Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Snap, T0-180Hours Only

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Its at times like this you'd miss the analysis of Maq, thetonynator or Deep Easterly :(

Lads if ye're lurkin, please come back!!!

Sorry if the question was annoyingly basic. Meteorology is a very narrow field of expertise and its only natural that at times like this people with expertise in other areas try to 'upskill' into something they've an interest in.

I was looking at this precip chart and assumed it was suggesting snow.

190279.jpg

Apologies for the silly question.. I'll go back to reading until Im up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

darkman2 wrote: »
    My understanding is that the starting point changes - 00hrs the models start with the data collected from all over the world (bouys, met stations, aircraft measurements etc) at the time the run started (in this case 12pm) and the data is always different to varying degrees to that originally forecast so the outcome changes. The changes get more and more wide as the run progresses and the variables get bigger and bigger. Essentially they are operating off a sort of chaos theory which science can never overcome. The data is processed through supercomputers and complex algorithms to produce a forecast. The forecast is always different to the last one.

Talking as a professional modeller we have the following points.
    Firstly most models use historic data as a point of reference. The issue here may be that this type of setup is historically rare & or the time when the setups happened the level of detail taken was poor.
    Secondly the most complex models I work with have perhaps 10 'Gross Influence' parameters, those things that alter models beyond others. I guess in weather forecasting there are more than 10.
    Thirdly the starting position moves.
    Fourthly the 'butterfly effect' (read up on that one)
    Fifthly the sheer complexity of the models, which are orders more complex than anything I have created (probably more complex than all the models I have ever created put together).

Even with my own simple models in comparison, forecasting to 80% accuracy in the short term (3 days for weather) is classed as a successful model. A change in maybe 2 of the 10 gross influence variables radically changes the output.

So always take a pinch of salt with the forecasts and take 2 pinches with relatively rare setups like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Trotter wrote: »
    Sorry if the question was annoyingly basic. Meteorology is a very narrow field of expertise and its only natural that at times like this people with expertise in other areas try to 'upskill' into something they've an interest in.

Apologies for the silly question.. I'll go back to reading until Im up to speed.
    Yes you are right, that image shows snow precipitation over Ireland. Of course, that is a long way off at the moment so patience is essential to tolerate the chops and changes that will occur over the next days re precise details of any wintry precip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

rc28 wrote: »
    Yes you are right, that image shows snow precipitation over Ireland. Of course, that is a long way off at the moment so patience is essential to tolerate the chops and changes that will occur over the next days re precise details of any wintry precip.

Thanks for the reply! What element of the high pressure would stop the precip in this case? Is it that the cold air / high pressure travelling west towards us would be high enough to hold any precip away from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Thanks for the reply! What element of the high pressure would stop the precip in this case? Is it that the cold air / high pressure travelling west towards us would be high enough to hold any precip away from it?

High pressure means cooler air (warm air rises meaning pressure goes down therefore it must be cooler air)
    Cooler air means less cloud (cold air cannot hold as much moistuire as warm air and moisture makes clouds)
    Less cloud = less precip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

If pressure is too high then convection could not occur over the Irish sea (convection would produce snow showers in such cold uppers). However, if there is a sufficient temperature gradient (ie difference between the cold air aloft and the warm waters of the sea) then convection becomes much more likely even under relatively high pressure. I remember before the cold spell last November/Dec 2010 people were saying pressure was too high for snow showers but, as it turned out, the upper temperatures were cold enough when passing over the warm Irish sea to produce those great snowfalls :)

Btw I am no expert, just going on what I have learnt over casual following of the weather over the last few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The ECM ensemble analysis is out

Good agreement to 96hrs then real divergence starts to happen illustrating uncertainty.

Reem961.gif

The positive is we do come under the influence of the Siberian air

Reem1682.gif

Lots of chopping and changing to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ch750536 wrote: »
    Talking as a professional modeller we have the following points.
    Firstly most models use historic data as a point of reference. The issue here may be that this type of setup is historically rare & or the time when the setups happened the level of detail taken was poor.
    Secondly the most complex models I work with have perhaps 10 'Gross Influence' parameters, those things that alter models beyond others. I guess in weather forecasting there are more than 10.
    Thirdly the starting position moves.
    Fourthly the 'butterfly effect' (read up on that one)
    Fifthly the sheer complexity of the models, which are orders more complex than anything I have created (probably more complex than all the models I have ever created put together).

Even with my own simple models in comparison, forecasting to 80% accuracy in the short term (3 days for weather) is classed as a successful model. A change in maybe 2 of the 10 gross influence variables radically changes the output.

So always take a pinch of salt with the forecasts and take 2 pinches with relatively rare setups like this.

I agree with your entire post except for one point, I asked over on netweather a few years ago about the data input into the models and apparently they dont have any historical data fed into them at all.

Models looking excellent this evening bar the UKMO- You NEED that to come on board before been anywhere near certain of severe cold.

Hopefully the GFS 18Z is good- even if it isnt dont worry, its not very reliable. :)

Dan :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

Well that chart is 192h away so its FI but yes its a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Its at times like this you'd miss the analysis of Maq, thetonynator or Deep Easterly :(

no disrespect to those guys, but darkman, su campu, weathercheck, harps, enderman, black briar and not forgetting Dan(Blizzard7) provide just as good analysis as anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

190279.jpg

There's no such thing as a silly question! Nobody ever gets up to speed with meteorology, it just gets deeper and deeper until you're brain is fried(that's the best part :) ). Woops, sorry only saw you're question there now! It's a bit far out at this stage to be looking at particulars like the chart above. But in general it will be very hard for convectional showers to build on the Irish sea. This was the source of snow in our most recent big cold spells. That chart you have there shows a breakdown situation where a warm front come in from the atlantic, and would probably turn to rain as it gets milder.

no disrespect to those guys, but darkman, su campu, weathercheck, harps, enderman, black briar, provide just as good analysis as anyone.

They sure do, but more the merrier and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭airsofter1234

i am wondering what the weather will be like in the wicklow mountains tomorrow , will it rain? i saw snow in the car from a distance how deep is it?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

A little video of how the GFS 6z and 12z evolved

Am really impressed with your vid skills. Well done. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Plenty snow on the Wicklow mountains today,viewed form nearby Carlow!

but will it be there tommorrow because of the rise in temp and rain predicted will it rain or snow at that height?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Yes it is the most accurate of the medium term models, which is why i wont get excited until the ECM backs the GFS.

Maybe you should talk to seanknowsall!!!! Lol

Who? :confused:

Maybe you should talk to seanknowsall!!!! Lol

Of course, why bother looking at charts at all! :pac:

but will it be there tommorrow because of the rise in temp and rain predicted will it rain or snow at that height?
    thanks

Hi, yes the snow will still be there tomorrow. Yes, chances are it will be snowing in the mountains tomorrow above around 350m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

darkman2 wrote: »
    The ECM ensemble analysis is out

Good agreement to 96hrs then real divergence starts to happen illustrating uncertainty.

Reem961.gif

The positive is we do come under the influence of the Siberian air

Reem1682.gif

Lots of chopping and changing to go yet.
    Kind of explains met eireanns hesitance to go beyond saying next week will be cold.

thanks a lot:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Icanseethewind

why was my post removed???

blackius wrote: »
    Kind of explains met eireanns hesitance to go beyond saying next week will be cold.

Aye but it's important important to take note of the NOAA discussions today. Upstream troughing in the US is progged very uncertainly with an emphasis on the effect downstream in Europe. Suggestions the models are getting to grips with a westward propagation of events in Europe. This can only be positive for future runs in terms of getting the deep cold air this far west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Iv'e opened up a chat thread about possible cold spell,please leave this one for Model Discussion Only

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056532735

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

why was my post removed???

It was put into the Weather and Nature thread as thats what your post related to

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76781135#post76781135

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Tonight's ECM Ens are not showing much change at all from previous runs with Ireland more or less continuing to be stuck between the might of continental and Atlantic air masses:

168hrs chart:
    190286.gif
    with neither taking any real firm hold. A real fence sitter if ever there was one!

18z GFS is absolutely fine up to 72hrs

Tuesday night is looking like the first subzero night of this period

Rtavn8417.png

By Thursday night things are freezing indeed.

Rtavn13217.png

Friday night...

Rtavn15617.png

Siberia arrives in Spain

Rtavn1682.png

• Advertisement

And just for the laugh here is the monster breakdown blizzard

Rtavn2162.png

Rtavn2164.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement