips with studying various languages.

Whether or not some stranger on the internet is sceptical makes no difference. He is happily fluent in many languages and you are not.
    I am not either but I can get by in French and Irish.

He just seems a bit of a 'benny lewis' that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Okay then, that's unfortunately been your experience. But Cultural Nationalism is a complicated part of Irish history, in both Irish and English. And, of course, some people are just dicks. I just wish you didn't think that every single Gaeilgeoir in the country was the very same.

Some love the Aisling poems of the 16th and 17th centuries. Some love the Blasket autobiographies or the Fionn and the Fianna stuff, or the Ruairíocht stories further north, or the poetry of Nuala Ní Dhomhnall. Most of them are just regular people who watch the Premier League and Netflix and listen to Spotify, who don't get too bogged down about holding onto the past at all.

4% of our population speaks Irish on a daily basis.

There were more people speaking Polish at one point on this Island than Irish.

Yet every road sign, every official document has to be double printed in this ancient dead/dying language - just to keep these zealots happy. And it gets forced down kids throats in school...

If it's such a great and vital language, then why force it on people? Why not let it stand on its own merits and see what happens?

You guys are terrified to let the language stand on its own two feet... because you know damn well what would happen. Most people would move on and leave the language where it belongs, in the history books, in library books... just like other languages that fell out of use.

Life moves on - and so do languages. Irish is being kept on life support for far too long now.

Most people are thinking these things, but don't want to be the one's to say it... because they'll get accused of being unpatriotic.

I couldn't give a toss if central europeans can speak 20 languages. Speaking multiple languages does not prove you are smarter than anyone else - some people just have a knack for picking up languages.

It's far more important to master one language, rather than being average at 5 or 6... and ultimately the future of this world will require one world language to develop, otherwise we will never really achieve any kind of global unity as a species.

At the end of the day, language is mostly just a tool for communication. The cultural significance of language is massively exaggerated by many people.

Culture does not exist because of a specific language... it is actually the opposite way around, our languages develop out of our culture. But those languages evolve and change, as we evolve and change throughout history.

Irish has simply been left behind, and replaced by another language that is much more useful and pragmatic for our people in everyday life. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

riclad wrote: »
    everyone speaks english in ireland,
    How many people leave school who can speak irish fluently, maybe a few per cent.
    i have never met anyone who speaks irish as part of their daily life, going to the shop,s , going to work etc
    lets say you learn french or spanish in school, it might help you get a job
    with a company like facebook or google.
    You might actuually use the language as part of the job.
    For most people it has very limited value in real life.

There are more people than you know who speak Irish,

The total number of persons (aged 3 and over) who could speak Irish in April 2016 was 1,761,420, representing 39.8 per cent of the population. This is a decrease of 13,017 on the 2011 figure of 1,774,437. More females than males identified themselves as being able to speak Irish with 968,777 female speakers (55%) compared with 792,643 males (45%), a pattern repeated from previous censuses (excluding not stated).

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp10esil/p10esil/ilg/

All those people were happy to say they spoke Irish on a government document. I use Irish daily when shopping in Lidl and talking to my kids because I love the sound of the language.

He just seems a bit of a 'benny lewis' that's all.

If by that you mean a wealthy and successful businessman then yes he is.
    All due to hard work and being able to converse with clients in their native language - including in the Gaelteacht.
    He's also a bit 'Swiss' which just proves all silver linings have a cloud. :P

If by that you mean a wealthy and successful businessman then yes he is.
    All due to hard work and being able to converse with clients in their native language - including in the Gaelteacht.
    He's also a bit 'Swiss' which just proves all silver linings have a cloud. :P
    Benny Lewis is a guy who swears he has fluent spanish but can't barely put a sentence together.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You guys are terrified to let the language stand on its own two feet... because you know damn well what would happen.

I get the impression you haven't read my replies to you, and are really just here to vent. Let me know if you're planning on responding to the points that I actually posted.

I get the impression you haven't read my replies to you, and are really just here to vent. Let me know if you're planning on responding to the points that I actually posted.

I could say the very same to you...

But we both know, there is very little comeback to some of the points I've made... so I don't blame you for sidestepping them. ;)

khalessi wrote: »

All those people were happy to say they spoke Irish on a government document. .

Yes but ...we know they don't.

Goddamit ....i've lost my routledge spanish grammar book now!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I could say the very same to you...

But we both know, there is very little comeback to some of the points I've made... so I don't blame you for sidestepping them. ;)

I'm pretty sure there an anti-Irish bingo card meme online, and all you've done in your rants is rattle off the same clichés that get trotted out every time someone mentions Gaeilge on After Hours. At least try to offer something original if you're looking for an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

As someone who had to compete in a class in school with native speakers in their native language. Yes it is. It's enjoyable at times. But if you want to do it well. Its not always going to be easy.

Or maybe for YOU because you are a genius it is. But i am just a normal average dummie! :o

Its grammar drills. And more grammar drills. Its intensive vrs extensive listening. Its intensive vrs extensive reading. Its writing. Its tenses. Its vocab. Its expressive vrs receptive vocab. Its grammar. Its idioms. Its speaking.

But yes it has its difficulties for most people.

You dont need to be a genius, in fact I have met quite a few profoundly stupid, multilinguists. Fact 54% of people in Europe are Bilingual, 14% speak 3, 2% speak 3 or more. So the majority of people have no problem learning 2 languages. 2% or 1 in 50 speak 3 or more, that is too large a number to be difficult.

I am no genius and I learnt my 5th language at the age of 40.

It’s very simple. “Ní maith” means “don’t like.”

Ó Mannion - “From Mannion”

Ní Mannion - “Not (really) Mannion”

The official story is that “Ní” is just the female version in this case but I find it difficult to believe they simply took a negative word to use it as a positive prefix, referring to women, without thinking about it.

Ní is an abbreviation of iníon.

KevRossi wrote: »
    The last monoglot Irish speaker in Co. Dublin was recorded in the 1831 census in Glenasmole (past Bohernabreena). Her family descendants still live there.

And the last person with native Dublin Irish, (not a monoglot) is said to have died in Kimmage in the 1930s, a native of the same area, one of the glens, probably Glenasmole itself.

feargale wrote: »
    And the last person with native Dublin Irish, (not a monoglot) is said to have died in Kimmage in the 1930s, a native of the same area, one of the glens, probably Glenasmole itself.

I remember a teacher in primary school stating that Irish had not been spoken in Leinster since the 12th century, I knew he was wrong but at the age of 8 I did not have the courage to call his bull****.

You dont need to be a genius, in fact I have met quite a few profoundly stupid, multilinguists. Fact 54% of people in Europe are Bilingual, 14% speak 3, 2% speak 3 or more. So the majority of people have no problem learning 2 languages. 2% or 1 in 50 speak 3 or more, that is too large a number to be difficult.

I am no genius and I learnt my 5th language at the age of 40.
    Si hablas espanol puedo practicar contigo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

riclad wrote: »

No, that is the argument of 1900.

It was not considered the language of "progress", of "young people" in 1900.

There are in fact many, many more opportunities for someone with Irish today than there was in 1900, believe it or not.

This development would have been unthinkable to both everyday Irish and English speakers in 1900, (as would 1916 etc... but sin scéal eile)

Now, a minority language is never going to be an employment panacea, however one can genuinely work with Irish in several fields (particularly education and media) and not only fields directly paid for by the state. (Although most are paid by the state).

So Irish is still there and thankfully will be for some time to come!

Si hablas espanol puedo practicar contigo?

Ne, ale mluvím česky jako opilý námořník.

Ne, ale mluvím česky jako opilý námořník.
    No, but I speak Czech like a drunk sailor.

Damn its proving hard to find native spanish speakers in dublin.:mad:

Nice czech tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Im sorry with all due respect. I don't believe his LC gave him the necessary level of any language.
    I am extremely skeptical.

According to you he speaks 7 languages.

In fact, for the vast majority of humanity, "learning a language" is only the last bit - singing songs and dancing and just talking and listening etc. That's exactly how children learn, and they're usually pretty fluent in the basics of grammar by the age of about seven. After that, any "improvement" in language skills is essentially nothing more than increasing your vocabulary.

You might be sceptical about the abilities of friends of other posters, but I can tell you from first-hand experience, that I came to France fifteen years ago with nothing more than the French for which I'd got a B in the Leaving Cert more than ten years previously. I have never been to any top-up classes, and yet I can work, rest and play with the French without any problem.

I also spent one single year learning German at first-year secondary school level, way back in 1980. That's enough for me to be able to explain to Germans in German (or Swiss in German, for that matter) how to dance French traditional dances. And no, that's not a hypothetical situation - my work takes me to the Franco-Swiss-German triangle, where I like to spend my weekends trad-dancing with the natives, some of whom have never been to such an event before. It does not take much learning to be able to give instructions, nor to engage in small talk. Ditto for Italian.

And arising from an embarrassing incident, when I was given a microphone, asked to "speak Irish" and failed (more due to the pressure of an unexpected spotlight than a lack of vocab, but still ...) I've made a conscious effort to listen frequently to Radio na Gaeltachta, to keep my ear attuned to the rhythms and some useful words and phrases in an accessible part of my brain.

FWIW, I had two Bretons stay with me this week, and it became a running joke that they had to communicate between them in reviled French and English because they guy from North Brittany couldn't understand the guy from South Brittany when they spoke Breton - a language that suffered exactly the same fate as Irish at the hands of the colonial powers.

I need a spanish speaking boyfriend for like a year or two! Just to get my fluency up!

FREE SEX FOR SPANISH LESSONS!

Damn its proving hard to find native spanish speakers in dublin.:mad:

Nice czech tho.

It was the only language I learnt without being taught. (other than Irish or English) while the the grammar, vocab is vastly different to my other languages the fact that I speak Irish was a huge advantage in terms of pronouncing certain things. This is an advantage we are casting aside by not embracing bilingualism in Ireland.

Learning a 3rd language is vastly easier then learning a second and we have the perfect vehicle to that in a language that is in a separate group to the Germanic languages.

I'm pretty sure there an anti-Irish bingo card meme online, and all you've done in your rants is rattle off the same clichés that get trotted out every time someone mentions Gaeilge on After Hours. At least try to offer something original if you're looking for an argument.

So you want me to come up with some exciting new points, just because you're bored with the same old reliables? :rolleyes:

No... I think I'll stick to the same old reliable battle tested arguments. Because they're strong points. (Clearly very strong, as you've made no attempt at a rebuttal)

If you're bored that's your problem. I'm not your dancing monkey... go entertain yourself! :p

It was the only language I learnt without being taught. (other than Irish or English) while the the grammar, vocab is vastly different to my other languages the fact that I speak Irish was a huge advantage in terms of pronouncing certain things. This is an advantage we are casting aside by not embracing bilingualism in Ireland.

Learning a 3rd language is vastly easier then learning a second and we have the perfect vehicle to that in a language that is in a separate group to the Germanic languages.
    True

Benny Lewis is a guy who swears he has fluent spanish but can't barely put a sentence together.

Rather like people who claim to be fluent in English?

• Advertisement

Rather like people who claim to be fluent in English?
    Yes it actually happens.

Advertisement