Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couple Ordered to Demolish House - any update?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

There was a lad not far from here who built a small bungalow on his site with no p.p. which already had a few small sheds .This was in arse whole of nowhere forestry all around it and K.c.c. rightly or wrongly made him knock it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what about log cabins? there everywhere now without planning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Dickie10 wrote: »
    what about log cabins? there everywhere now without planning

A lot are classed as temporary structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I would make them take it down themselves with lump hammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

bladespin wrote: »
    A lot are classed as temporary structures.

No they are not, we don't have exemptions for temporary structures. If someone lives in them they are in breech of planning

• Advertisement

No they are not, we don't have exemptions for temporary structures. If someone lives in them they are in breech of planning

Not fixed to ground so temporary, also depends on where you locate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

bladespin wrote: »
    Not fixed to ground so temporary, also depends on where you locate them.

No, anything you live in and is connected to services needs planning. Just because it isn't fixed to the ground doesn't mean it is exempt. You may be thinking of the UK, which has different requirements.

Log cabins, fixed or not, require planning if you live in them. Otherwise they are a shed.

No, anything you live in and is connected to services needs planning. Just because it isn't fixed to the ground doesn't mean it is exempt. You may be thinking of the UK, which has different requirements.

Log cabins, fixed or not, require planning if you live in them. Otherwise they are a shed.

Think you should knock in and tell them so ;).

Not thinking about any requirements just the rubbish I’ve gotten from sales etc, there are plenty who want to and will believe anything, very little being done just reinforces the theory

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

boombang wrote: »
    I would make them take it down themselves with lump hammers.

You actually wouldn’t. If you knew the chap that owns this house it’s gonna take the Irish army to go in to knock it. Even then they better ask him nicely ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

2018na wrote: »
    You actually wouldn’t. If you knew the chap that owns this house it’s gonna take the Irish army to go in to knock it. Even then they better ask him nicely ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Can you own a house that has a demolition order??? The site maybe, would be saving a fortune on property tax though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It can only be arrogance or dodginess at play here. I've seen people chance things with sheds and extension, seeking retention later but this is something else altogether.

I couldn't imagine taking a chance pumping huge sums of money into construction when you know full well that money and effort could be for nothing if it has to be knocked.

Needless to say the house is worth fcuk all on the open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Should be made knock it themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

2018na wrote: »

If you knew the chap that owns this house it’s gonna take the Irish army to go in to knock it. Even then they better ask him nicely

So because he's a hard man he's allowed to flout the law with impunity?

Jokeshop country when both a County Manager and some self-important cowboy plumber can both pull down their trousers and wriggle their spotty backsides at the highest Court in the land without fear of any sanction whatsoever being applied to them.

If that fat clown from Malahide who is Minister for Housing had any cojones then he'd give the County Manager a month to have the house demolished, failing which he'd sack him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Having dealt with SDCC I am actually on the side of the builders here.

JG009 wrote: »
    Having dealt with SDCC I am actually on the side of the builders here.

Having eaten a banana I hate grapefruit.

Impressive logic right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Having eaten a banana I hate grapefruit.

Impressive logic right enough.

Except we are talking about councils refusing planning applications and not bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Size of it!!! Even the garage is gigantic! Jesus, if you're gonna break the rules at least be discreet!!! It really is so arrogant. Thought they were untouchable. If we all behaved like this where would we be?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Tiger20

No comment on the size of the house, but as someone who has been through the planning process and being familiar with local authority development plans, I say fair ****s to them. I have a huge issue with locals only, as an Irish citizen and under our constitution I have the same rights as every other person, so if they are allowed planning then so should I. Also, I was told issue x y and z meant I couldn't get planning, only to witness others with exact same things granted planning. I have seen people with no housing need granted planning, people with 2nd houses granted planning etc. It is definitely a situation of one rule for you anda different rule for others, so until the laws of this country are applied equally, then I say **** you to the authorities. Best of luck to the Murrays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Tiger20 wrote: »
    No comment on the size of the house, but as someone who has been through the planning process and being familiar with local authority development plans, I say fair ****s to them. I have a huge issue with locals only, as an Irish citizen and under our constitution I have the same rights as every other person, so if they are allowed planning then so should I. Also, I was told issue x y and z meant I couldn't get planning, only to witness others with exact same things granted planning. I have seen people with no housing need granted planning, people with 2nd houses granted planning etc. It is definitely a situation of one rule for you anda different rule for others, so until the laws of this country are applied equally, then I say **** you to the authorities. Best of luck to the Murrays

On what grounds were you refused planning permission?

Murrays probably thought the 4 year rule would apply

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

cute geoge wrote: »
    There was a lad not far from here who built a small bungalow on his site with no p.p. which already had a few small sheds .This was in arse whole of nowhere forestry all around it and K.c.c. rightly or wrongly made him knock it .

I think Kerry CC also made a person who build a house down around Kenmore demolish a house.i think they had previously applied for planning and were refused. I think it happened in the noughties.

There are declared structures you do not need planning for such as a pump house, limited structures in a farm yard, limited extension's to a house etc. Most structures need planning to build or modify. There was an arrogance 10-15+years ago that if you build it you would always get retention. Someone was always going to suffer. I am surprised that MCC after going so far have not sought to implement the decision.

There was also the case in Kerry where a farmer objected to someone seeking planning in a field they owned over a ring fort. He then bought the field and bulldozed the ring fort. KCC took him to court and he was fined and had to pay court costs. It cost him about 80k I think

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I was eventually granted planning, on my 3rd attempt. Reasons I was refused were that I wasnt local and wasnt within the A3 zone, (which are subjective), but I knew of other applications where other people were granted planning despite being not locall, and in fact from other countries. I was refused because apparently I didn't have a housing need because Ihad a 2 bedroom house already. This despite the fact that if you are in a2 bed local authority house, you are entitled to a 3 bed if you have 3 kids, so different criteria applied by the same authority in different situations. I was told my proposed dwelling was too large,(220 sq m), despite it being smaller than the 300 sq m house on one side and the 285 sq m house on the other. I have seen people who already have a house granted planning, with them not declaring the fact they have one but questions not being asked by the LA, and others who are genuine and in need being refused. I have seen people who are "connected", either by being GAA heads or business owners, getting planning. One person I know had a large house on 4 acres, granted permission to "downsize" to a 200 sq m house on 2 acres within the original 4, and then repeat the trick 15 years later to an acre site within the 2 acre site. My point is that their is zero consistency within decisions made, and if the authorities want respect, then all laws should be applied equally. Look at people who have shoplifted and get prosecuted, but white collar criminals who do much more damage getting away with it. I feel that this country belongs to every citizen equally, but the laws are not applied that way. So fair ****s to people who challenge the authorities of this country

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I seriously doubt an architect was engaged for this building!
    Generally architects know sweet FA about planning!
    If that fat clown from Malahide who is Minister for Housing had any cojones then he'd give the County Manager a month to have the house demolished, failing which he'd sack him.
    Brave words :rolleyes:
    Does the minister have the authorisation to instruct a county manager to knock an unauthorised development or sack a county manager?
    You can also bet that if the housing Minister got involved in insisting on the demolition of an unauthorised development, you'd have a gaggle of SJWs moaning about how the homeless could have been housed, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

...I say **** you to the authorities. Best of luck to the Murrays

I'm sure you are a nice person, but this, in a nutshell, is everything that's wrong with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Jayus lads, would be a great shame to knock her all the same. not to mention the "wilful act brings a woeful want"

could they not move her up the road to cavan?for a few £££s we'd let them keep her upright.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Jayus lads, would be a great shame to knock her all the same.
    It's absolutely rotten looking. Far too many of those tasteless "mansions" around the country that should never have been allowed have the sod turned on them.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I'm sure you are a nice person, but this, in a nutshell, is everything that's wrong with Ireland.

I agree wholeheartedly.....unfortunately IMO the authorities do no deserve respect. For instance, you pay property tax, but can anyone tell me what you get for that? Absolutely nothing that was not provided before. In other countries, like UK, Belguim, Spain, your bins, street cleaning, school books etc are included , but not here. When we tried to introduce the one tax that you got what you paid for, (water charge) we as a nation refuse to pay it. Use 500 litres of water, pay for 500 litres of water. Your neighbor's use 1000 litres of water, they pay for 1000 litres. Another example is the NCT, where your vehicle must meet very specific criteria re its condition, but leave the test centre and the roads you drive on do not meet any criteria or standard. Are you telling me that an N classified road is of the same standard ? You can go from a dual carriageway to a single lane to a narrow twisty road along the same road. Drive from Cork city to Bantry sometime, and believe me you would not find worse roads in third world countries. TBH, I find your post a bit condescending, that what's wrong with Ireland is people who no longer want to accept the bull**** we put up with. Imagine our revolutionary heroes that we celebrate had that attitude, that we must accept what the authorities say, just because they've the authorities. Again, my point is that if our lawmakers want our respect,, then they should enact laws that are fair, universal transpateny and applied equally. Unfortunately, my experience is that this is not the case

I agree wholeheartedly.....unfortunately IMO the authorities do no deserve respect. For instance, you pay property tax, but can anyone tell me what you get for that? Absolutely nothing that was not provided before. In other countries, like UK, Belguim, Spain, your bins, street cleaning, school books etc are included , but not here. When we tried to introduce the one tax that you got what you paid for, (water charge) we as a nation refuse to pay it. Use 500 litres of water, pay for 500 litres of water. Your neighbor's use 1000 litres of water, they pay for 1000 litres. Another example is the NCT, where your vehicle must meet very specific criteria re its condition, but leave the test centre and the roads you drive on do not meet any criteria or standard. Are you telling me that an N classified road is of the same standard ? You can go from a dual carriageway to a single lane to a narrow twisty road along the same road. Drive from Cork city to Bantry sometime, and believe me you would not find worse roads in third world countries. TBH, I find your post a bit condescending, that what's wrong with Ireland is people who no longer want to accept the bull**** we put up with. Imagine our revolutionary heroes that we celebrate had that attitude, that we must accept what the authorities say, just because they've the authorities. Again, my point is that if our lawmakers want our respect,, then they should enact laws that are fair, universal transpateny and applied equally. Unfortunately, my experience is that this is not the case
    Do tou feel better after blurting out that nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

For instance, you pay property tax, but can anyone tell me what you get for that? .... In other countries, like UK, Belguim, Spain, your bins, street cleaning, school books etc are included , but not here.

I live in Belgium; this is pure invention.

You seem to be suggesting that, because planning isn't perfect in Ireland (and I'll concede that it isn't), there should be a free-for-all, and fair fecks to anyone who can get away with it. What if you decided to build some McMansion and got away with it, but then I bought the parcel of land next door and decided to open a sulpher mine or a meat rendering plant and got away with that, where would we be then?

Does the minister have the authorisation to instruct a county manager to knock an unauthorised development or sack a county manager?

I would imagine that The Minister has the authorisation to instruct a public servant to uphold the law of the land. If the public servant subsequently disobeys the Minister then that would be grounds for a disciplinary process which could end up with his or her dismissal.

• Advertisement

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Thought they were untouchable.

But they've gotten away with it..?

Advertisement